Jade Oolong #18

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cheryl

• “Sip down! Yeah, finished all my adagio samples finally! I cold steeped this one overnight, and accidentally grabbed my Tfree tumbler instead of my water bottle on my way to jiujitsu. Totally had...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1075 tasting notes
  • “This had a really nice fresh moist green scent. I love the little curled up tea leaves. The leaves opened up into cute little Brussels sprout looking wrinkly leaves. I like the color of the...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “I'm not sure how this one has escaped tasting for so long. I was looking for something appropriate to try out my new cast-iron tetsubin and this was perfect. The leaves were tightly curled and...” Read full tasting note
    paulmtracy 141 tasting notes
  • “Ok, I love green oolongs and I've never had this (or any Jade oolong) before so when this came up as May's Roots Campaign featured tea I was pretty much suckered in instantly. 2.25g/6oz This...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Dutch explorers called this island. The oolong teas grown here continue to be called as such. Unlike its dark brethren, this is a Jade Oolong tea, almost green in appearance with large, hand-rolled leaves. Once infused, these unfurl to release this tea’s delicate notes, exquisite flavor and enchanting fragrance. The ‘Oolong Symphony no. 18’ tea is sure to become your favorite. We urge you to give it a try.

$14/5 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

Very nice and smoooooooth taste to this one. Suprisingly sweet yet delicate. I love to watch these leaves unfurl in my diffuser, and they withstand at least 4-5 good steeps for me. I can definitely taste the jade-ness in this tea and its really good! These big leaves are gorgeous!

wow. don’t let the numbers fool you. this tea has total personality. I always brew it with yixing tea pots, and it is good for the long haul of multiple brews. the liquor has a medium body, syrupy to start out, lightening up as you brew many times. floral and fruit notes abound as this soft yet distinct tea invigorates your senses.

Careful not to over steep this tea. The oolong flavor, while lightly smokey isn’t to over bearing for an inexperienced oolong drinker. I really love watching the leaves open up over the course of a couple steeps and would recommend a second steep. Classic taste.

bikermonster77

I like how you can notice the all the nuances of the tea…I must really be a tea noob hahaha.

I really like this. Going straight to my shopping list. More . . .

Very nice light oolong, not as good as wuyi or pouchong, this one has a more floral quality almost a woodiness. Its not my favorite green oolong but it isn’t bad and the multiple resteeps bring out different aspects of the floral notes.

I prepare this multiple times (gonfu style) with many short steepings. Each cup is very sweet, it has a flowery sweetness almost like honey. I’ve also prepared it with the recommended time on the package, but multiple short steeps is really the way to go. The tea takes on a whole new flavor that is much more enjoyable. This oolong is probably one of my favorites from Adagio.

Been a while, steepster. This is one of my favorite oolongs. I am now going on my 4th steeping, and it is still going strong. Very robust, almost smokey flavor, but subtle hints of flowery and even a little fruity notes. Very good tea morning, noon, and night.

Great all day light tea. I like this because it is a great idle tea for my blogging time in front of the computer. Taste is light but not weak. Use leaves 4-5 times when i brew this.

I can get 4-5 good steeps out of this before it starts getting noticeably weak, and the flavor is great. I actually like this a little bit more than the Iron Goddess. Wonderful blend at a wonderful price.

Method: Gongfucha with 7 grams of leaf to 120 ml of water with a quick rinse. (please note that I’m using my porcelain Oolong teapot for this, so subtract 10 seconds from the times and you’ll get the time when I started pouring the tea)

The tea is definitely a green oolong. It’s rolled into small little jade (fitting isn’t it) pellets. The scent is light, but sweet in a honey suckle-ish way. The wet leaf has the same smell with a thicker consistensy.

1st Steep (15 seconds): The Color is very light, a yellow with a slight green cast. The scent is also quite light, a little floral. The Taste is very nice, with that honey-floral that I got from the wet leaves. The Aftertaste is clean and lightly sweet that feels a little like it’s pressing on the back of the tongue.

2nd Steep (20 seconds): The Color seems a bit greener, and the Smell is much stronger, heady honey suckle scents. The Taste is fuller. I’m getting rich, sweet floral notes with a slight astringency in the finish. The Aftertaste is interesting, it leaves a taste like lightly sugared water on the inside of my cheeks.

3rd Steep (20 seconds): The Color has turned more yellow now with only a hinting of green in it. The Smell is thick, definitely honey, the floral notes are almost non-existant. The Taste has an very creamy mouthfeel and tastes like I’m drinking water and honey. The Aftertaste leaves an odd taste on the tip of my tongue that I can’t quite place. It’s not bad, it’s just really strange.

4th Steep (25 seconds): The Color keeps alternating between being greener and yellower, but it’s greener for now. The Scent has recaptured those floral notes with the honey being pushed a little further to the side. The Taste is clean and crisp, floral with a honey undertone. It’s the Aftertaste that tastes like honey-water now.

5th Steep (35 seconds): Color’s staying greener for once, nice! The Smell is about the same as the last infusion. The viscosity has increased dramatically, and I’m not sure exactly what caused it, but I like it. The Taste is still honey-floral, but there is noticeably more astringency, not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be unpleasant for wimps. ;) The Aftertaste is clean, with light floal notes on the sides on the tongue.

Summary: This is a pretty good green oolong, nowhere near the best, but it’s an affordable option for those who want a low elevation (just an assumption based on what little experience I have) Taiwanese oolong or are newer to green oolong. This will never be a daily drinker for me, but I’ll slowly plow through what I’ve got tucked away in my closet

195 °F / 90 °C 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML