Ti Kuan Yin

Oolong Tea
Nutty, Orchids
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

• “My 1st Ti Kuan Yin! I’ve seen lots of amazing tasting notes about Samovar’s version(Monkey Picked Iron Goddess of Mercy), but I wasn’t sure how big the sample size is and I have a...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “This is a lovely Oolong, sweet, pleasing orchid notes which are quite delicate at first, but reveal themselves more with the infusions that follow. I’m currently on my fourth infusion, and...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “Well, I was going to plow through the black tea sampler first, but I decided that I wanted to try something else instead. (I did actually drink a cup of yunnan jig this morning, but I...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes
  • “I have had this before and loved it. This love has continued to this batch as well. I would love to note more about this but I don’t have time. Gotta love Tech week, moving, and school all at...” Read full tasting note
    knifeblood102 98 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from the Fujian province of China. In Mandarin, Ti Kuan Yin means ‘iron goddess of mercy,’ a name derived from local legend. This tea is arguably the finest of Chinese oolongs, with competition-grade varieties selling for thousand of dollars a pound.

$24/4 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

Brewed gongfu style in a gaiwan, 3g to ~4fl oz
Dry leaves are shades of green with a touch of brown here and there, some rolled loosely into little balls, others into twisted various elongated shapes. The smell is of dried flowers (but not overly floral)and cut grass.

Brewed: color is pale golden-toned green, fading to yellow with a few steeps. The scent is spring-y, orchid and cut leaves with almond undertones.

First brews are bright and a little grassy, just a touch of nutty and mineral with a bit of astringency, with later brews taking on more of a fresh blossom & fruity taste (for me it was like the tangy bite in the aftertaste of dark chocolate.) It brewed a thicker mouthfeel, less like broth, more like a juice.

The wet leaves expanded beautifully, retaining the shades of green, smelling of roasted potato skins (not the starchy meat, just the minerally-rooty outer flesh), so I understand the potato comment by sophistre.

A very pleasant fresh-tasting tea!

Brad – good but not the best tgy. I would buy again.
Sarah – meh, not worth getting again.

I like clean, complex oolongs like this one. It tasted like a white tea a times and then it grew into this complex, slightly sweet oolong as I continued to drink the cup. Really complex flavors, each sip a little different than the last. Overall, had a hay type of scent and really pleasantly sweet aftertaste that was surprising. I will definitely drink this again.

Nice. Lightly oxidized, rich green color. Preferred to most oolongs. good for many infusions.

Decent green oolong, my sample is fairly old, but it’s still drinkable

My favorite out of the oolong sampler which has become an afternoon staple. A smooth oolong of moderate strength taste with floral notes. A great alternative for the green tea drinker.

This is a somewhat standard Ti Kuan Yin oolong – slightly floral, but still hints at that ‘woody’ oolong taste that you find in darker oolongs like Wu Yi. The floral elements in Adagio’s Ti Kuan Yin aren’t as present as I would like them to be, however. Additionally, they seem ‘simple’ somehow. This would be a good casual oolong. And perhaps the flavors could be brought out more with different steeping parameters.

AMAZING taste, hard to describe. In Mandarin, Ti Kuan Yin means ‘iron goddess of mercy,’ Thick, leafy balls of this oolong leaf tea just make it look like you’ll enjoy it. Has a very light and smooth flavor that I find really works well for an easy wake-up. This really zings when you add White Peach to it. I bought it as part of the Roots Campaign on Adiago = http://www.adagio.com/roots_campaign/wang_mei_rui.html?SID=ab73d2d6e173dae15bbc9d04ddffcc41

Too much on the green side to me

This is a really good, mild oolong tea…