Wuyi Ensemble

Oolong Tea
Ash
Edit tea info Last updated by Jacob B

• “This is for the sachet version of this tea, two people sent me one each and now I don't even know who! After trying a red robe oolong and absolutely hating all that was going on with it, I don't...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “I've been on a black tea kick as of late, so I thought I've give one of my past favorite oolongs a try. I still like it, but after getting caught up in office mumbo jumbo, my cup was cold and...” Read full tasting note
    LFINCH 161 tasting notes
  • “This one courtesy of Tea Sipper's traveling tea box!! I love dark oolongs, which makes it mysterious as to why it's taken me weeks (months?) to try this! Picture me slapping my own hand! The...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Dry Smell: Plum, Sugar, Milk Chocolate, and a hint of Smokieness. Wet Smell: Vegetable and Mineral. Tastes just how the wet leaves smelled. It was nice and I shared a bit of it with a friend...” Read full tasting note
    knifeblood102 98 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from the Wuyi mountains in the Fujian province of China. Wuyi Oolong grows defiantly in the gaps of the mountainous rock, rendering cultivation both arduous and spell-bindingly beautiful. This tea is famous for its ’dragonfly’s head, frog’s limbs and three colors.’ The latter refers to the green, red and brown colors found in the cross-section of each leaf. Similar to other fine oolong teas, the ‘Wuyi Ensemble’ may be infused a number of times, with each infusion revealing a new nuance of this tea’s complex flavor.

$10/1.5 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

Not sure why I hadn’t tried this one—the sampler is right there, waiting!—but now I am. Oolongs seem to be true treats for me in a way few other kinds are. Perfect after my first day back in classes.

This one is very complex, very interesting. It seems to change with every sip! It’s definitely smooth and just a touch sweet, but there’s also a slight roasted or maybe even malty flavor. The overall effect is a good, rounded cup of tea. I’ll have to resteep a few times and see what else happens with the flavors!

Nice, although I think I need to switch to decaf now…

This tea is definitely one of my favorites from Adagio. It was also my first WuYi oolong. Might I say, what a pleasant experience!

I got 2-3 good cups out of this stuff, which is good for the price IMO. The first and second cup yielded that mineral, rocky flavor with some sort of fruitiness. I can’t quite put my finger on it — perhaps lychee? Anyway, the fruitiness was somewhat prominent and added to the complexity. There was also a nice, lingering aftertaste.

The second cup didn’t quite have as prominent of a fruitiness, but a lot of sweetness came out paired with the rocky taste. On the third cup, things started to quiet down as a whole.

Interestingly, I used about 2 tsp. / 8 oz. of water, and my first two steepings were at 1 minute each. I wonder if I should have steeped them for longer? Oh well, only time will tell when I obtain more.

All in all, this tea is very refreshing, in the sense of its unique flavor and just how the aftertaste coats your throat. While I want to explore more WuYis, I don’t want to stray too far from this one!

In the pouch: Not as much smell as some of the other teas. Almost an odd, plastic odor that I have to blame on the packaging, actually, so not much from the tea so far.

Steeping: Nutty, smoky scent that gets stronger.

Drinking: Light and nutty with a faint smokiness. This is actually my favorite non-flavored oolong so far from this box of samples. I think I’ll be doing at least one more steep, and there might be a tin of this in my future.

Not one of my favorites from Adagio’s oolong lineup. It is a fairly balanced oolong, but I tend to prefer the greener lightly oxidized varieties better. Still I would say it is above-average quality.

When I first tried this tea, I was unimpressed. The woody flavor wasn’t, er, my cup of tea. One the second steeping of these leaves, however, I was very pleased to find a balanced cup of delicious tea! A few days later, I tried steeping dry leaf again, this time making sure to awaken the leaves by pouring boiling water over them and discarding this first brew. Upon drinking my tea, a bright smile spread across my face as notes of honey and pecans hit my senses. While a dash of sugar was nice, this tea is really special all on its own. Just awesome tea! Definitely one of my favorites.

My daughter thought this tea smells like rain water, my husband said it smells a little bit like chocolate and I thought it smells like hay/grass/ grains/barley. The leaves look beautiful: dark and twisted. Taste: nutty/grainy/hearty. Turns out I like Wuyi teas…
Leaving for vacation tomorrow, will be completely unplugged for a week but I will take some tea with me, that’s for sure.

A stronger wuyi oolong than the others that I’ve had before. It has a nice medium roast with a bit of a slightly smoky nutty notes to the overall earthy sweetness.

Interesting. This has a very nice color, very large leaves. Upon drinking, it has a very strange, tight mouthfeel: not smooth; astringent, but also there is something else, a brightness under the soft palate which wanes with later steepings. It has a warm flavor, very unique, which occurs nearly entirely in the back of the mouth: nutty, not sweet, not black, not green; I would almost say sour. That’s not bad though; it’s only the typical complexity of oolongs; it’s a flavor not to be simply taken, but explored. (The flavor cools and dims with later steepings, picking up more sweetness and a floral note.) It certainly has me thinking of a rainy day in the mountains.

Preparation: I’ve done it a few ways but I think I like this most recent way the best: A tablespoon and a pinch of tea per four to six ounces of water, just under boiling, for 1, 1, 2, 4, and 8 minutes.

205 °F / 96 °C

Delicious, nutty, and warm. I prefer it hot, as the flavors are a bit deeper than if it were iced.