Formosa Bai Hao (Oolong #40)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Portuguese explorers called this island. The oolong tea grown here continues to be called as such. The intense pungency and exquisite bouquet of Formosa Oolong tea is regarded to be the finest in the world. However, only the finest of Formosa teas warrant the label of ‘fancy’ grade. This is such tea. The ‘Oolong Symphony no. 40’ has dark, silver-tipped leaves and produces a mesmerizing cup of delicate peachy notes and warm, soothing flavor. Well deserving its nickname as the true champagne of teas.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

Smell in the pouch: Sweet and smoky.

Smell in the cup: I know this is going to sound inappropriate as all hell, but it smells like the air at an ACDC concert. I was not expecting that at all.

Taste: Very smoky, not getting any real sweet at all. There has got to be a problem with either the water temperature or the steeping time here. It tastes better than the smell might suggest, but I can’t get over how it smells.

Finished my session for today. Used my new rat yixing teapot. Will have some later

195 °F / 90 °C

Tasty middle of the road Oolong. It’s good to prep the leaves and open them up by pouring some hot water and discarding before steeping.

Really enjoyed this tea. It has become my special friends tea when my tea liking friends come over.

I had forgotten about this one – been sitting on my shelf for the last 10 months. Hopefully that didn’t affect the quality but was airtight. Used the last of it tonight. Lovely smoky flavour – a bit bitter at first but gradually changes to a lingering, complex richness that fills your whole palate. Definitely a strong tea – perhaps not one for late at night like I just did. Would be very nice as a midday tea.

Very Darjeelingesque

A very nice, solid oolong. I grabbed a sample bag of this with my last order and was very impressed with the flavor of this tea.

This is the first oolong I fell in love with. I have then discovered that I prefer roasted oolongs. I haven’t found this anywhere else but in Adagio.

I steeped this tea 2-3 times and was pretty dissappointed at first. It was incredibly bland and dull. However, the fourth steep I just went all in and steeped two teaspoons at 205 for around 5 minutes. When I smelled the liquor I had to do a double take! It smelled like someone has poured peach juice in my cup. Let it go long like everyone suggests! This can be a great tea!

Deliciously smooth, yet complex oolong