Formosa Ali Shan

Oolong Tea
Butter, Earth, Floral
Edit tea info Last updated by Ilya Kreymerman

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. When Portuguese explorers 1st discovered Taiwan they gave it the name Formosa, or “Beautiful Island” The oolong teas grown here continue to be called by this name. The exquisite bouquet of Formosa Oolong teas is reguarded to be the finest in the world. This exeptional lightly oxidized tea comes from Taiwan’s Ali Mountain and compares favorably to the best Tung Tings. The aroma rising from the wet leaves is bright and brisk with incredible high notes that awaken the palate. The flavor of the warm, golden-green liquor is softly sweet and floral, lingering on the tongue like the sensory memory of lilac, lemongrass, and sunshine. 3g/8oz 185 degree F water for 3-5min. Good for multiple infusions.

About Adagio Teas View company

Alright, so I’m still sick so I’m not sure how well this will taste to me regardless. From what I can smell it smells slightly buttery with a little hint of wet grass on a warm summer morning. I kind of like this smell, it’s somewhat relaxing. Has kind of a heavy taste in the mouth and tastes kind of like butter salad. That sounds nasty to me but it really doesn’t taste that bad. There is also another taste in there but I can’t quit put my finger on it. I like it but I don’t love it, if only it felt lighter.

I hold out hope that I can make this tea sparkle but so far this one has only been okay for me. I followed Adagio’s directions (thinking that tea-specific directions they seem to give for the Master’s Collection might be there for a reason but apparently not) and it just made it meh. (Next time I’ll do it my way, with more leaf and a more gong fu style brewing, and see what happens.)

Anyway, I will say that it did have a nice buttery aftertaste but that’s all it has going for it. It wasn’t all that nuanced, it tasted a little flat and the initial flavor of the sip was almost sort of metallic. Even the husband, who pretty much gives any green oolong two enthusiastic thumbs up, said that this was nothing special.

Alright, Adagio. I was all for the Master’s Collection because of Yunnan Golden Curls and Anhui Keemun but you gotta do better than this with the oolongs.

Not bad, found this to be vegetal, slightly sweet, and refreshing. Tasty!

The two words that fit it best are: clean and balanced. Both adjectives are high on my list of descriptors I want for tea. It is ever so slightly oxidized taking away the vegetal, green tea taste that sometimes overpowers oolongs. The sweetness counterbalances the remaining bitterness. Floral notes add a little complexity and are (thankfully) very natural and slight.

This tea is part of Adagio’s “Masters” series. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by these teas. Although, I haven’t found one that has astounded me, they easily compete with teas from more boutiquey tea houses.

smooth taste, a bit pricy….

The Nose and Color: Smells like Adagio’s Ti Kuan Yin except more happy if that makes sense. Not exactly floral but still a very soothing smell. The color is a beautiful light green with a slight golden hue.

Tasting: Very subtle flavor
-sweet honey
-a little lemongrass
-gorgeous finish on my palate
- very calming tea. could see this being a perfect tea to help wake you up in the morning
-surprising complexity

Full Review Here: http://www.indieteas.com/home/2010/4/7/tea-review-13-adagios-formosa-ali-shan.html

Clean . No one taste over powers the other. Smells wonderful. Tea leaves after brewed are beautiful . Awesome to watch the leaves unfold.

Flavors: Butter, Earth, Floral