wild forest oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ashmanra

• “It's baaaaaaaack! After two years of not being able to buy this one, they have it on shelf at A Southern Season again. The bad news is, it has gone up to $14.95 an ounce. O.O But hey, I can buy...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “Many many thanks to ashmanra for sending me some of this very precious tea to try! This is one of the most interesting teas I've ever tasted! I think it's called "wild forest" because it tastes...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “I am not sure if I should thank Ashmanra for sending me a sample of this. It is fabulous but now I am an addict to a $200 a pound tea. This tea is worth though, it is that amazing. Just to look...” Read full tasting note
    sandragon 60 tasting notes

From A Southern Season

Product description not available yet.

About A Southern Season View company

It’s baaaaaaaack! After two years of not being able to buy this one, they have it on shelf at A Southern Season again. The bad news is, it has gone up to $14.95 an ounce. O.O But hey, I can buy one ounce, resteep like mad, and hoard it until I can afford more.

When I first tried this one I was rather new to oolongs. This tea fascinated me, and it still does. It doesn’t seem quite as alien to me now, though. For a long time I was convinced that something had been added, like perhaps licorice root. (The staff vows that nothing at all has been added.) But now that I have had some really fine TGY teas, mostly thanks to Teavivre, I recognize that this is somewhat similar to those. It is much stronger though, and has a cooling flowery presence that swells each time you inhale, and it doesn’t stop after your finish your tea. I can continue for quite a long time.

This is one I will only drink when I have time alone with my kettle and cup.

mrmopar

You are a hoarder…..I am guilty too….

Sandy

Hoorah! I am glad it is back for you to enjoy.

This is one of the most interesting teas I’ve ever tasted! I think it’s called “wild forest” because it tastes a bit like those fresh pine needles that I had in that pine tisane! That piney/menthol/lemonyness… but fine delicious tea too! It’s a great combination and addictive! My taste buds are curious and keep nudging me to take another sip because they can’t quite place these flavors…together!

I’m looking forward to many many steeps today, and will post a comment later on how they evolved!

ashmanra

Supposedly, it is called Wild Forest because the old tea masters go out into the forests where they alone know the locations of wild, uncultivated tea trees and gather the leaves to make this tea! I think a lot of these stories are romantic marketing and for our benefit, but fun nevertheless! :)

JacquelineM

I am on my second steep and I can’t believe how SWEET it is!! What a prize, whatever the hows and whys :) :) :) Mmmmmm! I was going to have some Royal Wedding this afternoon, but I think this one is going to delight me the entire day!

JacquelineM

I’m going on my 6th steep and it’s still vibrant and extremely naturally sweet. I’m still getting piney – maybe sage/thyme or even ginko – but an overwhelming sweetness after you take a sip. This is the most unique tea experience I’ve had in quite awhile!

ashmanra

That lingering sweetness is amazing! Every time I inhale my head fills with flowers again…

I am not sure if I should thank Ashmanra for sending me a sample of this. It is fabulous but now I am an addict to a $200 a pound tea. This tea is worth though, it is that amazing. Just to look at it you think much of this little tea. It is nonuniform, some big chunks some tiny leaves, a nice shade of green but nothing special. The smell of the wet leaves was like toasted pine nuts or maybe sunflower seeds to me. The truly amazing thing is the transformative taste of this tea. It first hits your tongue as a mineral, nutty roundness and the as you swallow becomes some and citrusy and lingers on the back of your palate. As you inahle after you still have those lingering notes. It is so amazing that you simply want to meditate on this tea and the sensory experience that you have just had. I am quite simply hooked.

ashmanra

I enjoyed our virtual tea tasting from NZ to US! I will be buying more of this, and will send you some!

Sandy

Oh thank you, thank you. my addiction needs to be feed. :)

How were the resteeps?

Sandy

They were very good. I have 1 left for this evening. Still as nice as the first steep