Rumchata Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Almonds, Cinnamon, Honeybush, Organic Flavours
Edit tea info Last updated by Pyroxy

• “I need to write a review on this one, though I won't rate it to avoid the appearance of manipulating the rating system. My wife loves the honeybush blends. I love the fruity ones that make...” Read full tasting note
    52teas 47 tasting notes
  • “*From the LiberTEAS sampler I bought a while back* Dry this tea actually smelled slightly soured - I had to check and make sure there wasn't any coconut, as it had that sort of off note to it....” Read full tasting note
    Pyroxy 111 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I really liked this one. I love horchata, and while I have never actually tasted rumchata (I actually recently discovered that this is something that can be purchased in the liquor...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4212 tasting notes

From 52teas

My helper Kelley has been hounding me about making a Rumchata blend for a while, so I decided to finally give in. In any event, I think she’s got a real winner here. This is a sort of spiced, creamy rum with elements of horchata, almonds, cinnamon and other spices and a sweet creamy finish. Honeybush seems a natural compliment to it. I think you guys are going to like it a lot.

Tea of the Week for the Week of December 9, 2013

About 52teas View company

I need to write a review on this one, though I won’t rate it to avoid the appearance of manipulating the rating system.

My wife loves the honeybush blends. I love the fruity ones that make good iced teas, but she likes hot tea. I’ve never been a hot tea drinker, and I know that’s weird given my profession, but I love iced tea.

Anyway, we steeped a bunch of this like we usually do, enough to make her a hot cup and for me to make a glass of it iced, and I was a bit preoccupied and decided I could let mine sit a while and cool while I was working on something else, but she had her mug and immediately started mmmmmm-ing and ahhhh-ing and “oh my”-ing and offered me a sip.

I’ve never had a tea that I would actually crave as a hot tea. Until now.

To be honest, I’ve never had rumchata (remember, my helper had this idea), so I can’t say if it actually tastes like rumchata or not. I can say that to me, it tastes like a spice cookie dipped in sweet heavy cream. It is sweet and creamyish (considering it has no milk or cream in it) and sweetly spicy. It tastes like Christmas! Like grandma’s Christmas baking was blended into a cup of spiced, sweetened eggnog or something.

This is still yummy iced, but as a hot tea, it is amazing. It’s like it just makes you happy from the inside out.

Sorry. You know I don’t normally toot my own horn like this, but seriously, this is a tea you’re going to want to get your hands on.

Lala

I really had no interest in this one when you announced it, but you make it sound so delicious.

52teas

It really is. It’s one of those rare creations that surprised me even.

From the LiberTEAS sampler I bought a while back

Dry this tea actually smelled slightly soured – I had to check and make sure there wasn’t any coconut, as it had that sort of off note to it. Once it brewed up the smell was gone, but I still can’t quite put my finger on what the aroma is supposed to be.

Thankfully the flavour is actually really nice once it steeped. There’s a vanilla-esque sweetness that sits at the forefront, followed by a warm (possibly cinnamon?) spice and an indistinguishably toasty/baked note that I think comes from the honeybush.

I haven’t tried rumchata…but if it tastes as nice as this tea it might just be worth pouring a glass sometime. :)

And as it cools it mellows out into a sweetly savoury, quite delightful tea. I’m not sure I would buy this again for myself – since I don’t think I’m a honeybush/rooibos super-fan – but as a present/sample it was rather nice.

Backlog:

I really liked this one. I love horchata, and while I have never actually tasted rumchata (I actually recently discovered that this is something that can be purchased in the liquor section of the grocery store. I don’t shop there very often … and had no idea that such a thing existed.)

But I like the concept of adding some rum to horchata. And this is yummy. I actually recommended to Frank that he try this flavor with Genmaicha since the rice-y flavor of the genmaicha would be very complementary to the horchata flavors. I hope he does that soon.

Anyway … the cinnamon adds a nice warmth to the cup. I do like the sweet, nutty flavor that the honeybush adds to this too (although genmaicha would be better, methinks.) Very tasty … and Frank proves once again that he has a way with honeybush.