Formosa Oolong #8

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Portuguese explorers called this island. The oolong tea grown here continues to be called as such. The intense pungency and exquisite bouquet of Formosa Oolong tea is regarded to be the finest in the world. The ‘Oolong Symphony no. 8,’ comprised of large ‘choicest’ grade copper-red leaves with beautiful tips of silver is a wonderful introduction to this variety.

Also on the package: A darker oolong from Taiwan, formerly known as Formosa. Deep raisiny and ripe fruit aroma, autumn leafy note. Lingering flavor and smooth, refreshingly fruity astringency. A lovely introduction to Taiwanese tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

Got a sample and was sold on oolongs immediately. On the light side, green, and a bit sweet.

Free sample tacked on to last order. <3

Dry leaves: a bit smaller that my other oolongs, dark brown and tan with leaves and stems, pleasantly rich and sweet aroma, like a well-loved cabin, subtle fruity notes.

Liquor: orange brown brew, mellowed from dry scent+touch of earth, touch of pipe tobacco. Moderately astringent, woodsy/musty overtones, faintly sweet. I think I will steep a bit longer (20-30 seconds longer)next time. As it cools it becomes richer and smoother.

A pretty nice dark oolong, could definitely see myself drinking this again, especially on a fall afternoon.

I got this tea as part of the Adagio Formosa Sampler. The first two teas in it, Pouchong and Jade Oolong were on the green side. This crosses the line to the black side of oolong. In fact, if I hadn’t known better, I would have thought this was a black tea. The package calls for it to be steeped in boiling water (I stopped short of that) and it steeped up a reddish brown—like a Ceylon or Darjeeling. The first steeping made me think of the Yunnan Dian Hong. It has that earthy flavor to it. Reviews I read described it as “woodsy” and “raisin-y” and I think that’s right. The second steeping is more mellow, reminiscent of cinnamon. It’s only a sample, which in a way is a shame, because I suspect it takes a bit getting used to, and for now I don’t think it’s going to bump Pouchong and Big Red Robe for go-to Oolong among the ones I’ve tried. But I certainly wouldn’t turn away from it if gifted or served to me. It’s a fine, very enjoyable tea—and without the mineral taste that I dislike in some oolongs—this would actually partner well with milk, which isn’t something I can say of other oolongs I’ve tried.

This is my first real oolong so any rating is purely subjective and based more on my experiences with my limited selection of mostly Yunnan Golden teas. It smells good, reminds me of fallen leaves. At just under boiling temperature, steeped under 3 minutes, I feel the taste is not quite as strong as I would like but it is still enjoyable. As my first oolong it is very hard to place the taste in context. It is an enjoyable cup of tea, yet it leaves me wanting more.

A very enjoyable dark oolong that is lighter and does not have any clear roasted notes. Overall a smooth rich taste that is slightly earthy and woodsy and at a very cheap price for oolong that does not equate low quality in this case.

This is a tasty basic oolong, like a lot of the other reviewers reported. It is smooth, a bit earthy, and generally good all around, but nothing special.

I steeped it with quick 20 secs steeps, while increasing the steeping time after each steep. I tried this with my glass teapot and also my purple clay teapot.

Verdict?
The leaves were pretty much chopped or like teabag mulch when I got it as a sample. Had a hard time cleaning afterwards…
As for the taste, it’s mildly toasty and a touch of something sweet, almost. But it’s pretty much your everyday oolong. Nothing special. Good in bulk.

I compared it to Teahaus farmosa oolongs, and this was much more flavorful than Teahaus’.

Chocolately, pungent aroma, very thick and savory. Broken leaves mean only get a second steeping, but it makes for two very different mugs, both savory and tasty.

Lovely toasty flavor, and a light mouth feel. It took a few sips for the astringency and leafy notes to come in, and they added nice complexity.

Too roasted for my tastes. There’s really nothing about it I like.