Yunnan Golden Curls

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Its luscious, soft, curly, leaves, and a unique peppery taste easily identify Yunnan tea. This is an exceptional quality tea comprised exclusively of soft, golden-leaf buds with an unusual curled shape. The dry leaf yields aromas of roasted peppers and sweet, wet hay. As the tea steeps, the hay fades into the background in favor of aromas of warm toffee and leather. As the liquor cools, the body of this tea seems to fill out and finish with notes of sweet potatoes and of course the characteristic pepper that makes Yunnans so distinctive. 3g/8oz boiling water for 3-5min. Good for multiple infusions.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

I think that this tea is too high in price, for the quality of the tea.

Gave this tea a try today. Really nice Yunnan Gold. I definitely preferred it to the Yunnan Jig. I remember that early on I loved Adagio’s Yunnan Gold but my last order or two was a bit disappointing. This Yunnan Golden Curls reminds me of the OLD Yunnan Gold. I must say, though, that I don’t think I’d pay $29 for 3 ounces.

A brilliant selection, with velvety complexity which is well worth the price. The golden oxidized tea buds are beautiful to look at. Brewed, golden-orange in color, fading to sunglow nearing the edges. Intense aromas of malt and wood with notes of orange zest and almond. Very silky and creamy with a dynamic palate that ranges from sweet potato and raisins to honey, coco and almonds finishing very sweet and long with balanced flint-like mineral acidity and very slight astringency. The honey notes increased as the tea cools, which added to the progressive experience. One of the best teas I have had in a while.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 2 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Guys guess what? – Adagio has lowered its international shipping charges – which means that after several years, I can buy from them again!

This is quite a neat looking tea – the leaves really do look like tight curls. I’ve often heard Yunnan teas described as ‘peppery’ but I think that this is the first time I’ve actually been able to taste what they’re taking about; it doesn’t bite the tongue like pepper does but there’s a spiciness in the back of the mouth at the end of each sip. There’s also a tannin flavour that I’m more familiar with in this tea type, though in this case it’s quite smooth unlike some teas where there’s almost a cigarette-like tone to them (bleh). This tea on the other hand is more like leather with a faint hint of cocoa-like bitterness in there.

I look forward to trying more teas in Adagio’s Master collection especially – they’ve added quite a few new ones since I last purchased from them.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Oh no. Lower shipping charges. MUST. NOT. VISIT. THEIR. SITE.

As I was digging through some of my stash, I came across a sampling of this tea. It’s one that is no longer available through Adagio … I’m not sure if that’s because it’s been discontinued or if it’s because it’s temporarily sold out.

It’s a good golden Yunnan. Peppery but with a lovely sweet undertone of caramel. This is one of the best black teas that I’ve tried from Adagio.

Since it’s not currently available and I’m unsure of the age of the sampling that I have, I’m not going to rate it.