Toasted Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by cody

From Adagio Teas

Product description not available yet.

About Adagio Teas View company

This is my first mate. (I was a mate virgin!) Honestly, I’m not impressed. Mate is very fine in its loose form. I use tea filter bags over an infuser and I’m glad I do because using an infuser with mate would be a big ol’ mess.
On to the taste. Weird. (Wow, so descriptive.) Nutty, toasted. But smooth. A good basic tea base. It reminds me of something and I can’t put my finger on what, but the taste is very familiar. Hearty and woodsy. The aftertaste is nutty, almost like coffee. Maybe it reminds me of weak coffee? There is a sweet smell to it as well…weak but sweet coffee, that’s what I bid. Kind of like free coffee you get while waiting for a service: car repair, real estate, insurance.
I got this as a sample and I don’t think I’d buy it again. No offense, maybe it’s my mate ignorance, but I don’t drink tea just to drink tea. I enjoy the flavors, the aroma, the experience. This one just didn’t thrill me.

Batrachoid

I’ve had bad mate luck lately too. I have one lemongrass green mate if you’d like to try some. SpecialTeas Green Mate Fiesta.

Meghann M

I didn’t do well with mate either. I like the mate flavor in Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate, but I think the flavor is more the Raspberry than anything else. I have some citrus mate and Mocha nut mate from adagio if you care to sample those. They were alright, but I could still the mate roasty flavor I didn’t like.

KeenTeaThyme

I will gladly exchange samples for samples! Anything either of you would like… I’ll PM you both. :)

my boyfriend really likes maté. so basically in my mind i designate all maté as his. if i open a new bag and put it in a canister, i point out “your maté is here” so i can feel sure he will enjoy it.
the result is that all of my maté is tasted from his cup. haha (can i have a sip?) (can i have another sip?) (could i have one more sip?)
but it also means he uses and enjoys all my tea accessories, which i think would be lost on him otherwise.
this is a nice maté! i’ve never had a plain one before. so i feel extra glad that TastyBrew sent me some. honestly i like it much more than i thought i would. it’s a unique flavor. definitely the toasted-ness makes it extra warming.
and not that he’s a tough sell, but the boy seems to like it too!

moraiwe

That must be a boyfriend thing! We do the same thing here :)

Funny story; I swapped a few teas with Meghann M for some of Adagio’s new mate samples. The next day, I received an order from Adagio (a tasting set) and suddenly remembered that I’d been promised the mate sampler with my next order, after making a comment on Facebook about missing out on that deal. (Tea companies are truly awesome sometimes, don’t you think?)

Well, maybe not so much funny as boring. Anyway. I now have far more mate than anyone should.

This is definitely a new experience for me. I’ve been curious about mate for some time, but I hadn’t any idea what it would taste like. I’m having trouble putting it into words at the moment. Just… toasty. And earthy. And good, but not mind-blowing.

cody

Also, not knowing how to make an accent on the ‘e’ is driving me crazy.

Meghann M

Oh no! I’m sorry we traded for something and you now have double and don’t know if you’ll like it:(. Feel free to look through my cupboard and let me know if I can at least send you some fun new samples to try. 2nd of each is quite a bit of non mind blowing tea! I’d be more than happy to send you something else!

cody

No, it’s cool. I’ll probably just pass along the non-opened ones at some point soon. Honestly, I really don’t need any more tea right now. I just stuck all my favorites in a box, and told myself I can’t have them back until I do something with the pile in the cupboard, lol. So once I figure out which ones I can tolerate, the others must find new homes.

Nice caffeine pick me up. any unprocessed sugar works my fav is rock sugar.

It has a strong, almost pungent smell when brewed, just short of making it unpleasant. I liked it, although it would probably be easier for a coffee drinker to enjoy than a white or green tea lover. Had a hint of a nutty taste as well, and no bitter aftertaste.

See this and all my reviews at http://www.teageek.org