Banana Tie Guan Yin

Fruit Oolong Blend
Freeze Dried Banana Slices, Natural Flavours, Oolong Tea
banana, Smooth, Creamy, Floral, Fruity, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal, Banana, Cream, Mineral, Caramel, Butter, Bitter, Astringent, Vanilla
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Tea Advent Calendar – Day 19 How is it less than a week until Christmas??? So much left to do… Anyway, this tea made me realize that I don’t think I’ve ever had a plain banana-flavored tea before....” Read full tasting note
  • “This is over a year old at this point, so I was hesitant when I found it buried under other teas. However, this is still really good. I think I underleafed on the first cup so I’m getting mostly a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Iced tea! Drinking a lot more cold brewed or iced tea right now because of the change in weather. This was from a sealed bag of this tea that I believe I’ve had for a long while now; saving this...” Read full tasting note
  • “it’s been rainy the last couple of days, the temperature has dipped down and it actually feels like fall. yes. perfect, just like this tea. I thought I was going to have to partially swim to work...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for October 12, 2015!

While scanning some of the reviews appearing on Steepster – as I often do – I came across a review for one of the older Oolong Teas produced by 52Teas and although it wasn’t a banana flavored Oolong, they mentioned that they taste banana flavors in the tea. So, I thought, hey, why not a Banana Oolong?

Sounds good to me! I thought it might sound good to you too. So I went ahead and made it – and I’m very pleased with the result – really yummy! The banana is strong but doesn’t overpower the sweet, luscious, lightly floral notes and hints of nutty flavor from the TieGuanYin. I love the way the tea and flavor meld – really nice!

All Organic Ingredients: Oolong Tea, Freeze Dried Bananas & Natural Flavors.

Steep: 1 of tea to 12 oz. 180°F water. Steep 2-4 minutes. Allow tea to cool 5-6 minutes after brewing for best flavor.

About 52teas View company

Tea Advent Calendar – Day 19

How is it less than a week until Christmas??? So much left to do…

Anyway, this tea made me realize that I don’t think I’ve ever had a plain banana-flavored tea before. It’s always banana walnut or banana bread or banana pancakes or something. And after trying this one, I think I do prefer having another flavor in there to balance out the banana. This one felt a bit bland and I found myself wanting some nutty notes (like Fava’s Banana Walnut Bread) or maple (like AQTT’s Banana Pancakes). But it was smooth and easy to drink and gave me the caffeine boost I needed this morning, so not complaining!

Flavors: banana, Smooth

This is over a year old at this point, so I was hesitant when I found it buried under other teas. However, this is still really good. I think I underleafed on the first cup so I’m getting mostly a candy-ish banana flavor and a faint whiff of tea. I’m guessing I need a bit extra since it’s older. We’ll see how the second round goes.

Iced tea!

Drinking a lot more cold brewed or iced tea right now because of the change in weather. This was from a sealed bag of this tea that I believe I’ve had for a long while now; saving this cup of banana deliciousness for a “rainy day”, so to speak. Well, quarantine self care seemed like as good a reason as any.

This was delicious iced; definitely floral oolong but a little bit of nuttyness as well and then a smooth medium bodied and quite creamy/silky banana. Mmm! I would love to see a reblend of this; it’s quintessential 52Teas banana but so straightforward and well balanced. Also, oolong!!

CrowKettle

Oh, yeah! This one rocks and definitely deserves a reblend.

Nattie

Seconded! (Thirded?)

it’s been rainy the last couple of days, the temperature has dipped down and it actually feels like fall. yes. perfect, just like this tea. I thought I was going to have to partially swim to work this morning (it had been raining since at least midnight and stopped around….5am ish?) bc the city where I live is so used to being in drought, that rain? raiiin? the entire city like floods bc WHO KNOWS WHAT TO DO WITH THIS WATER? so, I packed an extra pair of socks and this tea to prepare myself for being upset this morning, but surprisingly it wasn’t too bad. I didn’t even see any huge puddles of water. nice.

tldr; it rained and this tea is actual banana perfection.

