Winter Cabin Chai

Black Chai Blend
Black Peppercorn, Black Teas, Cardamom Pods, Nutmeg, Organic Cinnamon Pieces, Organic Cloves, Organic Ginger, Organic Honeybush, Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Vanilla Beans
Smoke, Black Pepper, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Ginger, Spices, Clove, Campfire, Dust, Fireplace, Nutmeg, Nutty, Salt, Salty, Smoked, Tannin
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “It seems like everyone on steepster really liked this blend. I wanna start by saying I wanted to like it. I bought the large size thinking that I would! I wanted to like it soooooo baddddd. But I...” Read full tasting note
    sophiar727 61 tasting notes
  • “Generally speaking, 52Teas’ black base chai blends—note, I have no idea what Frank’s versions were like—are always, or very usually, a win with me. The spice blends are...” Read full tasting note
    evol-ving-ness 300 tasting notes
  • “This is the third tea of my recent 52Teas order. I believe they were going for a fire burning in a rustic cabin feel, and I think they nailed it. The smoke is prominent here, but not overpowering...” Read full tasting note
    maddyb 385 tasting notes
  • “I am in love with this chai. I love everything about it, but a special shout out to the smokiness of it. I was freezing when I made it, so this was just perfect for snuggling up with my cat and...” Read full tasting note
    asoftskeleton 8 tasting notes

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for December 19, 2016!

I’m not exactly sure how to explain my inspiration behind this tea except to say that I wanted to create something that evoked thoughts of a little cabin out in the woods during a winter snowstorm. Inside the cabin, it’s warm and toasty, there’s a fire cracking in the fireplace and you’re – yes you! Not me, I’d prefer no snowstorm please. Since I’m the one writing the story, you’ll be the character in the story, m-kay? You’re curled up in front of the fireplace, wrapped in a warm, fuzzy blanket and you’re roasting marshmallows. I wanted a chai that captured that story.

I wanted something warm and spicy but also sweet and toasty. Something that hints of slightly charred marshmallows while still letting you know that it’s a chai you’re sipping. I wanted the spices to be in the forefront but not so aggressive that the delightful roasted marshmallow flavor is overpowered.

And I think I’ve accomplished what I set out to do – try it yourself and see if you agree!

organic ingredients: black teas, honeybush, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, clove, black pepper, nutmeg, marshmallow root, vanilla bean and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

It seems like everyone on steepster really liked this blend. I wanna start by saying I wanted to like it. I bought the large size thinking that I would! I wanted to like it soooooo baddddd. But I just hate the smoky flavor. Ugh I hate it so much. Yuck!!!!!! Anne, please re-blend this with no lapsang souchong! (if thats what you used) Please please! Every other ingredient I am ALL FOR!! I was SO EXCITED for a chai that included marshmallow root and vanilla!! The smokiness just ruined it for me. My boyfriend liked it though. Im sad :( Please make a marshmallow chai…please please please…with no smoke!

Flavors: Smoke

Generally speaking, 52Teas’ black base chai blends—note, I have no idea what Frank’s versions were like—are always, or very usually, a win with me. The spice blends are balanced and kapow with no one spice predominating, just the way I like them. Occasionally, one of the spices does a peekaboo and that’s just great as well. I drink the chais straight up and unsweetened, with perhaps a bit of dark chocolate alongside.

This one too is a beaut with just the right amount of smoke and spice. I know that smoke thing has been tricky to get balanced in past 52Teas blends, but here it is totally working. Yay, 52Teas, well done! I think we’ve got it.

If I were to change one wee thing, it would be to have the vanilla and marshmallow peek out a bit more, but truly, I don’t know if that is a possibility in tea blending. Can’t blame me for wishing and hoping, right?

Edit—As the tea sits and cools more—not that I drink it hot to begin with, mind you— a bit more of the vanilla and marshmallow steps in. So, my happiness is now complete.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Ginger, Smoke

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Maddy Barone

I had this last night and I really enjoyed it!

This is the third tea of my recent 52Teas order. I believe they were going for a fire burning in a rustic cabin feel, and I think they nailed it. The smoke is prominent here, but not overpowering the clove and cardamom. I did not get the sweetness in this cup, but I didn’t miss it. The tea is not bitter or astringent. I really enjoy trying out the teas from 52Teas. They are all excellent quality teas, with unusual flavor combinations. I’m glad I got to try this one. I wouldn’t want 50 grams of this, but the taster size I purchased will be just right.

Flavors: Smoke, Spices

Shae

Your description sold me. I think I’ll try this one tonight.

