Pouchong

Oolong Tea
Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Note: don't eat some kimchi right before you taste tea. It takes awhile to actually taste the tea! Ok, and now about 10 minutes later... This has a very faint floral scent and a nice buttery...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “It's a very light mossy smell this time. Infusion 3. 10 mins. The leaves are finally fully expanded. The taste is wonderful. Sweet. Could prob do more infusions but I think I am going to move...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “My 1st pouchong! While I've wanted to try this I wasn't intenting to get it yet, but I really wanted to try the superior jasmine pearls (a once in a life time chance most likely), so I decided to...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “I changed my rating I love this tea so much! I can't get enough of it, I want to bathe in this stuff. Going on my FIFTH steep today of the same leaves. Holy Hojicha! That's a lot of Pouchong!...” Read full tasting note
    Chiyox 26 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Dutch explorers called this island. The oolong teas grown here continue to be called as such. The least processed of these are termed pouchong. The ‘Opus Pouchong’ is a lightly oxidized tea with large, wavy, dark-green leaves. It is arguably the most delicate tea produced in Taiwan, a country known for its share of delicate teas. It yields a light cup with delicate fragrance and a gentle, precociously sweet taste. An underrated tea we urge you not to overlook.

About Adagio Teas View company

I liked this much more than I thought I would when I first saw the results of my first steeping. It’s a very pale yellow, almost colorless, and pouchongs are known to be on the greener side of oolong. I haven’t cared for the green teas I’ve tried, and found the Tung Ting Oolong I tried too reminiscent of the vegetal taste I dislike in greens. This had a floral note that wasn’t perfumey, a buttery taste, that mitigated the hint of a vegetal taste into a delicate sweetness I really enjoyed. The second steeping had a more mineral taste I associate with oolong, but not in a bad way.

Brewed gongfu style in my oolong pot. This pouchong is light and sweet but unlike the charcoal roasted pouchong that I’ve had before it is a bit more floral and less smooth. Still an enjoyable tea but personally I lean a bit more toward the charcoal roasted variety.

This was a pretty good oolong. It reminded me of a green tea, but with some of the vegetal flavor replaced by a delicate sweet taste. It is definitely a subtle oolong—it didn’t knock my socks off when I first tried it, but it grew on me. It is a nice tea to sip on while working since it isn’t so strong that it is distracting.

If you like a flowery taste, then you will enjoy this tea. It was too overwhelming for me in terms of its flowery taste.

Flavors: Flowers

I was kind of indifferent to this one. It has a pleasant flavor, but nothing that really struck me as amazing.

Backlogging from a few months ago. I love the smell of this tea, but it’s not a favorite. It’s an interesting tea, though. Like sort of a green tea/oolong hybrid.

Sublime! This is the palest yellow-green in the cup, smells and tastes of white rice, honey, and flowers. Light and nectar-like. I may have to make a permanent spot in my life for this or another pouchong.

In the pouch: Herbal, almost floral. I had to look at the label to make sure I hadn’t picked up the pouch of green tea instead.

Steeping: Smells like roasted rice. It’s not unpleasant at all, but it’s more of a cereal smell than an herbal smell.

This probably needs a longer steep time than the recommended 2-3 minutes on the label. I was afraid to oversteep it and make it bitter, so I gave it about three minutes. The liquid is transparent. Tastes like hot water lightly infused with roasted rice. I’m going to try a second steep for a longer steep time. Surely there is more to this tea than this.

Second steep: Still smells like toasted rice, but now tastes like spinach.

One needs to be quite generous when it comes to portioning here. The tea has a good nose.Hints of rose blossoms or hibiscus are pushing through…although they are very shy and fade away quickly.
It will require a couple of trial runs until a deceant cup is produced with this particular kind of leafs.The steeping time can be longer then on a usual Oolong.

I personally overportion the tea now and then balance the flavor by adding hot/cold water.As one would do it when working with a Samowar…

It’s odd. I picked up the tin of this tea thinking it would be full and found it nearly half gone. Thinking on this, I realize that pouchong is always the first tea to be emptied out of my stash, closely followed by wuyi ensemble. There’s something about this tea that makes it vanish into thin air. On the first sip, it has a very lovely, classic oolong taste to it, but with my vague cold, after the first few sips, it just taste like warm tea that will heal my throat. Either way, I’m enjoying it, and I guess if it’s the first to go, I should order more of it next time.