Formosa Oolong #8

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Portuguese explorers called this island. The oolong tea grown here continues to be called as such. The intense pungency and exquisite bouquet of Formosa Oolong tea is regarded to be the finest in the world. The ‘Oolong Symphony no. 8,’ comprised of large ‘choicest’ grade copper-red leaves with beautiful tips of silver is a wonderful introduction to this variety.

Also on the package: A darker oolong from Taiwan, formerly known as Formosa. Deep raisiny and ripe fruit aroma, autumn leafy note. Lingering flavor and smooth, refreshingly fruity astringency. A lovely introduction to Taiwanese tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

I love this tea first thing in the morning. It’s got such a great, deep color and aroma and the slightly sweet taste really gets me going and focused.

delicious, perfect, daily oolong. Definitely my favorite Adagio purchase so far.

As I was taught by a wonderful eccentric tea lady in my hometown, I usually steep oolongs for about a 1 min for the first time and make sure to take the tea out, then resteep at 1.30-2min for the second, 2.30-3min for the third, and you can definitely do that with this tea as well. One solid serving of loose-lease keeps me going for most of my evening. And definitely no milk or sweeteners needed!

I forgot I owned this one again.

I’m glad I remembered. There are serious high winds out there, and it’s cozy and has that nice leafiness. I’m having one of those days where I’m trying really hard not to nap and I should really be doing art and finishing job applications. Blech.

Oh hey guys, which Doctor Who character should I paint first?

carol who

Unless I have missed some of your paintings… how about River Song? or Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax? It’s the first day of Spring and we woke up to snow! I am soooo tired of winter!

Sami Kelsh

Cool! I basically need to paint all of the people from 2005 onwards because my focus has always been Classic (if that’s not, like, dead obvious) but MAN does Classic not sell. And I know that as an artist it’s probably really gauche for me to think in crass commercial terms, but loads more people care more about new stuff, which I kind of always left to other people, because Classic is kind of proportionally underrepresented. But dammit, a girl’s gotta eat, and so long as the working world doesn’t love me…

In the pouch: Definitely a smoky thing going on, and woody. Make sure to take it out of the packaging and give it a good sniff because it’s subtle and you can mistake the smell of the package for the smell of the tea if you’re not careful.

In the cup: Smells like oolong, pretty much.

Taste: First steep, subtle and smoky, with added honey bringing out a floral note (that I hope was not just the honey flavor). Second steep, much more woody flavor coming out, a little more smoke. I agree with the reviewer who said it was like cinnamon stick with more emphasis on the stick.

On my tea tasting afternoon with Mrawlins2, we sampled this oolong. Good smell in the tin. Just ok taste in my cup. I think I now understand why alot of oolongs are flavored.

Not what I expect from an Oolong. Not bad, but very different.

This tea is extremely woody. I get cinnamon stick—less cinnamon and much more stick. Another taster noted cigar ash, and I can only agree. It’s not strong, it’s just woody—did I say that?

I suspect this would be very good iced and with some sort of BBQ. The wood just begs for BBQ.

Kyle Hildebrant

I just had an epiphany about this tea: It’s Thai, yes, Thai. As in the type of tea used to make “Thai Tea”… that overly sweet sugar and cream infused tea. I think I may attempt my own Thai tea; but with a bit less sugar and cream.

The dark color and cigar-ash nose lead the drinker into believing he or she in for a more intense flavor experience as the impression left on the tongue is quite easy, albeit rather interesting.

What we taste is akin to light black tea with a very subtle pepperiness, muscatel sweetness and, yes, a cigar-ash smokiness threaded through the flavor profile in a not at all imposing or unpleasant way though, unlike most oolongs, I’ve found this to be good for only one steep.

I, for one, enjoy a good cigar in my tea.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

I’m seconding the oolong love.

At first I didn’t like this. Too woodsey, grassey. I resteeped it 3 times and enjoyed each infusion a little more. Not sure this will become part of my cupboard.

takgoti

The effect that resteeping has on oolongs is, in my opinion, their best quality. Of course, it has to end somewhere good. And I guess that starting somewhere good is helpful, too, hee.

Surprisingly mellow flavor for how dark the color is and how strong the aroma is.