Mocha Nut Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Chocolate Chips, Chocolate Flavor, Dark Chocolate, Hazelnut Natural Flavouring, Marigold Flowers, Mate
Chocolate, Hazelnut, Coffee, Bitter, Cocoa, Earth, Herbaceous, Mocha, Nuts, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by IllBeMother221B

From Adagio Teas

The mellow chicory-like character of our Brazilian toasted mate is a perfect platform for a favorite indulgence – chocolate! Add a bit of hazelnut and you have the perfect treat. Great straight up or enhanced with cream and sugar this mate chocolate hazelnut is sure to entice your taste buds.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

As soon as I smelled this it reminded me of Teavana’s JavaVana Mate, and it tastes very similar as well. The hazelnut flavor is stronger in this tea and I want to say this one is creamier as well. After the first few sips I was certain I preferred Teavana’s, but then halfway through the cup I thought maybe I like Adagio’s more, and then toward the end I was settling on Teavana’s again. (It could just be that I like Teavana’s more because I had it first and I have it often. But I think Teavana’s also had more of a pleasurable “kick” to it, whereas this was smoother.) I might make them side-by-side to compare.

I used 2 teaspoons for 16oz of water, added 1 teaspoon of rock sugar and a little half-and-half, and steeped for about 5 minutes.

Nice bold, nutty flavor. Chocolate taste is subtle. With a bit of sweet cream, it’s absolutely delightful.

Wow, this smells delicious! So nutty and smooth.
The scent brewed is very chocolaty with hazelnut also being a very strong scent – it actually kind of reminds me of nutella.
The yerba mate keeps it from tasting heavy – it still has the grassy hay like flavours. The flavours that I had scented are more in the background, they just make it very smooth. It actually overall has a very light nearly mineral flavour.

What a yummy tea. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about a mocha flavored tea. It came in my Adagio Mate Sample pack, so I gave it a try. I really enjoy it. It stands in for coffee. I’ve never been a black coffee drinker (unfortunately I go for the calorie-laden Starbucks drinks). I’m not going to pretend it’s anything like that. But it’s doesn’t purport to be. It’s good of it’s own accord! A mellow twist on a morning cup of joe.

I’ve been trying (successfully!) to cut back on (Starbucks) coffee for all the obvious reasons. I’ll never say I won’t have a cup from time to time, but this will make my quest to cut it from my daily routine quite a lot easier.

I think this may be a regular morning cup of tea for me. It’s so mild that it still has the relaxing “feel” of tea. But the coffee-esque notes and the brisk mate quality give you that pep in your step feeling. I quite like it.

The leaves are certainly nothing of beauty to the eye, like so many teas (imo) but I’m perfectly OK with that!

AND yesterday my teen daughter (coffee hater) said “Mom, what is in the tea basket?” I apologized for failing to warn her, but as it turns out, she liked it too. I’ll have to get more scoop to see how well, as we did give it much discussion from there, but I was suprised.

As a side note, we tend to rebrew our tea baskets. I’ve found with our Teavana teas, we get a good 4-6 brews (for a mug, so 4-6 mugs) for a single basket (prepared per the package directives). We do tend to steep a little longer on those last couple of cups, but manage to get quite a lot from each serving.

I’m not yet sure if this particular tea will last that long. I’m on cup three now and we’re still going strong, so I suspect it will. My other Adagio teas are hit or miss in this regard. Some getting as few as 2-3 cups (e.g., chamomile)(the greens seem to keep on giving).

Happy Saturday TeaMates. So long!

Magnificent! I am thoroughly impressed by this tea. It is a delicious blend of hazelnut with chocolate undertones that complement versus overpower the taste. PLUS, it’s got this great toasted flavor. I love my genmaichas so any tea with the toasted flavor I am a huge fan of. I may have to get some more of this one since my precious sample is quickly running out!

I like my mates a bit strong so I used 1.5 tsp/8oz. I was surprised that it turned out as good as it did given that the temperature is suggested to be 150F, whereas other mates have called for boiling water.

Nice full-bodied coffee/mocha analogue. The hazelnut is most prominent in the fragrance and in the aftertaste. Added almond milk. I imagine it’d be great extracted a bit stronger and with fresh whipped cream. For those looking for comparisons with similar mate’s, this is more coffee/mocha-like than Teavana’s Morning Mate or Matevana, but less so than Guayaki’s Vanilla Nut Mate and Mocha Macha. To me, those Teavana blends don’t have as satisfying or well-rounded a flavor profile.

another mate for the boy to adore … and for me to steal sips from his cup of!
if he likes this one i will do what i always do which is say ‘i will buy you some mate!’ and then use the order as an excuse to buy myself some fandom blends i don’t need. (i’m looking at you Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.)

my samples are slowly coming under control, so buying tea doesn’t feel as guilty as it did before, but i still have a ways to go. i definitely need a lapsang in my collection. and della terra chocolate. and vanilla. blerg nevermind.

a yummy mate! i’m not a big connesiour yet but what’s not to like about a tea with MOCHA in the name eh?!?
thank you moraiwe!!

The first time I tried this tea, I didn’t much care for it. I’m not usually a fan of sweeter teas and the aroma was a bit too much for me at first. However, the more I try it, the more I enjoy it. It’s really grown on me, as it has a nice roasted flavor that does a good job of mimicking coffee notes, and the sweetness is actually quite mild. I like to steep it a little on the hotter side, as I like a hint of bitterness to complement the sweeter mocha flavor.

Oh, this is good. I bought it on a whim while I was on an Adagio tea-buying spree. I usually don’t like chocolate teas, but the notes on here convinced me it might be a good idea. You all were not wrong!

I thought I was accidentally over-steeping because I started talking to someone and not paying attention to my tea, but nope. Right on time. It’s nice and toasty and the chocolate/hazelnut taste is definitely there, but not too fakey-fakey tasting like some chocolate teas I’ve had.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hazelnut

I am trying this for the first time, it’s a result of a giveaway from Ubacat.

I’ve had a few flavored mates in the past. The best ones so far seem to come from Fusion Teas and I’ve been wanting to place an order with them for a while…. but can’t seem to justify it at the moment.

The package says to steep this at 150 F for 3-5 minutes. I decided to live dangerously so mine is more about 170 F for 5 minutes. The tea is very dark and reminds me of coffee in that it’s also fairly bitter. I am getting a bit of mocha. It reminds me of a chocolate covered espresso bean.. However, I couldn’t really drink this without adding soymilk and coconut sugar. then again, I don’t drink coffee black either. It’s nice to have a few mate blends around just to really have that energy boost. But I am coveting the Fusion teas blends once again… sigh

This is ok and I will finish off the pouch but I don’t need to buy any… I will revise the rating if a shorter steeping time makes it more enjoyable.

carol who

The name sounds so good. How disappointing.