Hindbaersnitter Shou Mei

White Tea
Raspberry
Edit tea info Last updated by Marzipan

• “Drinking this as a cold brew again at work today. It was just so delicious last time, I couldn't resist giving it another go before iced tea season is officially over. It's cold in the mornings...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1031 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I've never tried real hindbaersnitter but after learning of its existence (through this tea) I actually started looking for local bakeries to see if I could find one that made such a...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4453 tasting notes
  • “Finally trying this one from the 52Teas order I made months ago. It's the last one I had left to try, and I was really craving fruit tea tonight so it seemed perfect. Dry this is definitely...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2067 tasting notes
  • “I received a package from *Marzipan* the same day as the Butiki TTB2. I have quite a bit of tea I want to try from that but this tea cut in front of the line. It did not dissapoint. I gave it a...” Read full tasting note
    megannorm 77 tasting notes

From 52teas

This week’s tea was inspired by a suggestion from our friend Marzipan on Steepster. She wrote me saying: “You may have done some like this in the past, but I was dreaming a little bit today and thought I would pass along my thoughts. I married a Danish man, so I have come to love many of their foods (that’s why my nickname is Marzipan). One of those is called hindbaersnitter, which literally means “raspberry cuts”. It can be found in any Danish bakery. I make it here at home sometimes, and it is basically a much better, homemade, huge raspberry pop tart. It’s two shortbread like pastries rolled thin, with raspberry jam in the middle and confectioners sugar glaze on top. I could see this as a fun tea, maybe with raspberry and cake flavors, plus it has icing on the top (so a little sweet), and sprinkles, so there could be sprinkles in the mix.”Now having never had hindbaersnitter (and yes, I have to double-check my spelling EVERY time I type that), I had to sort of imagine what it would be like. I imagined the sweet hay-like shou mei blended with freeze-dried raspberries and pastry notes along with a touch of sweetness, and I think I’ve struck on something delicious, but I’ll let you be the judge.

About 52teas View company

Drinking this as a cold brew again at work today. It was just so delicious last time, I couldn’t resist giving it another go before iced tea season is officially over. It’s cold in the mornings now, and I can’t see myself wanting a cold drink during the day as often anymore. Still, hopefully a couple more weeks to enjoy before it’s hot tea all the way!

This is as delicious as I remember, anyway. The raspberry note is strong and clear, a little candy-like. There’s also a sweet, delicate shortbreadiness. I have yet to try this hot, but I’ll get around to it over the next couple of weeks. Good raspberry tea is a wonderful, wonderful thing, and I have high hopes for my continuing relationship with this one!

Iced 8 min or more

Backlog:

I’ve never tried real hindbaersnitter but after learning of its existence (through this tea) I actually started looking for local bakeries to see if I could find one that made such a thing because it sounds like something I need to try. I like pop tarts, and I can’t help but think that a thin, buttery shortbread cookie type pastry would taste better than the dough-y stuff that encases the fillings of a pop tart. So I want to try hindbaersnitter, but I was not successful in finding a bakery that made the stuff. (Note: stuff is easier to type than hindbaersnitter.)

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed the tea. The delicate Shou Mei seemed the ideal base for this, so that the buttery flavors of the shortbread pastry could be tasted with the sweet-tart notes of the raspberry. The raspberry pops in the aftertaste.

I liked this. It reminds me a lot of the raspberry thumbprint cookies my gramma used to make.

Marzipan

They are pretty easy to make. http://mydanishkitchen.com/tag/hindbærsnitter/. This is the recipe I use.

LiberTEAS

It looks easier to make than it is to spell.

TeaBrat

Oh, yum!

2067 tasting notes

Finally trying this one from the 52Teas order I made months ago. It’s the last one I had left to try, and I was really craving fruit tea tonight so it seemed perfect.

Dry this is definitely very, very sweet raspberry! It’s really borderline between candy and realistic raspberries too. It’s supposed to be like Raspberry Poptarts, right? I suppose that would make sense. Raspberry poptarts are like very sugared up raspberry jam infused biscuits. That’s a weird poptart description, but fuck it.

