Sugar Plum Shou Mei

White Tea
Hay, Honey, Lavender, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

• “I am getting a lot of lavender from this one. There is a sweet fruitiness and the white base is prominent as well but mostly it is lavender. I can’t decided if I like it or not. Luckily I...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2379 tasting notes
  • “I never did get to try this one from the Christmas hamper at the right time, unfortunately I became ill and couldn’t taste much so I saved it for future steeping. Right now I need to use up...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1292 tasting notes
  • “The 12th day of 52 teas 12 Days of Christmas. I think this was a good choice for the last tea. It was also neat that is was not a repeat from the rest of the year but a brand new tea. I...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 841 tasting notes
  • “Yes! This is definitely a CrowKettle tea. I’ve never had the actual sugarplum dessert but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying it! This is a sweet and sugary white tea, with a wisp of...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 577 tasting notes

From 52teas

Our Tea of the Week for the week of December 23, 2013

This year’s Christmas week blend is inspired by goodies the vision of which supposedly danced in sleeping children’s heads before they had My Little Ponies to dream about. So here’s my attempt at a sugar plum shou mei complete with some lavender flowers. I sure hope you enjoy it.

See everything we currently have in stock HERE:

About 52teas View company

At, you will find unique, hand-blended artisan loose leaf teas: a new limited edition creation every week of the year. We pride ourselves on offering truly unique, one-of-a-kind tea blends that you won’t find anywhere else.

Steep Information:
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: floral, lavendar, sweet, fruity
Steeped Tea Smell: floral, sweet
Flavor: floral, lavendar, slightly soapy, sweet, hint vegetal
Body: Light
Aftertaste: soapy
Liquor: translucent light yellow green

Rating: 2/4 leaves

52teas 12 Days of Christmas Sampler 2013 – Day 12

Yes, it is 2015. Yes, I have waited to try this sampler for a year and a half. I bought it before I was even pregnant and now I have a 4-month-old daughter. That should tell you how old this is.

Why didn’t I drink it earlier you ask? I don’t know. I think it got lost in my cupboard and I’ve only just now found it. Of course, with a new baby, I hardly have time to make a cup of tea, let alone drink it, LET ALONE blog about it! In fact, I’ve had to start and stop this note multiple times so I could take care of her. I love her more than anything in this world but man, she is a needy baby!

I’m also sick right now. I have an ear infection and it’s caused my nose to run like mad crazy. I’m super congested, so probably not the best time to start drinking a new tea. I thought the dry leaf aroma was still pretty potent though. I think I’ll work my way through this sampler backwards. I’m starting with #12! I have another minute or two before her fussing becomes crying so I’m going to make the most of it! Ooh, hubby just agreed to give her a bottle for me. :D Now I have at least 5-10 minutes. :)

This tea has held up pretty well given its age. I probably should have steeped it longer. It has a white tea taste with a slight sugary sweetness. I added a little Truvia and now it has an even sweeter flavor. I have no idea what a sugar plum is supposed to taste like (or if it even exists) so I can’t say for sure if this tastes like sugar plum or not. It does taste good! Kind of like grape but different. Not so grapey. LOL! Can you tell it’s been a while since I blogged about tea? I think my writing skills have run off with my slim physique.

Anyway, this is a good tea. I have always loved white teas, especially Frank’s blends. I’m sad that he’s closing shop but interested to see what LiberTEAS does with the company. I tell you, I leave the tea community to start a family and all my favorite tea vendors close! If I had a more inflated ego, I’d think it was because I stopped buying their tea and it’s my fault they’re going out of business. But of course, that’s ridiculous…right? :P I jest. But in all seriousness, I am sad about 52teas and Butiki Teas closing. At least with 52teas it will live on in some form or another. I was able to make a large purchase of Butiki Teas before they closed and I did the same with 52teas. I got a much better deal with 52teas though because of the 50% off sale AND I had a couple hundred rewards points. So I got about $44 worth of tea for $14! :D

But I digress. Again.

This tea is yummy. I’m enjoying the cup. Sadly, subsequent infusions will have to wait because my time is up! Back to mommy duty!

