Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by silvey

From Adagio Teas

“Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Pu Erh tea, perhaps the most esoteric of Chinese varieties, has a pronounced earthy aroma and taste. It is very popular in China due to its notoriety as a slimming diet tea. Recent studies seem to support this claim, but attribute this property to all teas. We suggest trying a sample before committing to larger quantities. The earthy taste is not subtle. Chances are, you’ll either love it or hate it. Full-leaf tea in portable, individually wrapped bags – superior taste and maximum convenience.” – Adagio

About Adagio Teas View company

Rolled another “1” this morning and this was the tea to drink. This was my first pu. I don’t think it will be my last. But it will definitely take my tastebuds a LONG time to start tasting more than dirt and earthworms. I’m sharing my geek pride tea with my husband and I believe this has been the second most awful (just slightly higher than the other “1” tea). I couldn’t handle more than three sips of this tea. It is just not my thing.

Cofftea

Meghann M, did you do a longer steep like 3-5min? You may be like me and prefer a short steep following a rinse. And if you still find shu pu erh isn’t your thing, still try sheng. (IMO) it’s SO much better:)

Meghann M

Once I get through more teas in my cupboard I may try another. I still have yet to try the GM chai pu-erh. I can’t remember if that is the only pu in the sampler pack…if not, i have experiences ahead of me!

Oh, and I did do a longer steep. It was around 4 minutes as that’s what the bag suggested.

Cofftea

Meghann M- the chai and regular pu erhs are the only pu erhs in the sampler.

Rabs

Oh so sorry! This version was my first Pu Erh too and I found it utterly nasty. There is another one in the GM packet and it’s much much better than this. This is vile. :P I’m so proud that you made it three sips (I think I made it through 1/3 of the cup). This tea was the inspiration for the “3 sip” rule. ::shudders::

Rabs

Oops — I’m the DM and forgot my own rule: it’s the “1 sip” rule (not 3 sips). Huh, I think that I was too nice rule-wise ;)

Meghann M

You may have been too nice, 3 sips was alright…they were tiny sips. Because the tea was hot, yes, that is why, the tea was hot, very hot!

Glad to hear GM’s are better. I may give one from the sampler a try tomorrow. I’ve had too much black tea this evening. Suffering from a bit of a caffeine high. Must go for a walk or something!

Unfortunately, I’m on the “hate it” side of things and am very happy that this is a sampler. I won’t give up on it, but wow. After steeping I smelled the cup and thought “dirty fishtank.” I think that this could grow on me more than the chamomile, but wowsa. If I think “earthy” then I can handle it a bit better. My cat even came up and sniffed the cup and then recoiled (admittedly he’ll do that with almost anything he thinks might be a kitty treat and isn’t). M (but on the verge of GA just for the smell)

edit: bumped up my rating a bit – the taste did grow on me, but I still think I won’t reorder this. I’m open to trying another Pu Erh from a different company though.

Normal wakeup. I have about a pound of this, so I better like it. :-)

I’m on the third steep of this today and it continues to evolve delightfully. The liquor still has a deep, rich color almost like an agave syrup. Superb!

much better today- was prepared for the pungency. reminds of summer camps and a halfpipe on an old friend’s farm.