Dragonwell

Green Tea
Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Chinese village of Dragon Well (Lung Ching in local parlance). Dragon Well tea has a distinguished shape. Its leaves are broad and flat, a result of laborious drying. There is something to show for this hard work: Dragon Well tea is refreshingly smooth, sweet and delicate, among the very best of Chinese greens. Our ‘Dragon Well Requiem’ is a First Grade version of this truly sublime tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

No argument with other tasters who say that it is a weak vegetal brew with an astringent tendency. But! I don’t have any big problems with it. It tastes like a light, roasty green tea. Maybe this is due to an inexperience with higher quality dragonwell, but I’d drink this as a nice generic green tea.

This is just ok, it has a nice sweetness at the end like all dragonwell’s do and a light vegetal notes but its just too weak and bleh tasting. Even when I steep for four minutes the leaves just don’t seem to have it in them. Very meh.

I’m still looking for a smooth green tea that I can sip at slowly without finding a single flaw. I can’t say that about Adagio’s Dragonwell.

I recently placed a rather sizable order from Adagio, purely made up of samples for my tea edification. While the reviews I’ve read on Steepster tell me that Adagio’s teas are not ideal, I figure that the teas will at least give me a starting point in terms of what to look for. And, hopefully, comments when I write them up will give me a better idea of which direction to look for better versions of these teas.

Today, I went for the Emperor sampler.

“Ooh, I’ve heard a lot about dragonwell tea,” I told my long-suffering boyfriend. He was busy eating his dinner at the time, so his reply involved enthusiastic nodding. He doesn’t drink tea himself, but he knows how excited I get.

Now, the description on Adagio’s page promises a toasty aroma. I could smell it, but I was a bit worried about the seaweed-y edge I picked up. I’m not too fussed about seaweed, usually, but I don’t really like it in tea. It makes me extremely picky when it comes to green tea. I was a little worried already, from the smell.

I wanted to steep the tea for two minutes, but I didn’t count on the strainer for my new teapot on being quite so finicky to get out. I was terrified of making it go bitter on top of seaweed-y, but the extra 45 seconds doesn’t seem to have had any ill effects.

It brewed up a nice light yellow-green, with the usual green tea smell. Maybe a little stronger on the vegetal scent than some. And taste-wise it isn’t horrible like I was expecting, though I’m not that keen on it. It’s got a definite hit of seaweed and vegetalness, but it does resolve into something I could like. If the first hit of taste were less intense, I would definitely enjoy it a whole lot more. The aftertaste isn’t bad, smoother than the tea itself, definitely.

Sooooo final verdict is mixed feelings. It’s not terrible, but it’s not something I’ll reach for, given a choice. I’d go for my bland Heavenly Tea Leaves Oolong before I go for this tea.

I have not been able to resteep, because I made way more than I needed. I was under the impression my sister would help me drink this, but she left long before I made it. I don’t even know what to do with 40oz of green tea at 10PM! It’s a bit amusing, really. :)

If the flavour changes when I resteep, I’ll let you know, fellow Steepsterites!

One of my favorite greens. Light and a hint of sweetness. I find I have to use a lot of leaves or it can turn out somewhat watery.

Cofftea

I call this “the tea that never dies”- I can get 12-22 infusions out of one serving of leaves.

my entire blog is Colin and everything hurts

I brought a whole lot of teas with me back home, and a lot of them I jsut brought enough for one serving because I know mother doesn’t like the teas that I enjoy. This one is a bit… it’s very much on the green/spinachy side. Very very grassy. I don’t know if I like it.. like it’s good and I’m sure it’s a great tea! But not my taste.

I enjoyed this – it seems like a very traditional tea in taste, and it holds up to several steeps. It is a bit sweet, grassy, tastes exactly what I feel like people imagine green tea should taste.

well, this is ok. i think with a name like “dragonwell” i thought it would be spectacular, but it is not. (spectacularly what, i’m not sure)
it is not bad. it is green, vegetal (vegetable-y?), earthy, it is fine. it is not spectacular. it is not bad. i am neutral on this one.

This tea surprised me. I didn’t like it at first, but I made a whole pot of it and by the time I got to the last cup I had fallen in love.

First let me say I didn’t follow the recommended instructions! I tend to just let tea steep until it looks like it’s done, and by the time this was done the tea was a medium gold color. At first I didn’t like it, because at first taste it’s slightly bitter and strongly green. The aftertaste is sweet and clean, though, and it had me reaching for another cup. I’d definitely recommend steeping this a little longer, because three minutes isn’t enough.

Sarah thought it was really good.
Brad likes it too.