Thai Chai

Black Chai Herbal Blend
Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coconut, Ginger, Chicken Soup, Cloves, Lemon Zest, Plants
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Silky sweet coconut and playful bright lemongrass highlight this seductive black tea chai blend. Let the aroma draw you in and you’ll swear you hear it beckoning…come closer, just take a sip.

We suggest two heaping teaspoons per 6 oz up, boiling water for 5 minutes, Sugar, cream or coconut milk if desired.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

What this isn’t: a traditional chai. The spices are great, but they are a completely different blend from a typical masala chai. The coconut and lemongrass lack the body typically associated with a good chai, and it won’t really warm you up that much. I have yet to try this with milk and sugar though, so I might be wrong.

What this is: delicious. This reminds me so much of Solonese food that it holds a special place on my shelf. On its own, it is quiet but rich in a far less assaulting way, and I almost don’t want to mix milk and sugar to it, in fear of losing that subtlety.

This is possibly the best masala chai I’ve ever had. The coconut and lemongrass blend perfectly with the other spices. Great both plain and mixed with coconut milk.

I got chai’d out maybe a year ago. I think I got a bunch of Tazo chai that was pretty strongly flavored, and after that I started avoiding chai.

But later I was visiting Adagio Tea in Skokie, IL, and I was trying various coconut teas. Even though I wasn’t into chai at the time, I tried their Thai chai, and I have to say it’s tasty enough to get me back into chais. I usually drink it hot, but I also find it’s almost tastier cooled so if you’re looking for an iced tea this could be pretty good for that, too. Versatile!

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coconut, Ginger

How i got it: Tried it last night while having supper with my cousin’s family

Experience: Cool! We now have an Adagio shop in Santiago, so this opens a new world of possibilites about tea. Well, i have a well supplied cupboard, so i only joined the trip there to guide, hehe. Anyway, i got invited to try this one. Coconut, ginger and an unknown herbal/spiced scent are the main players in the aroma side, while this resonates in the taste, too. The coconut and ginger mix is enjoyable (spiciness included), and their flavors were very natural, but they were a bit overpowering, so the tea got the background and was almost imperceptible. Reminded me of Stash’s Cononut Mango, but this time serious ginger-y. Medium intensity, good duration, relaxing blend. Very good start in my experiences with Adagio, I’d say.

Would i buy it?: It could be a nice addition to mix things up a bit

Received as part of the chai sampler. It’s funny that it is described as having chicken soup flavor. My first thought when I started drinking this was that it tastes like my favorite soup from our local Thai restaurant. I wouldn’t describe it as savory, though, and I enjoyed it with milk and honey

3 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I made the mistake a couple months ago of ordering a lot of Adagio teas at once. I was so disappointed in the ones that I tried that I stopped trying them at all. Picking out this blend today, I was worried I’d be faced with the same experience. Luckily, this seems to be hitting the spot today. It’s not quite as smooth as my favorite Thai-inspired blend (a Teavana) but it’s a huge step up from the Adagio blends that I had been steeping up. I’m getting a lot of coconut and cinnamon, with some other sweet (vaguely pina colada) flavors.

I can’t list quantity and times today, because my husband made it up this morning.

0 OZ / 0 ML

The aroma is fantastic. Lemongrass and cloves together make an interesting combination. A friend kindly provided this sample for me, knowing that I would love it. Unfortunately, when I steeped this cup, I left no room for milk or sugar. Time to sip it down a bit!

Tea of the morning. I like the coconut and lemongrass in this chai. I added a little sugar and some milk to my cup, but next time I think I’ll add honey and possibly some coconut milk. Overall not a bad chai. It’ll be nice for those days when I want something sweet and spicy but a little different from my traditional masala and chocolate chais.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Interesting and spicy. Prepared it with hot coconut milk and stevia for sweetness. I feel like these flavors belong with food more than they belong in a beverage – but maybe that’s because I just made a similar-tasting yellow curry with chicken last week.

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Cinnamon, Cloves, Lemon Zest, Plants

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

It has a nice rich aroma to it! The smell is sharp but not offending in the least. It tastes of cinnamon with a lemony aftertaste. I enjoy the spicy kick that it has to it, which makes it pleasing to the pallet.