This is delicious cold brewed or hot. Tie Guan Yins are one of my favourite teas.

Flavors: banana, Creamy, Floral, Fruity, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal

Iced

This is so perfect. I should’ve picked up more, especially considering I got dinged for Duty by Canada-US Customs and won’t be ordering again for a looooong time because I’m so mad (yet, I’m already fighting the compulsion to order a giant pouch of this).

Seriously though, the world needs more creamy banana with brightly floral tieguanyin. This is a jackpot blend for my taste buds. I look forward to resteeping and savouring all 12g of this.

Steep Count: 4

(2017 holiday reblend)

Flavors: Banana, Cream, Floral, Mineral

Evol Ving Ness

To be dinged by Customs with already worrying about the poor exchange AND shipping sucks. A lot.

CrowKettle

They didn’t even end up charging me for anything in the parcel- just the inconvenience of holding and handling for $13 CAD. Not impressed.

Mastress Alita

I hate to admit it, but it’s all the US/Canada customs horror stories which is why I personally won’t ship over the border. I once really needed a medical device from Canada (had more settings and didn’t require a script for it in Canada) but I knew the shipping would be evil part when my good online friend up there agreed to get it for me when I sent her the money for it. She brought it with her on a visit to friends in Michigan, then shipped it to me after she was stateside. Honestly, though, it shouldn’t have to be that difficult…

Evol Ving Ness

I have had A LOT of tea coming from the States and all without incident. However, out of dozens, one batch got dinged and I won’t be ordering from that company again.

CrowKettle

I’ve been ordering across border semi-regularly since 2011 and never payed duty. Going by the paper slip they sent me and the original customs declaration, I honestly don’t know how they justified it here. The tea companies I love right now are so limited right now that I’d be pretty choked to cut out 52teas. I’ll probably give it another shot and if it happens again it will be a PO box for me!

@Mastress Alita, glad that worked out and that you had such an amazing contact! The hassle can be real.

mrmopar

It is more about how the declaration on the customs paperwork is I think. If you list something as a gift and list the value as low I think it will bypass the duties.

this sounds yummy….

Fjellrev

That sucks, CrowKettle! I’m lucky that so far I haven’t been charged for any tea orders, however, I’ve been dinged 2-3 times for ColourPop (and maaaybe another cosmetics order from somewhere else…) so I stopped ordering from them. Definitely all the more frustrating when we are already dealing with a weak dollar.

Evol Ving Ness

If the value is listed at under a 100, it should be fine. It is the over 100 purchases that seem to raise eyebrows at the border.

CrowKettle

Yeah, it was listed well below 100 ($29) so it’s a mystery to me. Oh, well!

!!!!!!

Likely a random spot check then. Boo! And here I thought that I had things figured out. Luck of the draw then.

Evol Ving Ness

Certainly an uncertain world.

Fjellrev

Hmm, just checked and my Colourpop orders were all 40-60 USD, yet they got me anyway.

Evol Ving Ness

When did this dinging take place?

I am wondering whether it might have something to do with the orange debacle’s more recent attack on us— tariffs etc?

Starfevre

“the orange debacle” LOL

Evol Ving Ness

hahaha, and that it more of my more polite euphemisms.

I love a banana tea, but I prefer my banana flavor be that of ripened bananas. The banana flavor in this tea was a bit…erm…green. It wasn’t full-on unripened banana. It reminded me of those times when you buy a bunch of a bananas that don’t quite ripen fast enough…but you have a hankering for a banana so you eat it, even those it’s still a bit green.

I’m also a bit iffy when it comes to oolong teas. I can count, on one hand, the oolong blends that I’ve actually enjoyed enough to drink more than just one cuppa. The oolong base for this blend is a little bit too mineral for my tastes. That quality combined with the flavor of unripened bananas just did not work well for me.

Sad times.

Flavors: banana, Mineral

Banana and oolong. A favorite and a new friend together in one tasty tea.

My internet went out yesterday so a few teas to backlog. This is a really lovely tea – i love the banana blend with the tie guan yin – i’d love more banana flavouring, but even without more banana flavouring, i am still loving this one.