Darjeeling Sungma Summer (#22)

Edit tea info Last updated by Lee Kessler

• “I'm revisiting this today, because Adagio's clever lil marketing game has me narrowing down an order. I've had 2 cups this morning. The first was plain, and it still feels like a green/black...” Read full tasting note
    Zweven 136 tasting notes
  • “SIPDOWN yesterday. Anyways...so sorry I haven't been around much...Steepster has been giving me a HELL of a time in recent weeks and months but I will say yesterday and today the WORST so far. ...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Cold-brewed this last night, 3 tsp/12 oz. for probably 24 hours. I forgot about it for a while. At first sip it's like the standard unsweet iced tea, but once the aftertaste kicks in there's a...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 381 tasting notes
  • “This is my first darjeeling from Adagio, and I have to say, I think Arbor Teas spoiled me. In comparison, this is a good tea. It gets the job done, and it's very fresh-tasting and smooth, but the...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 457 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the famous Darjeeling region of India. Darjeeling tea is treasured for its rich golden liquor and distinctive muscatel (a type of grape) flavor. This tea scores high on both counts. Bright and aromatic, floral muscat grape aroma, with warm spice notes and also sugary squash. Plush, tangy mouthfeel with a sweet finish and balanced astringency. This excellent summer harvest tea comes from the highly regarded Sungma Estate.

About Adagio Teas View company

This is my second acquaintance with this tea, and I’m beginning to rather like it. I bought this as a sample with my last Adagio order, having only previously tried Mighty Leaf’s Organic Darjeeling Estate.

I find this a pleasant, light, refreshing tea. It doesn’t have as strong a muscatel flavour as I’d like, so my search needs to continue in that regard, but I am enjoying it. My steep time so far has been about three minutes, which I think I might extend a little next time. I’m interested to see what that does for the flavour.

In the cup, this tea has an earthy, nutty, slightly metallic aroma. This translates a little into the flavour of the tea, which tastes slightly musty and mossy. It reminds me a lot of a forest after a rain shower! The dry leaves smell slightly bitter, but, thankfully, this does not translate to the tea. In colour, they’re a mixture of green and brown-black, so I can see where some of the flavours in this tea that I associate more with green tea come from. My overall impression is of a smooth, delicate tea — perfect for a summer evening!

I’m a beginner to fine loose-leaf teas. This tea was gifted me in March with a variety of teas in an attempt to seduce me into loving tea—and it succeeded. At this point I’ve tried 22 different varieties of such teas—and this is topped only by another Darjeeling sold by TeaSource (Selim Hill.) So no, I’m by no means a connoisseur, but this is one tea that sold me on making tea a habit. Has a brisk sweet muscatel flavor. Good hot or iced, alone or with milk. I’m only leaving room at the end of this rating because who knows what teas I’ll try I’ll love more? But for now, very much a favorite.