Green Japanese Bamboo

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tina

1 Tasting Note View all

From A C Perch's

Green Japanese sencha and bancha tea with papaya, mango, pineapple, rosebuds and bamboo. Can be served cold as an ice tea as well. Temperature 70-80 C for 7 minutes

About A C Perch's View company

1 Tasting Note

Uhm, nom. This smells delicious in the bag, like a bamboo caramel fruit cup (although I have a feeling that particular flavour combination wouldn’t exactly fly out of the fruit cup aisle).

I kind of adore this, although I steeped it very sloppily, so it might just be a happy mistake. I mainly get bamboo and pineapple – a big, bold, juicy mid-mouth bamboo-pineapple, no drably elusive aftertaste phantasm.

Now I really want to try this iced. And also see if I can tease a few more fruit notes out of it with a longer steeping time.

[Sample gifted by my sweet friend T, October 2013.]

CK

What does bamboo taste like? I’ve never had bamboo tea, sounds interesting.

Anna

If I tell you, you might become a target for the GPC (Global Panda Coalition), but as long as you’re aware of the risks involved…

It’s a crisp white-green flavour, much like a bite out of canned bamboo shoots, if you imagine them greener and more vegetal.

JustJames

@CK you can try fresh bamboo shoots in some asian restaurants. have you ever cut down bamboo? there’s a bitterness that comes with cutting that ISN’T in the taste, but if you snip a twiggy little branch you get a very light, fresh, sweet smell that’s wood but not wood? is that perfectly unclear? lol

CK

Thanks guys, good descriptions. I’ve only ever eaten bamboo shoots in dishes that were already seasoned shoyu so not a clue what they taste like otherwise. I will be on the lookout and then I may grasp JustJames’ wood but not wood, lol :)

Anna

As long as you ask him before grasping his wood-but-not-wood. Consent culture FTW.

LOL…..

JustJames

@Anna BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste, or so i’ve heard. ;-D

Tina

This tea is so delicious! The taste of bamboo.. Nom. Mums

CK

@Anna – nice catch there lol…

Anna

CK – I’m sorry. I simply couldn’t resist.