White Symphony

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cheryl

• “Sipdown no. 36 of 2014. The last pot is better than this morning's, perhaps because in an effort to drink it up I went heavy on the leaf. It could also have something to do with having eaten...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes
  • “Disclaimer: Really out of my element on this testing. Having nothing to really judge it against, will just record impressions and opinion (but take it for what it's worth right now). This is a...” Read full tasting note
    Zweven 136 tasting notes
  • “This is my first white tea and I really liked the flavors. The smoothness of the tea and the flavors reminded me mostly of green tea without the grassy flavors. Definitely a good anytime tea. 1.5...” Read full tasting note
    kylestern 46 tasting notes
  • “Meh. Nothing special. Had a few sips/half a cup and decided I wasn't ready for this tea yet. It has a strong scent of something I don't enjoy, but the taste isn't too bad. ” Read full tasting note
    Dragonwellluvr 558 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

An exquisite version of the White Peony variety, this is a delicate tea made from unopened leaf buds and the newest two leaves to open on the tea bush. For White Symphony, many more buds are included than is typical for classic White Peony. The liquor is very light, similar to Silver Needles. But the flavor is much more complex: faintly floral, warm and sugary like honeydew or white nectarine. Soft mouthfeel and clean, uplifting finish. If you’ve been enjoying White Peony, we invite you to savor this more refined version.

origin: China
type: white
steep: 195°F / 91°C @ 3-5 min

About Adagio Teas View company

It’s a little like drinking the scent of the forest ground as it wafts up in the early morning. That’s overly poetic, but it’s what I like about white tea—that hint of still growing, still in the earth bitterness. This has bright overtones making it delicious even unsweetened.

Adagio’s White Symphony has become a new favorite – slightly sweet and a nice cup while I’m getting some work done.

My last cup from this sample tin. Very happy with this white. All the adjectives I’ve used in the past still apply: delicate, sweet, floral. This is a version of white peony (which I love) and is like a white peony with all of its positive traits amplified but still balanced. (If that doesn’t make sense, just think white peony, but better.)

Very similar to white peony (bai mu dan) but slightly lighter and more straw colored. More delicate flavor and slightly less nutty and bamboo notes. It’s light body might deter some by I enjoy it, especially for its versatility: I think it is great for a crisp refreshing iced tea on a hot day, but also as a gently palate cleanser with a hot meal on a cold day.

Slightly sweet, not overpowering, but definitely tea. On the way to becoming one of my favorite teas, and possibly my favorite white tea. Good way to wrap up a day of W.B. Yeats.

This is my second review of this tea because I needed to figure it out. Adagio recommends 180F for 3-5 minutes… using this method with destroy any chance of enjoying this tea. Using gung-fu method is a far better choice here. 3g to 4oz filtered water for 1:00 (thanks Lion!) really opened this tea up and allowed for a much more enjoyable experience.
Pale ivory cup which becomes more golden on 2nd infusion (1:15). Light floral aromas blended with lovely autumnal aromas of raked leaves. The palate is mild and nutty with a lovely clean powdered sugar sweetness and hints of gala apples. Soft honey-like (not in flavor) mouth feel which has a delicate astringency that seems to pull flavors across the tongue playfully and really bring out the autumnal notes and turn the previously described “ape house” flavors into an enjoyable complexity which compliments the tea. 4+ Infusions are possible using gung-fu method. This is Fall in a cup!

Original Review: 56
Adagio says: “An exquisite version of the White Peony”… White Peony, at least the ones I have had, are beautiful teas. This tea seems to have aromas which remind you of being in the ape house at a zoo. Dry grassy wild-brush, mild floral notes, perspiring animal, white pepper and minerals dominate the flavor profile; the mouth-feel is quite off-putting. The tea was in a sealed pouch sample bag… so its probably not old, and I am very familiar with preparing white teas so its not over-extraction.
I am all for funky tasking unique teas… this isn’t that. This tea just isn’t very good. Disappointing… but its alright, I have been on a streak of good teas so I was bound to hit a bump! Not throwing it away, I will experiment with different infusions and update if I can make it acceptable… or give it to someone I don’t like very much!

185 °F / 85 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

This is light and floral, and makes a great cup both hot and iced! I could steep it multiple times, which helps defray cost, which always makes me happy. I would recommend this white to others as the best traditional white that Adagio offers.

I’m still relatively new to the world of tea, and just began exploring white tea as everything I read led me to believe it was an acquired taste. I also don’t like strong tea, but do like it to have a lot of flavor and wasn’t sure I’d like the “delicate” taste of white tea.

Anyway… that’s my “caveat” to this review!

The first white I tried (a couple of days ago) was Adagio’s White Peony. I liked it well enough and thought it could even grow on me. Tonight I tried the White Symphony, and wow!

I used the directed two heaping teaspoons. The package instructions say 195 degrees F (and that’s what I did with the White Peony), but I dropped this one to 185 degrees (the setting for white on my electric kettle. I’ll have to try the White Peony again at the lower temperature.

My impression is not grassy or vegetal at all (something I definitely haven’t acquired a taste for). It has a very subtle and pleasant floral aroma, but does not taste “perfumey.” There is NO astringency at all – I’ve not experienced that before with tea. No aftertaste, which I assume has something to do with the lack of astringency.

It is very slightly fruity and reminds me of the nectar we used to suck out of field clover as a child (perhaps what others describe as honeydew).

I like my tea with what is probably a sacrilegious amount of table sugar (8 oz of black tea get 1.5-2 tsp). This cup got only 1 tsp and I think I might still like it with even half that.

Great introduction to white tea!

Sweet and floral. A very calming tea

I really loved this tea. This was part of a Sampler Pack of four White Teas and this was definitely my favorite. The Silver Needles and Snowbud was far too delicate for my sensibilities—I could barely distinguish it from hot water. My Aunt dubbed it “dirty water tea” for it’s color and lack of taste. The Silver Needle Jasmine overachieved in flavor—all I could taste was the jasmine—it was like drinking perfume. It had a “buttery” complex taste, crisp but lovely and full bodied, sweeter and less delicate and more flavorful than Silver Needle. I later tried White Peony from TeaSource. They’re very similar in taste, but I’d give the Adagio White Symphony a slight edge. I wonder if it’s the equivalent of “Silver Peony” on TeaSource?