Thai Chai

Black Chai Herbal Blend
Lemongrass, Spices, Astringent, Coconut, Lemon, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Ginger, Chicken Soup, Cloves, Lemon Zest, Plants
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 343 ml

From Adagio Teas

Silky sweet coconut and playful bright lemongrass highlight this seductive black tea chai blend. Let the aroma draw you in and you’ll swear you hear it beckoning…come closer, just take a sip.

We suggest two heaping teaspoons per 6 oz up, boiling water for 5 minutes, Sugar, cream or coconut milk if desired.

About Adagio Teas View company

To start, this is not my favorite chai, it’s really good, just wish it was stronger. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Tasting notes:
1.) Very sweet, you definitely taste the coconut.
2.) Has a good black tea undertone.
3.) Spices could be a bit more present.

How I brewed it:
Steeped at 212° for 5 minutes

I am huge fan of Chai, so I am always on the look out for new variations and I when I saw this one from Adagio I had to try it. you can taste all the flavours of their traditional Chai but then you get the lemongrass which works really with the rest of the flavours.

Amazing blend! The ingredients all perfectly combine with eachother. Warm and comforting with a lovely exotic smell that somehow reminds me of Thai food – must be the spices :)

Reminds me of a Thai iced tea. Nice and spicy, reminiscent of Thai-style curries, but plays well with sugar and milk. I was pleased that the cinnamon wasn’t too strong!

This tea tastes a million times better with a bit of milk and sugar, but I don’t have any here at work and it’s still an enjoyable morning cup. The slight spiciness, especially the ginger, is a nice way to wake your brain up. But the lemongrass and coconut give it a lightness to the flavor. Chai normally makes me think of fall and winter, but I don’t mind drinking this one on a nice spring day.

One thing that I find frustrating is how much loose tea you have to use to get an acceptable flavor. It also doesn’t have the best re-steep value. For these reasons, even though I enjoy it, I don’t know if I’d buy this blend again.

Finishing off the chai sampler pack. First off, there’s a reason this one is the last little chai packet from Adagio to disappear off the shelf. And that reason is: soap.

When I first tried this, months ago, I couldn’t get over how soapy this tea was. I knew it was the lemongrass. Even though I like lemongrass, and drink it in other herbal teas, something about it here just screams SOAP! in my mouth and in my nose. Naturally I wasn’t eager to go for that second cup.

Fast forward some time. I’ve gone through the rest of my open chai teas and this one is still sitting there. Waiting. I read reviews online and bite the bullet. It still smells and tastes of soap, but not to the crazy levels it had before. I added a healthy amount of milk to my cup, and that calms the lemongrass/soap flavor down into manageable levels. I’m not typically one for milk or sweetener, but I’d say milk and honey are a must for this tea. It was much better after their addition.

The underlying taste of the tea is different from other Adagio chais I’ve tried. There are no cloves here, making it a nice change of pace. Not a tea I would reach for first. The rating reflects a “well, it was way better with milk” attitude.

I love coconut and chai. These together are delish! I added a little coconut milk and its even better. I will definitly search out more chai blends with coconut. Really good combo!

Great blend of coconut and spices.

I didn’t taste the spiciness that I associate with chai tea, which was sort of a bummer for me. I’m a huge fan of masala chai, so I’m really used to heavy cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom. This tea is lighter, and the flavor of the lemongrass and coconut pop more than the spices.

That aside, this is a really great tea, and I think the only chai I prefer without milk and sugar.

Wow this has to be the best Chai tea that I have ever had. Personally I’ve never really liked Masala styel Chai as it always seemed too spicy to me. This Thai Chai has a much lighter and smoother taste to it which is wonderful plain. The lemongrass and coconut adds enough sweetness and creamy smoothness to make the tea able to stand on its own which I find to be quite rare among flavored teas to which generally demand sugar to be added in order for the flavor to taste right. For the second half of the cup I did an experiment and added some of the rock sugar sample that I had to the tea and I think the added sugar actually hindered more than improved the taste of the tea as it dulled the edges of the spices that were in the tea a bit too much to the point that I don’t even want to find out what a splash of milk would do to the tea.