The first couple sips were very good but after that it lost its flavor. I was a little leery when I saw lavender in the ingredients. However, the lavender is more subtle. It’s there but doesn’t overwhelm or seem perfume-y. It’s gentle and soothing. I can’t rate it too high because, as I said, it seemed to loose a lot of flavor very quickly.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Tragic about the flavor loss, this tea sounded neat!

Sipdown (108)!

Cold Brew!

Reviews of this one have generally been negative or, at the very least, really critical of the use of lavender in this blend but despite that I’ve sorta abstractly wanted to try it pretty much since it was announced and I really don’t have any sort of justification for why. Although not that it’s winter/Christmas sorta type I can at least drink it “in season”.

Maybe it’s because I had low expectations going in, but I thought this was actually kinda nice. There was a sweetness/fruit flavour to it that, while “sugared”, wasn’t quite plum, but still pretty good. And hay notes; I definitely got underlying hay notes from the base tea, which actually kinda tasted better to me than Frank’s Shou Mei normally does? But that lavender…

Oh that lavender is strong and, really, why is it necessary? Even if it was only 50% more muted/toned down that would make this SO MUCH BETTER/balanced. It really does detract from the tea. So concluding thoughts: nice tea, but could be so much nicer without the overkill of perfumey-lavender.

This is from my swap with KiwiDelight. I’m certainly not expecting much, as I tend to be disappointed by 52teas blends. The leaves here are very broken, and there are a couple of super long stems included. I saw some fuzzy little buds, but after reading the tea’s description, I realize that they were lavender flowers. Ick. I didn’t realize sugar plums involved lavender… There wasn’t much of a dry scent, perhaps a little bit of vague sweetness.

Ugh… The strongest scent in the steeped tea is lavender. I can also smell a little bit of honey from the white tea. Ergh, yup, this taste strongly of lavender and not much else. I can sort of taste the white tea, there’s a bit of hay flavor and some honey notes. Mostly though, it’s just lavender. Not for me!

Flavors: Hay, Honey, Lavender

Funny, I can’t taste any lavender at all…

Sorry you were disappointed by all of 52teas I sent :(

I received this tea in my 52 teas sampler from Marzipan. Not bad but not the best, it’s much like the other white tea I drank……too weak.

Flavors: Flowers

Thanks again for the sale, 52Teas and Marzipan for splitting the teas! Such a low rating with this one, but I think it needs to be slightly higher. Shou Mei white tea with plum flavor and lavender. Sounds good to me! I expected tons of lavender and no plum but it’s actually the opposite. I did see a few pieces of lavender in the teaspoon but the flavor is barely noticeable. There IS a sweet plum flavor that was reminded me of another tea and then I remembered it was the plum iced tea from 52Teas that I love! The flavor is subtle but it works with this shou mei. A lovely blend. I definitely suggest steeping it the way I steeped the first cup, as the white tea (or lavender) doesn’t get a chance to overpower the flavor.) I’ll enjoy the few teaspoons I have left!
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 30 min after boiling // 45 sec steep
Steep #2 // 23 min after boiling // 2 min

What temperature do you think that is?

It was probably anywhere from 175-185. I’d definitely steep it exactly that way in the future since I notice not many people are having luck with this blend.

I was really excited to try this tea. When I saw what 52Teas created for their Christmas week, I was really happy. I love sugar plums. I’m talking about the jelly belly sort of sugar plum here, not the real sugar plum thing … I’m not really sure what that it is … I tried looking it up online and I got a few confused ideas of what it is … so when I think “sugar plum” I’m thinking of the sugar coated tart plum looking gummy/jelly thing that you can buy in the candy store in the mall.

There is a nice plum flavor to this tea and I found that it complemented the natural notes of the Shou Mei quite nicely. Then I noticed hits of lavender emerging.

This is a good tea. I don’t know if it’s quite what I hoped for or expected with a name like Sugar Plum and all the thoughts that “sugar plum” evokes … but it’s a tasty cuppa.

I really enjoyed this tea for a before-bed dessert-y cup. It is a bit sweet, the flavor of the white tea comes through as well as the fruitiness.