Anhui Keemun

Bitter, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt, Pepper, Smoke, Baked Bread, Leather, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Blodeuyn

• “I'm in awe of this tea. It's smells like dark leather, horses, tobacco. It's buttery smooth, sexy, strong. The difference between this tea and cheaper teas in my opinion is that you need just a...” Read full tasting note
    inguna 336 tasting notes
  • “*Auggy* sent me this one, and I've been putting off trying it. I was warned that it was a pretty expensive tea and I then made the mistake of looking up the price. NEVER DO THAT! Following that...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1292 tasting notes
  • “I’ve got lots and lots of new teas to try (my cupboard went from 87 to 123 in just two days – I might have made a few tea orders… just maybe) and I’ve set aside today to do nothing but relax, rest...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “HAPPY NANOWRIMO, WRIMOS! Are any of you participating, this year? Are any of you ALREADY pulling your hair out? _I am!_ Seriously, why did I wait until the last second to come up with a...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Anhui region of China. Keemun tea, perhaps the most famous of Chinese varieties, is prioritized for its rich chocolate-like flavor and sumptuous aroma. This Keemun is a hand-made, limited production “superior mao feng” grade tea. The dry leaf offers aromas of dark chocolate, fresh ground pepper, and molasses, and thse aromas translate perfectly to bold flavors in the cup. The rich, reddish brown liquor has a very soft, yet lingering, smokey finish that will appeal to the discerning palate. 3g/8oz boiling water for 3-5min. Good for multiple infusions.

About Adagio Teas View company

I’ve had this tea for a while. I purchases it very early on in my teas adventures when I was still trying out new varieties.
I can only appreciate it now. The dried leaves smell like earth..and I can smell grassy hay. a richness..some kind of herbal nuttiness and yes, chocolate.
It brews a dark and smooth. I kinda reminds me of an English Breakfast, but less complicated. This is a black for people who like coffee without any milk or sugar. I think it would be a great transition.
I’m happy that I’ve trained my palate to enjoy this

One of the best keemun’s I’ve had. Balances both the smokey and chocolate. The smell is more cocoa and the first taste is actually a smokey leatherness, almost tobacco. It then ends with a cocoa almost molasses aftertaste. Very nice keemun.

Smooth and lightly smoky. Not very dry compared to most other Keemuns. The second steep is still smooth and almost like a slightly smoky dark oolong.

Swapped a teaspoon of each tea from Adagio’s Masters Sampler #1 for a friend’s Sampler #2. This is my first of those that I’ve tried.

The leaves themselves are dark and short, almost like chocolate sprinkles or a black rooibos. Scent of the leaves is very leathery and smoky.

Liquor tastes less leathery but more smoky compared to the scent of the leaves. Notes of pepper, dark chocolate, and malt coming through mid-cup. The liquor achieves all these tastes while still keeping it light — an impressive feat, considering all of the rich flavors in here. Delicious. Probably couldn’t be an every-day black for me like Irish Breakfast, but it might be one of the best blacks I’ve had.

The leaves are so cute, thin, small, and black with random brown spots all about. It brewed up well. Tastes smooth with a touch of smokiness. I felt the flavors were perfectly balanced and not at all bitter. I will continue to drink this one time and time again.

Dry leaf aroma: Cocoa and malt, with subtle dark fruit notes.
Dry leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/skt-BhlcEs/

Wet leaf aroma: Slightly smoky.
Wet leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/skyyn2FcLx/

Preparation: Brewed western style in a ceramic infuser mug.

First steeping: 5 minutes at 210 degrees. Such a delightful mixtures of aromas – cocoa, malt, dark fruit, and a subtle smoky undertone. At first the smokiness scared me after my previous smoky Keemun experience, but this is a sweeter, more subtle smokiness, not a raw in-your-face smoky. The taste is just as complex as the aroma with notes of cocoa, malt, smokiness, prunes, and something I can only identify as a biting spiciness (pepper?). The aftertaste is slightly bitter with a lingering tartness. After the cup has cooled I notice a breadiness to the flavor and the smokiness is weaker.

It is somewhat odd to me that this tea hasn’t been reviewed in 3 years. C’est la vie! I did a second stepping but was so stuffed up after my husband mowed the lawn that I don’t trust my nose or taste buds to accurately post notes about it. It was good though! I keep calling this tea sultry, it seems to fit.

I am still amazed at how much the same general style of tea can vary. I think this is part of my attraction and I certainly enjoy the discovery of each variation!

Flavors: Bitter, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt, Pepper, Smoke