Wuyi Ensemble

Oolong Tea
Ash, Char, Grapes, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Jacob

• “This is for the sachet version of this tea, two people sent me one each and now I don’t even know who! After trying a red robe oolong and absolutely hating all that was going on with it, I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1220 tasting notes
  • “I’ve been on a black tea kick as of late, so I thought I’ve give one of my past favorite oolongs a try. I still like it, but after getting caught up in office mumbo jumbo, my cup was...” Read full tasting note
    LFINCH 161 tasting notes
  • “This one courtesy of Tea Sipper’s traveling tea box!! I love dark oolongs, which makes it mysterious as to why it’s taken me weeks (months?) to try this! Picture me slapping my own...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Dry Smell: Plum, Sugar, Milk Chocolate, and a hint of Smokieness. Wet Smell: Vegetable and Mineral. Tastes just how the wet leaves smelled. It was nice and I shared a bit of it with a friend and...” Read full tasting note
    knifeblood102 98 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from the Wuyi mountains in the Fujian province of China. Wuyi Oolong grows defiantly in the gaps of the mountainous rock, rendering cultivation both arduous and spell-bindingly beautiful. This tea is famous for its ’dragonfly’s head, frog’s limbs and three colors.’ The latter refers to the green, red and brown colors found in the cross-section of each leaf. Similar to other fine oolong teas, the ‘Wuyi Ensemble’ may be infused a number of times, with each infusion revealing a new nuance of this tea’s complex flavor.

$10/1.5 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

I’m finding there is definitely a “first taste” bias, among tea tastings. It’s probably the case for everyone: most teas taste best when you tried it the first time. This applies to food as well.

From the look of the leaves, I expected it to taste like Lapsang Souchong, but it was nothing like. I was surprised how similar this one was to Tie Guan Yin. Hard to say how it is similar/different. Seems more nuanced and complex flavors than TGY. Less “refreshing” than TGY. Isn’t as overpowering with the caffeine as TGY. Definitely an Oolong. More on the green side than black in terms of taste and color of liquid.

Flavors: Grapes, Grass

It’s a decent, solid oolong. Nothing mind blowing. Probably will not be reordering this.

What an interesting contrast to the White Peony (also from Adagio) I finished earlier. I’m snowed in here in the Great Lakes, so I thought I’d taste through some of my Adagio shipment. Where that had all the delicate hints of floral, melon, nectar and vegetable, this one has all kinds of subtle mineral, roots, fruit, and smoke. Come to think of it, the Irish Breakfast from this morning was malty, citrus and toasty… I may have just developed my first tea flight… just need to find a grassy green I like…

Back to this one. I think when people were saying oolongs taste like “mineral” I was originally expecting something more “metallic.” So it’s taken me a few different brews of different teas to parse out the flavors. By the third infusion, this one had lost a lot of that mineral flavor, and vegetable smells and flavors came out more with a bit more toasted rice smell and flavor. I don’t know that I’d say I “like” it. But I don’t “dislike” it either. These oolongs are just so different than anything I’ve had.

I can’t help but compare/contrast this to the Ceylon and Assams I tried yesterday. This is just so different than the “bold” flavors in those. But not “delicate” flavor either. But not “earthy, mushroom” of the pu-erh either. So many different flavors… And I haven’t even delved into actually FLAVORED teas yet. How do you pick?

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 8 OZ / 240 ML

Delicious, nutty, and warm. I prefer it hot, as the flavors are a bit deeper than if it were iced.

I use this tea for gungfu tea drinking, usually a tablespoon in my Yixing clay pot for one minute, starting at about 200 F and going to a full roiling boil by the third or fourth steep. It’s all peaches and perfume with a hint of smoke and wood, and a complete lovely complex of scents and flavors, I only drink this when I can really concentrate on the tea.

Brad – too roasted and earthy
Sarah – agrees

Again just adding a tasting note for the newbie tea palate. I thought this one tasted like the lapsang suchong of the oolong world. Very smokey. No rating from me as I am not an expert, and I will try this one again at a later time. I hope to grow up a little in my tea tastes one day, but am loving the adventure and variety available.

Earthy, raw but smooth taste. Light orange in colour and pretty smooth.

Copper appearance on first steep. Strong smell, smells like burnt wood/leaves. Full bodied taste, very earthy. Definitely a tea you have to be in the mood for. But very good when you are

First sip on first cup: hint of strong sweet rapidly followed by heavy wheat earthy notes. The sweet note won’t appear again until you take a break from drinking it. I found this to be surprising. The grain/earth is persistent and strong. Almost overbearing but stops just short.

It is a typical oolong experience. Enjoying it as an evening tea