Thai Chai

Black Chai Herbal Blend
Chicken Soup, Cinnamon, Cloves, Lemon Zest, Plants
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I decided to finish off my last little bit of Thai Chai in style - by making it traditional-style like I've been saying I will for months. I used this recipe on the website...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1612 tasting notes
  • “Onto some more samples from *CHAroma* tonight as I await trick-or-treaters! I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting with this one, but I was initially quite put off by a very soapy aroma from...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2410 tasting notes
  • “In celebration of Coconut Day, I invite you, steepsterites, to join me in a rousing rendition of The Coconut Song, which I have just made up on the spot even though there are songs about coconuts...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “So, I still haven't gotten around to trying this one with coconut milk, and I probably won't. I think there's only a cup's worth left and I don't think it's worth repurchasing. On one hand, I...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Silky sweet coconut and playful bright lemongrass highlight this seductive black tea chai blend. Let the aroma draw you in and you’ll swear you hear it beckoning…come closer, just take a sip.

We suggest two heaping teaspoons per 6 oz up, boiling water for 5 minutes, Sugar, cream or coconut milk if desired.

About Adagio Teas View company

This is from last week, made notes in my notebook before I found steepster.

I don’t know why, but every time I try a chai tea I expect to be blown away by spices. I’m am very very frequently let down.

I prepared this plain (not a proper chai P:) and the flavors were a little flat compared to what I expected. You can also read that as the flavors were “smooth”. It was very pleasant, gentle, and flavors were there. But the “Thai” side of things definitely toned down the spices I was weirdly expecting.

I’ll happily finish off my samples, and maybe make a proper chai with it. :)

steeped about 2 teaspoons worth. Still not very strong but quite tasty nonetheless… Added milk and sugar, as I tend to do with all chais :)

Over all, this is pretty tasty. The lemongrass really makes this chai stand apart. I’m not sure I would order more when I’m done with my little sample bag.

A smooth and creamy chai, good for when traditional chai is just too spicy and strong. I prefer it with agave and milk to draw out the coconut smoothness even more! However, I usually lean towards spicier chai.

To start, this is not my favorite chai, it’s really good, just wish it was stronger. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Tasting notes:
1.) Very sweet, you definitely taste the coconut.
2.) Has a good black tea undertone.
3.) Spices could be a bit more present.

How I brewed it:
Steeped at 212° for 5 minutes

I am huge fan of Chai, so I am always on the look out for new variations and I when I saw this one from Adagio I had to try it. you can taste all the flavours of their traditional Chai but then you get the lemongrass which works really with the rest of the flavours.

Amazing blend! The ingredients all perfectly combine with eachother. Warm and comforting with a lovely exotic smell that somehow reminds me of Thai food – must be the spices :)

Reminds me of a Thai iced tea. Nice and spicy, reminiscent of Thai-style curries, but plays well with sugar and milk. I was pleased that the cinnamon wasn’t too strong!

This tea tastes a million times better with a bit of milk and sugar, but I don’t have any here at work and it’s still an enjoyable morning cup. The slight spiciness, especially the ginger, is a nice way to wake your brain up. But the lemongrass and coconut give it a lightness to the flavor. Chai normally makes me think of fall and winter, but I don’t mind drinking this one on a nice spring day.

One thing that I find frustrating is how much loose tea you have to use to get an acceptable flavor. It also doesn’t have the best re-steep value. For these reasons, even though I enjoy it, I don’t know if I’d buy this blend again.

Finishing off the chai sampler pack. First off, there’s a reason this one is the last little chai packet from Adagio to disappear off the shelf. And that reason is: soap.

When I first tried this, months ago, I couldn’t get over how soapy this tea was. I knew it was the lemongrass. Even though I like lemongrass, and drink it in other herbal teas, something about it here just screams SOAP! in my mouth and in my nose. Naturally I wasn’t eager to go for that second cup.

Fast forward some time. I’ve gone through the rest of my open chai teas and this one is still sitting there. Waiting. I read reviews online and bite the bullet. It still smells and tastes of soap, but not to the crazy levels it had before. I added a healthy amount of milk to my cup, and that calms the lemongrass/soap flavor down into manageable levels. I’m not typically one for milk or sweetener, but I’d say milk and honey are a must for this tea. It was much better after their addition.

The underlying taste of the tea is different from other Adagio chais I’ve tried. There are no cloves here, making it a nice change of pace. Not a tea I would reach for first. The rating reflects a “well, it was way better with milk” attitude.

I love coconut and chai. These together are delish! I added a little coconut milk and its even better. I will definitly search out more chai blends with coconut. Really good combo!