Steeped up; this is pretty damn good! It’s very flavourful and very raspberry, and I do get a glaze/icing vibe from it on top of the honey/hay notes in the base. Anything pastry/bread like is lost on me though. Oh well, it’s still quite tasty! I’m imagining it’d be good iced or cold brewed, so that’s probably how I’ll try it next time.

So concluding thoughts: I think this is yummy and really flavourful with a superb raspberry taste. Having never had Hindbaersnitter I can’t comment with certainty as to the accuracy of the flavour, but I can vaguely see the comparison to Raspberry Poptarts. I think I will happily finish off the rest of the pouch, but if this were to be reblended (and assuming it would taste the same) would I get it again? Probably not; I think I could find better raspberry white tea for a better price, given that a pouch if this is only an ounce of tea.

Still, I’m happy drinking it right now! Thanks Marzipan for suggesting this one to Frank!

Flavors: Raspberry

I received a package from Marzipan the same day as the Butiki TTB2. I have quite a bit of tea I want to try from that but this tea cut in front of the line. It did not dissapoint. I gave it a whif while it was steeping and it smelled of fresh raspberries. It tasted just like raspberries and a little of white tea. I might try steeping it a little longer next time to help the white tea shine through. I don’t get a lot of pastry flavor but I bet if I add sugar it would taste very much like a sugary treat.

Flavors: Raspberry

1965 tasting notes

Scheherazade kindly shared a sample of this with me and I have to say that it is quite nice. My first sip, I definitely noticed the raspberry and as I continue to drink, I detect the sugar glaze as well. Both flavors pair beautifully with the base. I am not sure I am really getting “pastry” notes per se but the base mixed with the other flavors can lend itself to the notion of a baked good if you put your mind to it.

I feel like I did something wrong with this tea … but I also enjoyed it. Yay for flexible tea?

Also: if anyone has steeping instructions for 52Teas white blends, please share with me! I’m in the dark on the best way to brew this and I really don’t trust my own judgement.

Dry, this smells heavily of raspberries. Steeped, this tastes like a mixture of raspberries, white tea, pastry, and a hint of confectioner’s sugar. On my first sip, I was honestly shocked to be able to taste confectioner’s sugar! 52Teas does do a good job flavoring their teas! As I sipped, the sugary taste devolved into raspberries and pastry crust. Not sure this one is my favorite, but I enjoyed it.

[1.5tsp/8oz 170F/3min]

Virginia

I love this: “I really don’t trust my own judgement” haha

LiberTEAS

I don’t necessarily have 52Teas’ steeping instructions for white tea, but here are my basic steeping parameters for white tea: low temperature, usually 160 – 175 degrees F. Steep time is usually 3 1/2 minutes to 5 minutes, depending upon how low a temp I use. If I use 175, I go with 3 1/2 minutes, if I go lower, I adjust the brew time, brewing a little longer for a lower temperature water.

I hope that made sense.

sundaysipping

That’s awesome! Thank you – I’m going to try that next time I make this one!

I’m drinking this tea now with milk and rock sugar and it is very nice. The raspberry taste is very present and it is a great white tea. I let mine steep for about 5 minutes which is probably longer than what is normal for white tea, but it’s not bitter.

I met Marzipan in real life today, and she gave me some of her special 52 teas blend! THANKS! :D

I’ve never had one of Franks white tea blends, this is exciting! I am drinking this unsweetened right now but I think I’ll probably add a little sugar to my next cup to up the jammy qualities. It has a nice raspberry flavor! The white tea is somewhat bland, but I think some sugar would really make this one pop. I’ll give it a rating next time when I taste it that way, but so far I do like this one.

Thanks again Marzipan!

keychange

so cool that you guys met IRL!

Stephanie

I know! I was so excited! My first Steepster meetup! We figured out that we live in neighboring cities :) Wish I could meet more of you guys!

Roswell Strange

I’ve met three Steepster people before, although two were brief. Kittenna, Janelle, and Lala (I had tea with Lala). It was very cool! It’s especially neat to me since I don’t live in Major city, so I was very surprised to find people in my area :) @Keychange, if you ever get the chance I totally recommend doing it!

boychik

Jealous!

Had a great time!

Tealizzy

I’m jealous too! Sounds so fun!

