SBT: Orange Creamsicle

Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

2 Images

• “I hate it when a picture is missing from a tea, so I always try to do a screen capture and add one. This time, it seems a bit messy. (Boo). Hopefully when Frank gets a chance he can change...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1157 tasting notes
  • “This is actually my first SBT, but I love the flavors that I keep seeing pop up, and I'm always looking for new things to try in the pitcher of iced tea in the fridge that Fiance and I share, so I...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the Kickstarter created teas for SBT, so I added at least the tea and when Frank gets caught up on everything I'm sure he'll be adding all of them with proper pictures and the like,...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1212 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: YUM! Very refreshing and an enjoyable balance between Orange, Vanilla and Black tea notes has been achieved. I hot brewed this, but I might get another pouch sometime soon so that I can...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes

From 52teas

Makes two quarts of AMAZING iced tea! Steep teabag no longer than three min in boiling water. Combine with ice and water in a 2-quart pitcher. Enjoy!

Net weight: 0.5oz/14g

Ingredients: Black teas, organic flavors.

About 52teas View company

I hate it when a picture is missing from a tea, so I always try to do a screen capture and add one. This time, it seems a bit messy. (Boo). Hopefully when Frank gets a chance he can change it.

Anyway. This is my second attempt at steeping one of Frank’s SBT blends. I really, really wish they came loose so that I could parse out the amount I wanted, as there are few 2-quart containers in my neck of the woods. I will definitely message him to share this, as I think I’d buy more if I could measure it, instead of getting one huge tea bag.

Anyway. Steeped it exactly as shared on the bag: 3 minutes, then added cold water to fill my Teavana glass pitcher. I found it a bit weak, and am going to let it sit in my fridge overnight to really cool. I did notice that as the small amount that I poured for myself cooled, the black base was less apparent, and the orange took over. Initially, all I got was cream and black base.

Also, a question for all you experienced SBT-ers, or at least those experienced to cold steeping: should I leave the tea bag in the water overnight, or use it again for another steep?

VariaTEA

When I make it, I cold steep the bag for 15-16 hours. However, I only every cold steep them so I am not sure how the flavor would change using a bag that has already been hot brewed and then iced.

VariaTEA

What other SBT did you make btw?

MissB

I’m blanking out as to which one I made, as it was a while ago. We left it in the fridge too long, so it was icky by the time I got around to drinking it. :(

VariaTEA

Oh no. I am trying the last of my SBT teas tomorrow morning and then I will be placing an order for more. I figured I should try what I had so I knew what to restock.

OMGsrsly

LiberTEAS cold steeps overnight, then hot steeps to get the most out of them. Check out their reviews. :)

OMGsrsly

I have to admit, they are tempting. If you’re going to order more, MissB, might I tag along?

VariaTEA

OMGsrsly, I was going to offer to add some to my order for you and then realized that may not be the most effective plan given we don’t live nearly as close as you and MissB. However, if you are only looking to get a couple to try some, they are pretty flat and could probably pass as letter mail and therefore not really cost anything for me to send them to you. I will probably be ordering tomorrow evening so if you want me to add anything, just let me know :)

Ooo. Let me go check!

OMGsrsly

UH OH. Eggnog honeybush? Too tempting.

VariaTEA

Haha. I was tempted by that too. But I don’t know if I want 2 oz of it. Mostly because I don’t know if I would like it. Although, no one does honeybush like Frank.

MissB

Heh. I’ve got a LOT of Frank’s stuff on the way from the Kickstarter, plus the new ones. One just showed up now, it was somehow held in transit for weeks. I grabbed eggnog, and will pass along some to both of you if you’d like. :)

OMGsrsly

I’d really appreciate that, MissB!

I have to admit the cart I built (Malted Chocomate!) is only $40. Tempting to just buy. Are all the SBT caffeinated? I don’t see any honeybush ones.

VariaTEA

They are all black teas…I think.

VariaTEA

And I just wish someone had reviewed the eggnog honeybush so at least there is something to guess how the tea tastes. I may just cave and order it anyways. I have a nice balance on my paypal account that can go towards my order.

I am also debating the Pineapple Angel Food Cake. It was so tasty the first time I had it but the second time around I was not that impressed. The fear that I won’t be able to have it again is pushing me towards getting it even though I am not sure that I would want so much of it.

Hmm. Umm. I might just order now and ship to MissB. hides head

VariaTEA

haha. I think you should go for it.

OMGsrsly

Ok, ok… Let’s see. Oh no! It worked! Haha. MissB, you should be expecting a parcel for me…

VariaTEA

What did you end up getting??

OMGsrsly

Too much! LOL. Rootbeer Float, Butterbeer, Strawberry Zabaglione, Honey Ginger, Almond Milk (?!), Gingerbread Smoke, Eggnog Honeybush, Malted ChocoMate. Oh boy, oh boy. :D

VariaTEA

Haha. My cart right now is sitting at about $50 and that includes 13 diff SBTs (multiples of a couple) and the Pineapple Angel Food Cake. I made the mistake of looking through the Available Now and I am currently debating the Eggnog Honeybush, the Cinnamon Roll Honeybush, and the Frankenberry (but only because I saw it has Marshmallow root). I think I have a problem…

NayLynn

I have not had any SBT yet but have wondered for a while if you could just cut the tea bag open and get what you needed and repackage the rest. Is there a reason this would not work?

