Malted ChocoMaté

Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Mandy

3 Images

From 52teas

I had soooo much fun last week with the malted genmaicha, and after hearing several people ask why we didn’t make it a chocolate malt, I decided we should do a chocolate malt tea this week. Here it is, our Malted ChocoMaté!

This is roasted yerba mate with organic cacao nibs and all natural chocolate and malt flavors. It is one delicious energy kick!

About 52teas View company

Overall, the mate is very nice. However, I tasted more of the roasted mate than of chocolate. Smells good and tastes good, but more like plain mate. There is a nice after taste that resembles chocolate. If you’re looking for something with a strong roasted flavour, and very little of a chocolate taste, this is a good one.

Great way to start the AM ! W/the extra kick from the Mate, good replacement for coffee. Although I do not taste the malt flavor (but then again I like my shakes extra malt-y), it is a nice round chocolate flavor…

From VariaTEA! This was on my wishlist and she was super kind and thoughtful and sent some my way for me to try. Today I made it in a timolino and brought it to work for a little additional “energy boost”.

For prep, I generously leafed this (because I tend to like my mate/guayusa really strong) and let it steep around three and a half to four minutes.

And… I thought this was very weak and watery tasting. Malted? Not even close. Chocolate? Well, sorta. It was like someone took chocolate milk syrup and squirted a little bit into a cup of hot water. Definitely not right. I’m so disappointed!

However for now I’m going to give this one the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe it’s just one of those blends that doesn’t fair well in a timolino. I have one more cup left, so I’ll be sure to prepare it at home under different conditions. In the mean time I’ll hold off on rating this and hope for a better cup in the future…

So, still drooling over Janefan idea of adding ice cream to this, I steeped up a cup and added a scoop of Oreo icecream without bothering to cool it down first, and all I can say is: WOW oh WOW. HOW COME I"VE NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING THIS?!?! Tea and ice cream, what could be better? This is dangerous, I’m going to want to try this with all my dessert teas now. OH gosh, so so yummy.

5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
MissB

Great idea! Heavy cream is also delectable in a pinch if you’re out of ice cream… I’ve done that on many, many occasions. ;)

Mandy

Would you believe me if I said I’ve never had heavy cream that wasn’t already baked into something?

I’m re-visiting this tea after 8 months as I’ve just found a little bag of it left in my drawer. This is now the last pot of this blend and so I’m serving it with some Italian Pandoro cake. I start my diet soon so the last little bits of Christmas treats need to be used up. I will have a Nutri Ninja juice in the morning, a milkshake for lunch and something small and no more than 500 calories for lunch. Hoping to get fitter for my holiday in a couple of months.

I think my flavoured teas will be greatly admired in this time, especially something as tasty as this one. It’s not chocolate as I know it but the sweetness of it makes it special, that being said it’s still a rather toasted and dark flavoured tea. My previous review still stands so this tea has aged well over the last 8 months.

Going to miss this one though no doubt I will find something in my stash to replace it with.

Drinking this was such an odd experience for me. My brain and my taste buds were constantly at war.

I don’t like coffee, in any way, shape or form. OK, I like the smell, but that’s it. So I read and read about mate in general and about this tea in particular, and it had such good reviews that I had to give it a try.

So I was measuring it into my infuser and Brain goes, “Boy that looks a little like it will taste like coffee.” I kept going.

Then as it was infusing, Brain goes again, “Smells a little like coffee.” So I put a little creamer in my mug to make it more like chocolate malted milk.

Then I took a drink, and it really didn’t taste much like coffee at all. But I kept having to talk myself into enjoying it.

Things got weird then, because before every drink Brain would say again, “It’s going to taste like coffee” even though I had already tasted it! Then I would drink it, and it didn’t.

After this cup I was exhausted from the argument and I went back to bed.

But really, it wasn’t bad!

Suziqzer

Love how your brain is arguing with you on this one even when you knew it wasn’t going to taste like coffee. This is probably one my Hubby would enjoy. I like the occasional coffee, but not too strong and usually with yummy stuff added !

Stephanie

I used to love this one quite a bit but lately the chocolate has been tasting a bit artificial to me.

I drank this plain and it actually tastes pretty good! I don’t get the malted taste, but I do get a nice roasty, chocolate taste with hints of coffee.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Espresso, Leather, Malt, Tar, Tobacco

I’ll rate this after I try it tomorrow with milk and sugar, but so far it is malty and delightful! I don’t taste the chocolate so much, but my sense of taste is poor.