Sugar Plum Shou Mei

White Tea
Hay, Honey, Lavender, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “I am getting a lot of lavender from this one. There is a sweet fruitiness and the white base is prominent as well but mostly it is lavender. I can't decided if I like it or not. Luckily I have one...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2005 tasting notes
  • “I never did get to try this one from the Christmas hamper at the right time, unfortunately I became ill and couldn't taste much so I saved it for future steeping. Right now I need to use up as much...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1137 tasting notes
  • “The 12th day of 52 teas 12 Days of Christmas. I think this was a good choice for the last tea. It was also neat that is was not a repeat from the rest of the year but a brand new tea. I don't...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 783 tasting notes
  • “Yes! This is definitely a CrowKettle tea. I've never had the actual sugarplum dessert but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it! This is a sweet and sugary white tea, with a wisp of syrupy stone...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 507 tasting notes

From 52teas

Our Tea of the Week for the week of December 23, 2013

This year’s Christmas week blend is inspired by goodies the vision of which supposedly danced in sleeping children’s heads before they had My Little Ponies to dream about. So here’s my attempt at a sugar plum shou mei complete with some lavender flowers. I sure hope you enjoy it.

See everything we currently have in stock HERE: http://www.zoomdweebies.com/Available-NOW_c_32.html

About 52teas View company

Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: floral, lavendar, sweet, fruity
Steeped Tea Smell: floral, sweet
Flavor: floral, lavendar, slightly soapy, sweet, hint vegetal
Body: Light
Aftertaste: soapy
Liquor: translucent light yellow green

Rating: 2/4 leaves

Blog: http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2014/01/52teas-loose-leaf-white-tea-sugar-plum.html

This is from my swap with KiwiDelight. I’m certainly not expecting much, as I tend to be disappointed by 52teas blends. The leaves here are very broken, and there are a couple of super long stems included. I saw some fuzzy little buds, but after reading the tea’s description, I realize that they were lavender flowers. Ick. I didn’t realize sugar plums involved lavender… There wasn’t much of a dry scent, perhaps a little bit of vague sweetness.

Ugh… The strongest scent in the steeped tea is lavender. I can also smell a little bit of honey from the white tea. Ergh, yup, this taste strongly of lavender and not much else. I can sort of taste the white tea, there’s a bit of hay flavor and some honey notes. Mostly though, it’s just lavender. Not for me!

Flavors: Hay, Honey, Lavender

KiwiDelight

Funny, I can’t taste any lavender at all…

Sorry you were disappointed by all of 52teas I sent :(

I received this tea in my 52 teas sampler from Marzipan. Not bad but not the best, it’s much like the other white tea I drank……too weak.

Flavors: Flowers

Thanks again for the sale, 52Teas and Marzipan for splitting the teas! Such a low rating with this one, but I think it needs to be slightly higher. Shou Mei white tea with plum flavor and lavender. Sounds good to me! I expected tons of lavender and no plum but it’s actually the opposite. I did see a few pieces of lavender in the teaspoon but the flavor is barely noticeable. There IS a sweet plum flavor that was reminded me of another tea and then I remembered it was the plum iced tea from 52Teas that I love! The flavor is subtle but it works with this shou mei. A lovely blend. I definitely suggest steeping it the way I steeped the first cup, as the white tea (or lavender) doesn’t get a chance to overpower the flavor.) I’ll enjoy the few teaspoons I have left!
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 30 min after boiling // 45 sec steep
Steep #2 // 23 min after boiling // 2 min

Marzipan

What temperature do you think that is?

Tea Sipper

It was probably anywhere from 175-185. I’d definitely steep it exactly that way in the future since I notice not many people are having luck with this blend.

Backlog:

I was really excited to try this tea. When I saw what 52Teas created for their Christmas week, I was really happy. I love sugar plums. I’m talking about the jelly belly sort of sugar plum here, not the real sugar plum thing … I’m not really sure what that it is … I tried looking it up online and I got a few confused ideas of what it is … so when I think “sugar plum” I’m thinking of the sugar coated tart plum looking gummy/jelly thing that you can buy in the candy store in the mall.

There is a nice plum flavor to this tea and I found that it complemented the natural notes of the Shou Mei quite nicely. Then I noticed hits of lavender emerging.

This is a good tea. I don’t know if it’s quite what I hoped for or expected with a name like Sugar Plum and all the thoughts that “sugar plum” evokes … but it’s a tasty cuppa.

I really enjoyed this tea for a before-bed dessert-y cup. It is a bit sweet, the flavor of the white tea comes through as well as the fruitiness.