Zhen Quo Super China Black

Edit tea info Last updated by ashmanra

• “This is one of the best teas carried by A Southern Season In my opinion. This as the first tea of tea party Wednesday. I always choose a nice black tea to start with if we are having a rich...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1897 tasting notes
  • “The leaves are very interesting - they are almost...puffy! like chamomile blossoms. Lots of light leaves - very unique looking! I steeped my first cup conservatively - 3 minutes, 200 degree...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “A Surprise gift from Ashmanra! Thank you for sharing this. The dry leaf is fluffy and oh so soft. It is a pretty mix of tan and dark browns. It does resemble a dark version of Bi Lo Chun. The...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1453 tasting notes
  • “This is a delightful tea! Thank you so much to *ASHMANRA* for this sample. Although I did not pick up on the soy sauce overtones mentioned in Jacqueline M's review, I did find it deeply robust...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes

From A Southern Season

Product description not available yet.

About A Southern Season View company

This is one of the best teas carried by A Southern Season In my opinion. This as the first tea of tea party Wednesday. I always choose a nice black tea to start with if we are having a rich dessert, which we usually are.

Our dessert this time was Fudge Pie, the recipe from a local beloved restaurant that closed decades ago, and I made a raspberry sauce and homemade vanilla ice cream, also drizzled with raspberry sauce, to go with it. A single raspberry topped each serving. It was so rich that we needed a nice, plain black tea that had good body and flavor to stand up without standing out too much.

This was a very good tea with it, but I think that an even stronger one, like a Keemun, would have been better as the raspberry sauce was really flavorful.

On a side note, I have just been joined by the dog because my daughter’s hedgehog is keeping him up. He just started running on his wheel and he runs all.night.long.

Veronica

Your tea parties sound glorious!

ashmanra

We have a lot of fun, and since my youngest daughter became obsessed with cooking I have gained four pounds and more visitors. LOL

The leaves are very interesting – they are almost…puffy! like chamomile blossoms. Lots of light leaves – very unique looking!

I steeped my first cup conservatively – 3 minutes, 200 degree water – and I think I could have taken it to 4 minutes. No bitterness or astringency, and that wonderful tangy flavor I love from certain Chinese black teas – but a little different. I don’t want to say it reminds me of soy sauce but it has a sort of sweet fermented quality like soy sauce. Really, really good. I can see this tea being excellent with food (I am picturing a rice bowl with salmon and some sort of green – mmmmm!).

The second steep, at 4 minutes, is just as interesting and delicious. What a great, one of a kind tea! Thank you thank you thank you ashmanra!

ashmanra

So glad you liked it! This one reminds me a LITTLE of Harney and Sons Golden Monkey, but I guess it is just the sweetness of it. I don’t add anything to Zhen Quo although I think a little honey might be good in it. I would love a plate of pepper steak to have with it right now….

A Surprise gift from Ashmanra! Thank you for sharing this.

The dry leaf is fluffy and oh so soft. It is a pretty mix of tan and dark browns. It does resemble a dark version of Bi Lo Chun. The dry scent is a bit cocoa to my nose. I steeped a healthy scoop for 2 ½ minutes in below boiling water. This is just a hunch since it works so well with Teavivre blacks.

The brew is dark but not too dark and has honey/caramel notes. The wet leaf is small torn pieces and chocolate in color.

The aroma in the cup is very similar to golden tips. Fruity – winelike. The sip images sweet dried hay. The aftertaste is mildly honeyed. Absolutely no hint of bitterness or astringency. From beginning to end this is a very good cuppa.

Second cup, full roiling boil for 4 minutes. This is very similar to the first cup. No bitterness or astringency. Just good sipping.

ashmanra

Glad you like it! Steepsterite Sandy was my neighbor and she turned me on to this tea.

This is a delightful tea! Thank you so much to ASHMANRA for this sample. Although I did not pick up on the soy sauce overtones mentioned in Jacqueline M’s review, I did find it deeply robust and satisfying.

This is a different tea for sure and a keeper. I will have to place an order. It is very smooth. I had it straight up and loved it that way but I also think it could sustain milk and/or sugar and is stalwart enough to be experimented with.

Thank you, Ashmanra.

ashmanra

It resteeps pretty well, too!

So I have decided that for me this is the perfect office tea. I like the tast both hot and cold. I like it with out any additives – no trips back top to the break room to grab sugar or milk. It is very forgiving if I forget and over steep.

ashmanra

This is one of the most unique looking teas I have ever seen. It is soooo good and the honey aroma is wonderful. I agree, it is good no matter how you drink it!

Thanks to Ashmanra for this sample. This is a delightful tea- malty and not astringent. And of course, no milk and sugar needed. This almost seems like a high quality yunnan….

ashmanra

Lori, When I go back to Southern Season I will ask them the origin of this tea. I don’t know where it comes from, but it is without a doubt the fuzziest, softest, fluffiest golden tip tea I have ever seen. It reminds me a little bit of Golden Monkey in that aspect…