Mom's Birthday Cake (aka Date Cake with Ginger Orange Glaze)

Orange, Spices, Sweet
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “Sad Sad Sad Sipdown! I loved loved loved this blend. A little spice, a little sweet, a little sass- this tea really was one of my ultimate 52Teas favs. The black tea notes were noticeable but...” Read full tasting note
  • “Not a favourite, but not bad either. The flavouring here is just a little bit much for me – it’s a lot of orange in a way that reads as a bit perfumed with how dense and floral the undertones are....” Read full tasting note
  • “This smells absolutely incredible. Like a honey pound cake topped with date syrup and candied oranges. The flavor is much more subdued than the smell, and there’s a bit of sharpness from the black...” Read full tasting note
  • “Our Tea of the Week for March 2, 2020! This tea was crafted in honor of my mom – her birthday is at the beginning of March, and I wanted to create a tea for her birthday. Date! Orange! Ginger! Even...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for March 2, 2020!

My mom’s birthday is this week, so I decided that I should make a tea to celebrate the woman who brought the Mad Tea Artist into the world. Happy Birthday, Mom – you mean the world to me!

This tea starts with a blend of black teas (a flavorful Keemun & a rich, tippy Yunnan – both organic!) – then I added lots of sweet, delicious dates, dried orange wedges, ginger root & just a touch of cake essence to create a birthday cake that should bring a smile to my mom’s face – & hopefully yours too!

Super yummy – this blend is organic, VEGAN, gluten free & allergen free!

organic ingredients: black teas, dates, ginger root, oranges & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Sad Sad Sad Sipdown! I loved loved loved this blend. A little spice, a little sweet, a little sass- this tea really was one of my ultimate 52Teas favs. The black tea notes were noticeable but really the orange, ginger, and dates were the main star. Might not taste 100% like a cake but regardless, this tea was delicious and I’m sad to see it go.

sipdown 2021

Flavors: Orange, Spices, Sweet

gmathis

Ooh…dates in tea! When I was little and I had depleted all the secret cookie and candy stashes that Mom thought she had hidden from me, I’d go for the dates next.

Nichole/CuppaGeek

You are a doll! I love your stories! I don’t think I ever had real date until earlier this year when I grabbed some at Costco. We now buy them in bulk :)

Not a favourite, but not bad either.

The flavouring here is just a little bit much for me – it’s a lot of orange in a way that reads as a bit perfumed with how dense and floral the undertones are. Quite coating on the palate, and while it starts pleasant (like a cake drenched in orange liquor/syrup) it builds to a point where it’s just sort of okay for me. I like the little undercurrent of ginger warmth with the sweet, dense orange though. The balance is just a little off for me personally.

I think I’m gonna try and focus on sipping this one down, and leave it on my counter next to the kettle – I like the idea of keeping sipdown focuses close by, I know some other people here on Steepster use that method to help them keep focused on their sipdowns.

Cameron B.

It definitely helps me, because laziness! Ha ha! XD

Mastress Alita

Ya, I keep mine in a little kitchen “organizer” on the counter right next to the kettle that holds certain tea gear like the gram scale, measuring cup, honey, etc. Perfect place since I have a small stash of teas I know need drunk up right next to all the tea stuff, and I don’t have to dig through the giant bins of tea for them.

This smells absolutely incredible. Like a honey pound cake topped with date syrup and candied oranges. The flavor is much more subdued than the smell, and there’s a bit of sharpness from the black tea blend. The ginger is very mild, almost undetectable. The combination of flavors is lovely.

Date! Orange! Ginger! Even a touch of cake-y flavor. This blend comes together the way I hoped it would. The orange & date are a bit softer so that the flavor of the dates could be front & center. The orange is sweet & bright – complementing the notes of date very nicely so that the sweetness of the date does not become a cloying taste. The ginger is gently warm – a warmth that starts off in the back of the throat & slowly develops. It’s nice – not too spicy – but contrasting the sweeter notes of the fruit & cake just enough to keep things interesting for the palate.

tea-sipper

A great idea for a blend – sounds delicious!