Apple Pie Keemun

Black Fruit Herbal Blend
Apple Pieces, Black Tea, Cinnamon Chips, Organic Flavours
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 360 ml

• “This brews up like a dark apple cider and has a lot of the same scents - you can definitely pick up on the crisp apple and what seems like pie spices layered over a decidedly smoky note that makes...” Read full tasting note
    Pyroxy 178 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Marzipan for including this with the 52Teas mystery grab bags we split! The seems like the perfect autumn tea. Keemun with apple and cinnamon. The apple here is a little like red...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1454 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Really tasty. I could smell the apple pie as soon as I opened the pouch, and my mouth starts watering whenever I open this one (I've had it a few times since my original tasting...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4458 tasting notes
  • “The first cup I had was about a month ago when I had been drinking a lot of another apple pie tea that was very syrupy liquid pie filling sweet so this one left me with no opinion. Today I’m...” Read full tasting note
    NayLynn 226 tasting notes

From 52teas

Apologies for the late post. I’ve been working on my taxes this week. Didn’t we waste a bunch of perfectly good tea in protest of taxes once upon a time?

Actually, the Tea Act, which was the British legislation that drove the colonists to the act of rebellion known as the Boston Tea Party did not impose any new taxes. Instead it granted the British East India Company a monopoly on tea sales in the American colonies. This proved to be the final straw in a series of legislative actions England took which angered the colonists. But enough of my geekery. If you want to know more about it, there is a great website you can visit here. One last interesting tidbit: did you know the Boston Tea Party involved three ships and the destruction of 92,000 pounds of tea? That’s a lot of tea.

By the way, my geeky raving aside, I am not a member of the Tea Party, nor am I trying to make any political statement. I’m just a dork who likes history.

I suppose you would really rather hear about this week’s Tea of the Week though. I’ve paired a nice Chinese Keemun with freeze-dried granny smith and red delicious apples, cinnamon chips and organic flavors, including some brown sugar and other yumminess that goes in an apple pie. I think this one is going to be really popular, so don’t drag your feet about getting yours.

About 52teas View company

This brews up like a dark apple cider and has a lot of the same scents – you can definitely pick up on the crisp apple and what seems like pie spices layered over a decidedly smoky note that makes my mouth water.

And the tea itself – delightfully enough – doesn’t disappoint. You can taste a fresh apple flavour (with just a little tartness) over top of that smokiness…which really rounds it out and makes it reminiscent of pie that’s been baked just a second too long; you know – when the crust gets just to dark brown and it’s almost burnt but not quite…yeah, that one.

It’s a good flavour. More subtle and spot-on than I would’ve expected from a tea and I’m really glad that I got a whole bag of it from the 52Teas Grab Bag event they had going on.

Om nom nom.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 360 ML

Thank you Marzipan for including this with the 52Teas mystery grab bags we split! The seems like the perfect autumn tea. Keemun with apple and cinnamon. The apple here is a little like red apples, not a dessert apple flavor, if that makes sense. But there is something here that could remind me of actual pie. Just enough cinnamon, much like an apple pie, not like the amount of cinnamon that would be in a cup of chai. The keemun isn’t tough enough for me though – very light, even with a teaspoon and a half. To be fair, I steeped for a short amount of time since I tend to do that with 52Teas to get as much flavor as possible before the base takes over. The second cup was steeped more traditionally, but the strength of the keemun wasn’t there. Not a bad blend, but I would have liked more flavor both from the tea and the flavors. I seem to drink many cinnamon teas in a row so my other teas aren’t ruined by the cinnamon left over in my infuser.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 tsps. // few min after boiling // 90 second steep
Steep #2 // half mug // just boiled // 3 min

Backlog:

Really tasty. I could smell the apple pie as soon as I opened the pouch, and my mouth starts watering whenever I open this one (I’ve had it a few times since my original tasting note/review of this tea, found here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/04/29/apple-pie-keemun-52teas/ )

I like the way the smokiness of the keemun works with the notes of the apple pie to give it that fresh baked taste. My gramma’s apple pie never tasted smoky … but this doesn’t taste really smoky either … it just tastes crisp and inviting and very … autumnal. A really well-conceived blend.

i REALLY wanted this one when it came up for sale…

LiberTEAS

I’ve been chatting on the “subscription” thread in the forum … I should mention that the 52Teas subscription is one I have kept ongoing for years now. I WON’T be without it … mostly because I just know that the moment I cancel it, there will be like a run of two or three teas that I have to try and at least one of them will end up selling out before I get it. I just … can’t let that happen.

Lariel of Lórien

Sounds like something I need for Autumn.

The first cup I had was about a month ago when I had been drinking a lot of another apple pie tea that was very syrupy liquid pie filling sweet so this one left me with no opinion. Today I’m enjoying it a lot more and it is comforting tonight. The apple and cinnamon are not as bold but still present and I can still taste the tea. I don’t get apple pie but I would consider buying this sometime.

First tea of the day. I am not going to assign a rating because I rather like this tea, but it’s not an ideal first tea tea for me. I like my first tea of the day to be strong, hot and assertive. This one isn’t brewed at boiling so it’s not that hot, and it has a lovely understatement so I wouldn’t call it assertive.

I think this is going to fall in mid day for me. I hope everyone else is as quirky as I am about their teas!

Aside from that, apple? Yes, apple, but not overwhelmingly so. I get pie, but I’m not sure how. The cinnamon mentioned is barely there, I get a glimpse before it rounds the corner and goes out of sight. It’s not very astringent, as I brewed for 3 minutes. The aftertaste is just pleasant apple.