Maddy Barone

I’m having a second cup! Just as good as the first.

I am in love with this chai. I love everything about it, but a special shout out to the smokiness of it. I was freezing when I made it, so this was just perfect for snuggling up with my cat and starting a new knitting project.

On the Sixth Day of Christmas my true love gave to me… Winter Cabin Chai!

Wow, we’re halfway through the countdown already? It’s hard to think that in less than a week it’ll be Christmas. Wasn’t Thanksgiving a week ago? My how time flies.

I was pretty stoked to see the name of the tea reveal itself underneath that scratch off foil. I saw the words, ‘winter cabin’ and ‘chai’ together and got a little thrill. I love chai in the wintertime, it is such a soothing, warming collection of spices. You And the words winter cabin immediately put in my head visions of a smoking chimney and comforting warmth. You can’t have a smoking chimney without a little Lapsang.

Upon opening the package, I was not disappointed. The menagerie of spices mingled with a strong note of spice made all more enticing to my nose. I scooped out some tea to toss into my teapot and was pleasantly surprised to find that the cardamom pods in the blend had already been popped open. Usually, whenever I make myself a cup of chai, regardless of preparation, I always use my stone grinder to slightly crush the cardamom pods. That way, all the goodness and flavor will become more prominent in my cup. I do notice that the blend itself is very fine. I take note of this and reducing my usual black tea brewing time to just 2 1/2 minutes.

Sipping the brew, I let out a sigh of comfort. I love smoky notes in tea, so the more the merrier for me. Following the smoke flavor is a combination of cloves and allspice. Rounding out the cup is that cardamom I keep going on about as well as cinnamon and a light touch of black tea astringency. A very soothing cup for a cold December Monday!

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Smoke

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Y’know, I was actually excited about this tea. It was a crisp 26 degrees this morning, and I was really looking forward to trying this tea. I’d accidentally scratched off the hologram sticker for day 6 yesterday before realizing yesterday was actually day 5. I don’t mind chai blends. I tend to steep them in milk to temper the spiciness, but the “cabin” bit should’ve tipped me off. That said, I’m from south Texas where winter isn’t really a thing and very few people actually have fireplaces. I don’t think I’ve ever even been to a cabin. But, I digress, I reluctantly took one sip of this tea and immediately offered up the remains of my cuppa to several family members who took one whiff and passed.

Sadly, the smokiness of the lapsang souchong makes this tea undrinkable for me. Had it just been one of the lovely black tea bases that I adore from 52teas, I probably would’ve made a few lattes and easily finished the sample bag.

So far I’m 4 for 6 with the 52teas 12 days of Christmas tea sampler. I guess that ain’t too bad.

Unfortunately I didn’t realize this was a smokey tea. I very much dislike smokey teas, even if it is just a tiny bit of smoke. I know most people like smokey teas, so I’m not going to give this a number rating because it would be unfairly low.

I like the black base, but the smoke really over powers any subtle flavours that could have been more evident. The pepper is spicy, which I really like, but I didn’t enjoy the proportions of the other spices. It might just be the smoke messing with me, it makes everything taste savoury, so it can be difficult to think of it as being right as a sweet/dessert blend at the same time.

I think this tea would be excellent for most people, just not for me.

Flavors: Campfire, Dust, Fireplace, Nutmeg, Nutty, Salt, Salty, Smoke, Smoked, Spices, Tannin

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

On the 6th Day of Christmas – This tea is also our Tea of the Week!

I decided to go latte with this cuppa and I’m oh-so-happy that I did. It’s so good. I’ve made a few chai blends since I’ve been doing the 52Teas thing, and I’m thinking that this one might be my favorite thus far.

As I’ve said in my tasting notes on my blog – http://52teas.com/blog/on-the-6th-day-of-christmas-and-our-tea-of-the-week/ – my inspiration behind this blend is a holiday card photo – you know the one – it’s a woodsy area covered in snow and in the middle of the scene is a little cabin with smoke wafting out of the chimney. What kind of tea would I want if I were tucked inside that cabin? Chai of course! And as I’m snuggled up by the warmth of the fire, I might roast a marshmallow or two (or three or four!)

So this tea is created around that idea – a chai tea with the flavor of toasted marshmallow mingling amid the warm ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom and black pepper. There’s some (just a pinch!) of Lapsang Souchong to represent the smell of smoky pine and the charred taste from the roasted marshmallows.

This is really good straight up – I recommend adding a little bit of sugar (I prefer raw sugar) or honey to bring out the flavor of the spices. A splash of milk to make it a latte will add an irresistible creaminess to the cup.