Coconut Cream Pie

Coconut, Cream, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

2 Images

• “Yay Saturday! But not just ANY Saturday - an August Saturday with a noon temperature of 64 DEGREES that I am NOT working! The world has lost its mind! I am celebrating this day off by...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “YES. I have DONE it! MWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The perfect balance of strength of tea flavor, milk, and sweetness is MINE, ALL MINE! And now I will never be able to do it again. Actually...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “This is what's for dessert today. Lovely. Really, it is. It's just... I'm really craving the infamous raspberry oolong tonight and I'm coming to the conclusion that I have precious few fruity...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1279 tasting notes
  • “Cold brew because that's the way I like it. Still the best coconut black I've had to date, but overall, I'd say I prefer coconut oolongs. No additives and I find the coconut still really pops....” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 777 tasting notes

From 52teas

Our Coconut Cream Pie flavored black tea has been one of our bestsellers here at Zoomdweebie’s since we opened. In addition to the pouches of this tea that we’ve sold, we sell a LOT of beverages made from this tea, in particular, this is probably our all time bestselling iced tea latte, one sip of which has led people to exclaim, “That’s like coconut cream pie in a glass!” I’ve also been frequently challenged on our assertion that our tea lattes are all fat-free, particularly with this tea.

It is simply so decadent, so wonderfully sweet and satisfying, that people cannot believe that we didn’t just liquefy a slice of coconut cream pie and serve it to them in a glass.

For the 52teas version of this tea, we are adding some honking-big flakes of unsweetened coconut to our premium black tea blend along with coconut and vanilla flavors. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do, and I promise that next week, we’ll get back to more creative pursuits.

About 52teas View company

I’ve taken to drinking my black tea bare. It’s been a journey spanning decades(. . . but not too many decades ;) )
This is fantastic. Sweet and creamy and not overpoweringly coconut.

So excited this finally got here! :) Today is an especially good day for tea, cold, dark and raining. So I’ve been snuggling on the couch with several cups of hot tea in a row. I’ve been looking forward to this one arriving in quite some time. Let’s get started.

Initial impressions are very good. The scent is lovely; both strongly of coconut but also of black tea. Probably smell about 50/50 of each, which is very promising. The coconut flakes are ENORMOUS, but in the way you’d want. Big enough that they promise to offer a lot of flavor, but not so humongous that you have to use a ton of scoops to get some leaf along with it.

The verdict?

Yummy yummy yum yum! :D It’s exactly what I wanted. I love black tea, I love coconut and this is a match made in heaven, heh. It’s deliciously sweet, but not so saccharine that you can’t taste the black tea base. I don’t generally drink flavored blacks very often, but I think this could easily become a tea I drink nearly everyday. This is also one of those rare special teas where the taste is more delicious than the smell. I’ll have to stock up on this. :)

Fjellrev

This this one iced. It’s amazing!

This is a great coconut tea! I’m not sure whether I’m tasting pie, but that’s okay. The coconut flavor tastes more like toasted coconut versus the fresh coconut flavor found in tropical drinks. This holds up very well to milk and sweetener. Even steeping extra strong, I didn’t detect any bitterness. Prepared with lots of almond milk and stevia.

The last time I tried this tea was three years ago.. so I’d like to see what I think it tastes like now (not using the same leaf from years ago)! I’ve added a splash of milk to this cup to help make it a little more creamy.

Sipping… I’m glad that I did add milk because it does make it a bit softer and it works well with the coconut. For me, this is a coconut black tea.. not a coconut cream pie tea. I don’t taste any crust or cream.. but I am enjoying the milk and coconut combination. I just wish that the other flavors could come through so that it could truly be what it claims to be without adding anything extra.

When I saw the chunk of coconut, I thought perhaps I had gotten two of the pina colada rooibos! But, no, it is the lovely coconut cream pie! I’m happy because I wanted black tea, and I realized from the pina colada blend that I really like coconut flavored tea. Hooray!

The strongest flavor of this tea is coconut, but I also detected some custard flavors too. Very yummy and dessert-like just with milk. It’s not oh-wow-amazing, but I do like it.

I got this as my free pouch for being the 10 respondent with the right answer to the email quiz (thanks Frank!), and was very excited about it as I have fairly recently discovered that despite not liking actual solid coconut (it’s the texture I think), I LOVE coconut milk and coconut flavored things (thanks to Adagio’s pina colada tea). So getting this was quite a treat, and to celebrate I was determined to make a fantastic cuppa.

