Ali Shan

Oolong Tea
Butter, Citrus, Floral, Green, Honeydew, Lime, Rainforest, Tart, Wet Rocks
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Portuguese explorers called this island. The oolong tea grown here continues to be called as such. The exquisite bouquet of Formosa Oolong tea is regarded to be the finest in the world. Complex floral notes echo on your palate as you enjoy this product of Taiwan’s Ali mountain. Light bodied and softly sweet with an underlying complexity, this oolong will surely come to haunt. Perfect for multiple infusions.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

HOLY CRAP THIS IS SUCH A CLEAN AND DELICIOUS OOLONG. WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE NOOO!!! I totally want to get some of this someday though, it’s super great. Such a light colour!

Single cip, Honey

A bit better this time around. Still a flavor in there that makes my nose wrinkle a bit.

Is it the citrusy flavor?

Previously I’ve brewed this western style, with good results. Today I tried 5g in my 100ml gaiwan. 10 second rinse. THEN: I got distracted by the election results on TV (first time I voted today, yay!) and completely overbrewed it. _ I was trying to go for [20, 15, 20, 30, 45 etc], but ended up doing something like [30, 20, 35, 55, 70?, 3 mins??]. You know what I’m not even sure. I was counting silently in my head then it got all jumbled when those heavily hairsprayed people with extremely white teeth on TV started rattling out other numbers.

But thankfully this tea still came out alright, despite my mishandling. I drank all steeps, shared some with my mom, and she even asked for seconds. I did manage to pull together enough attentiveness to get one fantastic brew though, I think it was the third. Now if only I could repeat that…

{_falls on knees_} I’m so sorry Alishan! Next time I promise to accord you the mindful brewing you deserve! ;_;

195 °F / 90 °C

I tried to like it. I wanted to like it. BUT…I don’t. This tea smells musty, tastes sharp at first then turns super dry. It’s almost like a dry white wine but without the promise of a little buzz. Does anyone want my sample tin? I’ll trade ya!

… I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshing peachy aftertaste, after eventually steeping at a slightly even lower temperature, and a little more lingering steep times. After a year, a good tea can still prove to be discretely tasteful.

A good tea is like an old friend.

This oolong is hands down the best I have ever tasted – it is floral and sweet, and is good for many steeps. It is pricey compared to what I am used to, but not too bad considering how well it resteeps.

Minty aroma after second steeping. Nice orchid, flowery flavor and sweetness. However, it’s not incredibly impressive. A good tea to have every now and then, but not something to die over.

Best in a gaiwan, where it can unfurl and present itself to the eye. My favourite method is thusly: 6oz porcelain gaiwan, about 1/2 tablespoon tea, hot (not boiling) water, one minute for first infusion, a bit more for the second, and keep increasing time by about a half minute or to taste. Best taste around fourth infusion, maybe 2 or 3 minutes by then. Light greenish flavour but not grassy. I was very surprised at how large the leaves get during subsequent infusions… you do NOT want to use too much tea. Does not get bitter if you leave it in the cup for a while, so take your time and enjoy at a leisurely pace. Bring hot water water with you to refill several times. Well worth it, one of my favourites.

This was my first ali shan, and I will definitely try more! The floral aroma of this tea is delightful. I felt relaxed and happy drinking it. With subsequent infusions, this tea became even more aromatic, with its honey and orchid undertones becoming more prominent. I really liked this!

My introduction to Adagio teas started with this one. It’s so wonderful! Definitely a thicker infusion, with a very deep floral note and a faint amount of sweetness, like honeysuckles. The liquor is rich and the leaves hold up very well to multiple infusions. I actually preferred the 3rd infusion over the rest, as it had the best balance of sweetness. Don’t worry if your infusions leave a liquor that looks unfinished—this brews very very lightly!