Marzipan sent me a bit of this to try, and I was so excited when I pulled it out of the envelope. Reading the story behind it made the tea tasting even more fun. I’ve never had a Hindbaersnitter, so I can’t exactly review this tea based on it’s relation to that, although after seeing Marzipan’s baking pictures, I’d sure love to try one. :)
The scent of the leaf is intoxicating—-raspberries. Sweet, tangy, ripe raspberries.
This first cup, I steeped 4min at 170°F (I have enough for another cup, and I’ll try that later at a higher temp, since Marzipan liked hers that way….). The frosted crust (I’m thinking buttery pastry with real icing, compared to boxed pop tarts) actually does come through in a subtle way; the star of the tea cup is the raspberry.
It was really fun to try this, so thank you so much Marzipan for sending it my way.

Marzipan

I’m glad you liked it! This is the recipe I use when I make it here. http://mydanishkitchen.com/tag/hindbærsnitter/
They are extremely sweet, so the raspberry jam is important to offset that. I have a hard time eating more than one, but my kids (who are almost grown, not little) love them.

DeliriumsFrogs

Thanks so much for the recipe! I have a feeling that my kids will really like these… I’m definitely going to have to give them a go.
Yummy!!

I ordered two packages of this, and I am glad that I did.

I tend to have trouble with white teas, I think in general they are too mild for my taste. It could also be that my palate for tea isn’t as developed as it will be later. I know normally whites are steeped short and at lower temps. But, I ran across a thread on Steepster where a tea company owner recommended trying boiling water and a long steep.

So, I tried this tea two ways before posting this. The first steep, I tried boiling water and a (gasp!) 5 minute steep. The second time was preboiling and a 3 minute steep.

While I know the former will look like sacrilege, I enjoyed it far more than the second one. So now I want to go back and try that with the whites that have missed the mark for me before.

In the pouch, this tea has a strong and very appealing berry smell. It also smelled sweet and I have no idea how Frank accomplished that. Steeped for the longer time at boiling, the cup was strong but not bitter (I sweeten my tea a bit). There was a very robust raspberry or blackberry flavor and that stayed behind as a pleasant aftertaste. I tend to like strong black teas best, and steeped this way the tea definitely stood up flavor wise.

The shorter steep didn’t taste like a lot and had a very light color. I also thought the leaves didn’t look like they were “done” if that makes any sense. Method one is definitely the one for me!

boychik

I recently read someone tasting note that person always steeps white at 165F long steep like 5-7 min. She says its the best and flavorful. You got lotsa tea to experiment;)

I’ll try that next!

Angrboda

I did a double take when I saw this name. Then I saw it was you and I was far less surprised. Did you put him up to this one, then?

Hindbærsnitter is pretty much the only cake that I actively dislikes. Far to dry and cloyingly sweet. I just can’t see the appeal. I once bought a piece of cake in a 7-11 and not only did they give me the wrong one, they gave me a hindbærsnitte! One of the only times I’ve actually bothered to go back and quibble. Anything else, I’d have just eaten whatever they gave me instead.

Marzipan

Guilty! I think the flavors lend really well to tea. When we are in Denmark, my favorites are vandkringle and brunsviger, but the rest of the family likes the hindbærsnitter a lot. So much that I have to make them in the States a few times a year.

Angrboda

Looks authentic. :) I’m fond of brunsviger as well, but I haven’t ever tried baking it myself. I enjoy baking but I don’t get along well with yeast. It just won’t succeed for me even though I do exactly like it says in the recipe and everything seems to be the correct temperature. I attempted a beesting cake the other day, though, which was moderately succesful. Not properly risen (of course) and a bit dry, but with the custard in the dryness didn’t matter too much. I do have 3/4 of a packet of yeast lying around now, though. Perhaps I’ll try a brunsviger tomorrow. Last day off for Easter and also my birthday. Stands to reason I should have some kitchen-fun then. :)

CelebriTEA

Sounds good…I often like a loonger steeping time
as I prefer a really bold flavor and I sweeten with stevie
so the bold taste is better with the sweetness…JMHO

DeliriumsFrogs

I loved your baking pictures!!