OMGsrsly

I don’t think there’s any reason why that wouldn’t work. They’re just a little more expensive than the loose teas – $12/2oz rather than $8.99. So if there’s a flavour offered loose, I’d probably just get it that way.

OMGsrsly

I wish I could just ‘like’ your comment, VariaTea!

NayLynn

Thanks, that is a good point about the difference in size/value. The main one I would get is sold out in loose & ya’ll are funny

MissB

I have a huge amount of Cinnamon Roll Honeybush, I love it that much!

NayLynn, I could easily cut the bag open, I just think I’d enjoy it more/more often if I was deciding how big my container is to cold steep, and then going from there.

OMGsrsly, sounds good!

keychange

Yeah, I wish I could cold steep smaller amounts also. I don’t even want two quarts. Because hello! I need to cold steep in my mason jar!

OMGsrsly

Both the containers I picked up are “two quarts”. One is actually 2 quarts, but the other is way closer to 3. I’ll probably keep that one for herbals as I prefer cold steeped tea to plain water.

This is actually my first SBT, but I love the flavors that I keep seeing pop up, and I’m always looking for new things to try in the pitcher of iced tea in the fridge that Fiance and I share, so I thought this would be fun to try!

Creamy, orangey, tea-y and tasty. I don’t really know what else I can ask for, though I think maybe next time I’ll add a little sugar when it’s steeping. I think it would amp up the melted popsicle-ness here.

But after we ended up dumping out just under half of the last pitcher because neither of us cared for it, this was a nice change

This was one of the Kickstarter created teas for SBT, so I added at least the tea and when Frank gets caught up on everything I’m sure he’ll be adding all of them with proper pictures and the like, and adding them to the site, which is when you will need to buy this flavor. It officially comes in behind Rainbow Sherbet for me. Really.

And that is why I had to post about it now, not whenever. I mean, I was drinking this iced even though it is so cold out.

I added some sugar as it steeped because I tend to like to with orange just in case it gets bitter, so I think that helped also boost creaminess too. My favorite thing about SBTs is that you get the flavor but it doesn’t overwhelm the tea itself, so it’s the best of both worlds. I think I drank this one in like 3 days whereas whatever had last been in the pitcher had been sitting too long to still be good.

Once I go through a lot more of these I definitely want to stock up on this one! Since I got the 12 Teas of Christmas I don’t want to order more just yet at all.

Backlog:

YUM!

Very refreshing and an enjoyable balance between Orange, Vanilla and Black tea notes has been achieved. I hot brewed this, but I might get another pouch sometime soon so that I can try cold-brew.

I like this.

A creamsicle iced tea! If I ever get to an ice cream shop, I’d most likely order the orange vanilla swirl. I brewed a teaspoon of this one hot, not as an iced tea. Immediately on opening the bag, this is definitely creamsicle! It smells like a melted creamsicle was in the pouch. However, after a 45 second steep, the flavor isn’t quite as nice as the scent. A little orange and a little cream but it tastes a tad bit more artificial than some other 52Teas blends. Let’s be fair, a creamsicle is probably artificial too. I still enjoy it but the fragrance is so promising! Maybe I should have added a bit of sugar. The second steep surprisingly has almost just as much creamsicle… it doesn’t all go to the first steep! I like these 52Teas iced especially when I need a kick of caffeine from the CTC but my other infuser is full of bigger leaves so they fit right in the teaspoon sized infuser when I need to use it.
Steep #1 // few minutes after boiling // 45 second steep
Steep #2 // few min after boiling // 2 1/2 min steep

Veronica

This is probably my favorite SBT, but I do add 1/4 a cup of sugar to 2 quarts of tea.

Made this one as per package directions, added approx. 1 TBSP white sugar.

It was ok. I was hoping for sweet, candy orange with a creamy flavour, just like a creamsicle. But the orange was much more of a spicey or peppery type orange flavour. Not a whole lot of sweetness. There is a light milky type flavour to the tea. To me this type of orange flavour is just not mixing well with the cream flavour.

I was a bit worried about this one last night, as I couldn’t smell any orange, or taste any in the tiny sip I took. I also thought I might have overdone the steep a little as I got distracted. I brought it to work anyway, and I actually needn’t have worried because I was REALLY WRONG.

I took a tentative sip and discovered that this is actually insanely creamy. It tastes just like vanilla ice cream! The orange is pretty subtle, which is probably why I couldn’t taste much of it, but it does remind me of a thin orange ice lolly shell around a thick, creamy, vanilla ice cream interior. It’s a creamsicle through and through! The black base is a tiny bit intrusive, but that’s pretty much my fault because I went over the three minutes a little. It doesn’t ruin the overall tea, though, so it’s all good. This one had the standard treatment — 3 minutes in boiling water, topped up to 2 litres with cold, and into the fridge overnight.

A delicious summery SBT — this one makes me want to go on the zoomdweebies website and place an order for MOAR right away. I am trying to resist, though — there are a good few still sitting in my cupboard waiting to be tried, and I don’t want to neglect them unduly. SBTs make going to work in the summer bearable. I don’t know what I did before I discovered them.

52teas

Comments like this are what keep me going! Thanks for the kind words. I’m so happy you are enjoying the teas.

This tastes just like the name! At first I thought that the orange taste was too sharp but it has grown on me or it mellowed itself out. I didn’t even add sugar and I love it. I don’t know how Frank does it but it’s such a good orange creamsicle taste.