Dragonwell

Green Tea
Bitter, Broccoli, Chestnut, Smoke, Vegetal, Flowers, Grass, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Chinese village of Dragon Well (Lung Ching in local parlance). Dragon Well tea has a distinguished shape. Its leaves are broad and flat, a result of laborious drying. There is something to show for this hard work: Dragon Well tea is refreshingly smooth, sweet and delicate, among the very best of Chinese greens. Our ‘Dragon Well Requiem’ is a First Grade version of this truly sublime tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

I am of two minds about Adagio’s Dragonwell. At first, this tea kept pulling me back to the green side. So distinctive, so nutty, so mellow, and with a singularly flat leaf shape that must have romanced many a wooden-hulled tea-trader in centuries gone by, Dragonwell was the first tea that made me want to extrapolate tasting notes like a wagonized wino — the sort of ever-so-slightly unusual tea, I felt, that implied literary tributes, glamorous odes, maybe even a saucy limerick or two. When I wanted something different, Dragonwell was the tea for which I reached into my disturbingly organized tea cupboard.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered how much Steepsterites hate Adagio’s rendition of Dragonwell! The vitriol, the vitriol: it is enclouding all the drinking water! But I kid, I kid. I am the first to acknowledge my current green tea rank, which is, summarily, “Novice Green Tea Admirer: Ready and Willing to Advance,” so it is now my mission to try another brand’s offering. I shall not give up on you, Dragonwell! I shall solve your bestially-leafed mystery!

P.S. It is disturbing to think that perhaps the flavor I associate with Dragonwell is not really Dragonwell at all, rather like the old philosophical chestnut: “What if what I see as the color orange is not the color you see as the color orange? How would we ever know?” Lucky for me and the dragons, a tea mystery is far more experimentally-based than a philosophical one.

I’ve never been more ready to put together my usual tea-haikus, which are two in number for this well of debated dragons:

Long-bodied, chartreuse,
nutty dragon at the well:
are you déclassé?

Is this Dragonwell
I see before me? Come, let
me clutch another.

(Sorry about that last one, Mr. Shakespeare. Sort of.)

As far as Chinese Greens go this is a pretty solid one, though not the best I’ve had. A local tea merchant in my area sells one I enjoy a lot more but this one will do in a pinch. A bit expensive for what it is but definitely not bad. It is a mild green tea with a chestnut note. The grassiness it offers is almost pungent and I can almost taste it with my nose (hopefully that makes some sense).

First infusion was weak due to me not adding enough tea leaves. Second was better, added a few more leaves to the steep.

I ordered this tea in the month of July 2010 and that is all I know about it as far as time line. I had an order about 6 months earlier, that I didn’t care for too much but this was not bad at all. As far as the whole steeping thing goes I have sort of adopted a new brewing technique from the Korean Tea shops is Seoul. At about 45-55 water-tea at 175 degrees I allowed it to steep for about 5 to 10 seconds. As long as I kept the steep very light I found it had very pleasant taste not at all grassy or bitter but very savory. After steeping a few time the flavor was much improved. The delicious after taste still linger on the insides of my cheeks, does that happen to any one else?

175 °F / 79 °C

This is the second tea from Adagio’s premium green tea sampler that I’ve tried. I’m glad that it’s a sampler because I’m utterly ambivilent about it. Neither love nor hate, but I won’t reorder it. It’s just so…tame, and kinda sad. I think that I will have cup now and again just to make my way through the tin – I’ll post another tasting note if any of my feelings change. M

Not bad, had this earlier today. Nothing really jumps out at me. It seems like every time I make this it comes out different. Sometimes grassy, sometimes bland. I’ve never had a /bad/ brew.. but it always seems like I can never get it /quite/ right…

One of the first teas I purchased from Adagio. Very good beginner green. I mixed it with some spearmint and no matter what the ratio it’s delicious!

I first tried Dragonwell from Adagio, in a sample. I had heard good things about Dragonwell, and wasn’t disappointed. It’s my favorite green tea. I ordered 4oz of Dragonwell from Adagio later, and while it’s still my favorite green tea, I found this batch in the tin a little different…it smells different than the sample, and is a bit darker.

Still, this is a fantastic Dragonwell for a good price.

Very light but very tasty. I could definitely drink this daily.