Pouchong

Oolong Tea
Caramel, Floral, Green, Vegetal, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Dutch explorers called this island. The oolong teas grown here continue to be called as such. The least processed of these are termed pouchong. The ‘Opus Pouchong’ is a lightly oxidized tea with large, wavy, dark-green leaves. It is arguably the most delicate tea produced in Taiwan, a country known for its share of delicate teas. It yields a light cup with delicate fragrance and a gentle, precociously sweet taste. An underrated tea we urge you not to overlook.

About Adagio Teas View company

Backlogging from a few months ago. I love the smell of this tea, but it’s not a favorite. It’s an interesting tea, though. Like sort of a green tea/oolong hybrid.

Sublime! This is the palest yellow-green in the cup, smells and tastes of white rice, honey, and flowers. Light and nectar-like. I may have to make a permanent spot in my life for this or another pouchong.

In the pouch: Herbal, almost floral. I had to look at the label to make sure I hadn’t picked up the pouch of green tea instead.

Steeping: Smells like roasted rice. It’s not unpleasant at all, but it’s more of a cereal smell than an herbal smell.

This probably needs a longer steep time than the recommended 2-3 minutes on the label. I was afraid to oversteep it and make it bitter, so I gave it about three minutes. The liquid is transparent. Tastes like hot water lightly infused with roasted rice. I’m going to try a second steep for a longer steep time. Surely there is more to this tea than this.

Second steep: Still smells like toasted rice, but now tastes like spinach.

One needs to be quite generous when it comes to portioning here. The tea has a good nose.Hints of rose blossoms or hibiscus are pushing through…although they are very shy and fade away quickly.
It will require a couple of trial runs until a deceant cup is produced with this particular kind of leafs.The steeping time can be longer then on a usual Oolong.

I personally overportion the tea now and then balance the flavor by adding hot/cold water.As one would do it when working with a Samowar…

It’s odd. I picked up the tin of this tea thinking it would be full and found it nearly half gone. Thinking on this, I realize that pouchong is always the first tea to be emptied out of my stash, closely followed by wuyi ensemble. There’s something about this tea that makes it vanish into thin air. On the first sip, it has a very lovely, classic oolong taste to it, but with my vague cold, after the first few sips, it just taste like warm tea that will heal my throat. Either way, I’m enjoying it, and I guess if it’s the first to go, I should order more of it next time.

With a hint of spearmint. Pretty good

Re-steeped from yesterday.