Chocolate Chai

Black Chai Blend
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Spices, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 3 g 11 oz / 325 ml

• “Today being the cold and long day that it was, I was starting to get comfortable under some blankets watching TV while starting to fall asleep. It being barely 8pm, I decided that couldn't happen....” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “This is the fourth of six in the Adagio chai sampler. I made this on the stovetop with 1% milk, Splenda and the SpecialTeas Cream with Cocoa Pieces as the extra black tea. I think using the...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 952 tasting notes
  • “Big thanks to the lovely Darby for this - since Adagio's international shipping costs are ludicrous, a swap was the only way for me to try their stuff. I seem to be in the minority, but I really...” Read full tasting note
    rubywooscarlett 27 tasting notes
  • “*sipdown* thanks for sharing this with me terri! the last little bit of your tea. Sadly i don't get much in the way of chocolate from this but it's not a bad little chai. ” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4873 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

While the greatest chocolates may come from Switzerland, the best chocolate tea undoubtedly comes from Adagio. And we guarantee that you won’t choose to remain neutral. This decadent treat infuses the flavor of rich chocolate with the bright, full taste of Ceylon black tea. A rich sugar-free treat, delectable both hot and cold.

About Adagio Teas View company

I don’t care much for chocolate, so I can’t remember why I ended up buying a sample pack of this from Adagio, but I’m glad I did. I ended up buying a full 3oz. bag after that.

The chocolate flavor is definitely subtle, perfect for me, and so are the spices. Mostly I taste cinnamon and ginger. Overall, this brews up to be a very mellow tea but pleasantly flavorful. A nice cup for any time of the day.

I add milk and turbinado sugar to my teas, and the milk really adds some creaminess that compliments the chocolate. Reminds me of a chocolate gingerbread cookie. I always reorder this when I run out. It’s not extraordinary, but it is a comforting, smooth blend.

I was really hesitant to try this tea, since chocolate is usually a difficult flavor to get right in a drink, and the leaves have a spicy, almost cinnamon like aroma to them which brought back memories of the shock that you get when you first taste bitter baking chocolate and expect it to be like the sweet chocolate that you normally eat.

HOWEVER, I was actually (and pleasantly) surprised by how this tea came out, as the chocolate mellows out into a subtle accent, with just a hint of the bitterness coming through that does well to balance the flavor of the chai itself. The aroma does tend to be on the bitter side of the chocolate spectrum, but it’s enjoyable when mixed with the aroma of the chai, and creates a really nice, spicy note that accents the flavor.

Firstly, this tea smells wonderful out of the tin. When brewed, I do not get a ton of chocolate flavor, mostly cinnamon and clove. (I think). The spice taste could be a little stronger, but it is a very drinkable tea.

Cofftea

I was disappointed w/ the chocolate in this as well. If you like cayenne in your chai, I’d suggest 52teas’ Mayan Chocolate Chai.

J W

Thanks for the tip! I am trying out different chais, as my boyfriend is something of a chai hound.

I really enjoyed this. I tried it in a local tea room before buying, and found that I liked the chocolate note being very subtle as opposed to IN YOUR FACE sweet. The spices seem gentler than other chai blends I have in my cupboard. It is light, spicy, and sweet. Very enjoyable.

The flavour is decent, but too mild. Tastes more like chocolate than chai. I’ve been blending with my vanilla chais, and that worked rather well.

We selected this as our free sample with a recent order from Adagio.
As I added it to my Steepster “cupboard” I noted there is also an Adagio raspberry chocolate chai. I missed that one or probably have picked it (sounds delish!)

But I was pleasantly surprised by a Sat. delivery of my Adagio order. What better treat on a crisp fall day? We decided to try this one first, having not tasted it before.

That said, I’m happy I chose the the chocolate chai. It’s very yummy. It’s low key on the spice as a chai goes; I thought it worked well as the flavor profile was nice with the chocolate. It provides a nice gentle flavor with a heavenly aroma.

I’m down to just a couple more servings left of loose Chai in the house. This is it. I’m all out of Masala Chai. My feet were painfully cold just now, so I turned the AC up a few degrees so it would stop freezing me out, and brewed up some of this in my neglected IngenuiTea.

It smells nicely of chocolate, and has just a hint of it in the taste.

I made it with sugar and milk (I’m out of half & half), and whipped it with my frother to latte it up. So nice and warming on this rainy afternoon.

Sipdown!

Sipped down two teas today and got two more so numbers just stayed the same. Ahh well. I’ll get through all my sipdowns eventually! I actually decided to rearrange my teas since I just moved in and.. dude. I have so much tea. I haven’t had a lot of them and I feel terrible! Oh well. I have a couple tea boxes coming in so I’ll take small samples of a bunch of teas, and I’ll replace it with tea I have a lot of, so I can get the amount down to sipdown status or something :)

I actually have no idea if I’ve had this tea before? Like it was in my sipdown pile, but I have no idea if I just sent this tea out to a lot of people.
Nice aroma. Chocolatey and I smell that good spice :)
Ehh. It’s just okay. The black base is a bit week, or the chocolate probably toned it down a bit. It does have a nice chocolate taste, and a bit of the spice. Tastes like the cinnamon sweet potato mash that my uncles sister made for Thanksgiving last year. Reminds me a bit of that chocolate orange spice from Teavana that I tried from the Teeny Tiny Tea Box! Good, but not great.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Spices, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

So, I’m not getting too much chocolate from this… mostly just the spices from the chai. But either way, it’s quite good, but I don’t think I’d get this one again. It’s a nice mild chai, but I think I prefer the boldness of something stronger.

EDIT: My second steeping was really good too!! I’m quite happy with it. Maybe I would get this one again… haha

This was one of the first teas I ever tried and two years later, here I am finally finishing my sample. My opinion is the same as it was back then. As a chai, it’s delicious and I really enjoy it. As something chocolate, it’s a massive disappointment. It tastes good, especially considering I’m drinking it like a regular tea and not like your typical chai with milk, but when something says chocolate I want chocolate. It’s hard to rate as a result; it’s good, but I’d like it so much better if the label didn’t say chocolate.