Since I happened to have some coconut milk left over from a curry recipe I figured what better cream-substitute for coconut cream pie tea then actual coconut cream (the nice thick part that separates on top of the coconut milk – Mmm mmm good!).

I made a cup of this according to the package directions, going with the longer suggested steep time to get maximum coconuty-goodness. The result neat was a smooth black tea with no bitterness and a delightful rich-sweet coconut-cream note. Now I’ve never actually had coconut cream pie, but I imagine this would be what it tasted like. I didn’t seen as much of a coconut oil sheen on the top of the tea as I have with other coconut blends, but the flavour definitely didn’t disappoint.

As good as it was plain, I just had to try it coconut-ed to the max, and added about a teaspoon of coconut cream. The result was fantastic. The coconut cream just punched the coconut flavour up and added more richness that complimented the sweetness of the tea very well. It was like a topical desert in a cup, and even my friend who stated he “wasn’t really into coconut” loved it.

Was very careful not to over-steep this today and it made a difference, but I still find this blend quite disappointing. It smells wonderful but doesn’t quite live up to expectations taste-wise. Good coconut flavour (there are real coconut pieces in the tea), but I don’t get any cream, vanilla or pie notes. It’s kind of just a coconutty black blend. Good but not great.

OMG MY FIRST TRAVELING TEA BOX IS FINALLY HERE YAAAAAAAY!

Ahem, sorry, had to get that out. There is SO MUCH TEA in this thing, it’s unreal. I almost couldn’t decide where to start… but then I saw this tea, which TeaSipper was so wonderful to include because she saw it was on my shopping list! _ I might be a complete and total noob for never having tried this tea before (as I understand, it’s been around a while), but I just haven’t gotten to it before now, and that’s all there is to it. :P

Anyway, I steeped this the usual way, one mug’s worth in my Teamaker from Teavana. I’m not certain I steeped it long enough, as it came out a little weak on the black tea flavor. I don’t exactly know how long it was steeping, as I set it to steep and then walked away to feed my cat. I came right back! It couldn’t have been much longer than a minute. Anyway, it wasn’t quite as dark as I thought it ought to be, so I stood there about 30 seconds more… and it didn’t change. So I, being impatient, stopped the steeping, sweetened it, and then paced like a tiger in a cage, waiting for it to cool enough to be tasted.

Like I said, the black tea flavor was a little weak (and the mouthfeel being a little too watery also seemed to indicate that I had understeeped it), but MAN, was that coconut packing a punch! The vanilla, too, was right there at the front of the sip, both in aroma and in flavor. WHAM! Right in the kisser! I could tell by the way the tea looked that it was going to have plenty of coconut flavor, as there were HUGE chunks of it all throughout, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the Camilla’s strong presence, as I find a lot of teas that say they have vanilla flavoring don’t actually have enough for it tone detected. I definitely am getting “pie” from this. I can almost taste that sweet meringue topping, and the graham cracker crust that’s been softened a little bit by the custard…

So. Yummy. :3

teataku

Stupid Autocorrect. I didn’t catch it changing my “vanilla” to “Camilla.” X-P

Tea Sipper

Your enthusiasm makes me smile! Happy first teabox! :D

Had a few sips of this at my bff’s place today, and she got this tea at the Victoria Tea Meet from… someone. (I occasionally crash her afternoons at home and do laundry and help out with snakes. Today she got 9 sand boas in, and they are so cute! We sexed them and separated them and did a whole pile of dishes. Kinda fun.)

It’s pretty good, but not what I’d consider excellent. Not really coconutty, but definitely baked goods-like. I don’t know the provenience of this tea, so the lack of flavour may be due to age. shrugs Not something I’d rush out and buy, but it was pretty good and I’d like to try more from 52teas.

Chizakura

Waaah. ;_; I want to buy more of this sooooo badllllyyy, but there’s none available right now. I bought right when he decided to not have permanent flavors anymore. sigh Mine’s almost gone, but I haven’t drank it in a few weeks ‘cause I’m scared of running out…

Ooooh I also want to try this one.

Kristin

Did you get this in the mail today?

Kristin

Oh, nevermind. I thought this was the Coconut Cheesecake which is this weeks tea.

Lisbet

Yeah, I just want to try this one :) I still have coconut pouchong at home right now, but I tend to like coconut teas.