Ooooh Darjeeling

Oolong Tea
Grapes, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

A rare first flush oolong tea from the Darjeeling region of India. While it is fairly uncommon for an Indian garden to produce anything other than black tea, the growers at the Gopaldhara estate have produced this exquisite exception. Steeped in a quality that rivals its Taiwanese and Chinese competitors, the Ooooh Darjeeling is sure to produce both ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaahs.’

$13/2 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

Definitely interesting. I’ve never had a Darjeeling before so this was quite the surprise. This very much has a flavor combo of an Oolong and black tea. Not a huge fan of it, but definitely something I’ll have another cup of if I’m in the mood for the innocent-like flavor of an Oolong mixed with a background flavor of a chinese tea.
Cofftea

MY FAVORITE OOLONG! I can get a ton of infusions out of it too.

This was very disappointing. It had a very flat and mundane taste, with no character or personality. Will try again to see if I missed something, but I was very unimpressed.

This is my 10th Darjeeling I’ve drank in this lifetime, and it is by far the most tasty one.

Each steeping alters flavor subtly. Watching the leaves unfurl in a clear teavana 16 oz steep cup is pleasant.

The flavor is pronounced with no astringency to battle through, the smell is very nice. I would recommend this tea to someone who is not a oolong drinker, but wants something other than a green or black tea. It is good without anything added; drink it neat!

Compared to recommended steeping instructions, I’m using a ton of tea and very short steeps in a gaiwan instead of a more western-style approach. In general I’m adding just enough recently-boiled water to cover the leaves and pouring it out as soon as I can manage.
steep 1 – Leafy, fresh, sweet, a little astringent.
steep 2 – smell is very deep and woody, astringency overwhelms any flavor at first but some sweet notes as my mouth adapts. Will try to be quicker with future steeps.
steep 3 – I can’t imagine steeping much more quickly, but the astringency is still fairly overpowering. There is, however, a hint of a pleasant aftertaste coming along that I hope will express itself more fully soon.
steep 4 – The aroma is really coming along but it’s still promising more than it can deliver in flavor. There’s definitely a hint of deliciousness that hits the palate briefly but it is quickly overcome by the more bitter chlorophylly flavor that the initial astringency has morphed into.
steep 5 – same as 4 but less bitter, equally flavorful
steep 6 – astringency is gone; there’s a fleeting fruity flavor on top of the steady woodsy leafy notes that’ve been around for awhile; will extend steep time from here.
steep 7 – finally it’s not unpleasant in any way. this cup is decent.

Unfortunately I need to stop for now. I don’t recommend brewing this tea like I did.

Reminds me a lot of a black tea… The Ooooh Darjeeling has some hints of astringency, but it’s not so in-your-face like with many black teas. It has a malty and slightly fruity flavor which is similar to an earl grey. I think it would probably make a good breakfast tea if you are looking to try something different.

Given that it was an oolong I treated it like a Chinese/Taiwan Oolong and gaiwan brewed it. Contains the familiar grape and dried fruit floral notes that one would expect to find in a first flush Darjeeling black tea of quality. While I really enjoy it, it has gotten me thinking about how much different brewing a Darjeeling black tea in a gaiwan would be from what I am brewing now from the many observations of others about first flush Darjeeling black teas being a more oolong like black tea. Regardless it stands out as a nice tea that is a very enjoyable change from what I normally drink although I highly doubt it will become a staple tea for me.

My first venture into Oolong, and I was pleasantly surprised. Very smooth taste which made drinking it an enjoyable experience.

received this as part of the savant oolong sampler, and while its not bad by any means, I’ve had much better oolongs. Its a little too strong/sharp for some of its taste, maybe even a bit bitter? Doesn’t really hold a candle against their oolong #18. Still a good tea, but I wouldn’t buy it again.

Holy Crap!
Truly something enticing. Really had that unique and characteristic Darjeeling smell and taste, but with the nuance and beauty of Oolong. I was expecting a mediocre, amateur Oolong, but this really added a new facet to my favorite type of tea.

I’m impressed – astonished even.

Let’s hope the plantations of Darjeeling starting hitting the docks with first-flush Oolongs in the near future.

Every so often I’ll dive into a cuppa tea without reading into what I’m drinking, and I’ll make some pretty rash assumptions. This happened recently when I was brewing myself a cup of Adagio’s Ooooh Darjeeling. (Did I type all the “O”s?) During my first few brews of Ooooh Darjeeling, I thought to myself “Wow, this is a really nice black tea”. It wasn’t until I read the back of the bag that I realized it was actually oolong tea and not black tea.

A foolish mistake, and yet an easy one to make since Darjeeling tea is usually sold/marketed as black tea. Sometimes I’m such a noob when it comes to tea.

The scent of the leaves is delicate to me– slightly sweet and earthy, but I didn’t really taste either of these once brewed. Ooooh Darjeeling is unlike any oolong tea I’ve had. It doesn’t have that earthy aroma like most oolong teas I have tried. Instead, it tasted more like a black tea but not as strong and without much of the astringency (hence why I jumped to the conclusion that this was a black tea). Ooooh Darjeeling had a subtle floral aroma that I found to be delightful. I think there was supposed to be some fruity aromas as well, but I did not pick up on those.

This tea tastes great both unsweetened and sweet. While I haven’t tried it, I think Ooooh Darjeeling would make a nice iced tea if rock sugar were added (or whatever your sweetener of choice is).

Bottom Line, I really enjoyed this tea! It’s not a breakfast brew for me since I prefer bolder tastes in the morning. But, it’s the perfect cup to enjoy while reading books on a sunny afternoon.