Casablanca Twist

Green Tea
Green, Mint, Cream, Earth, Menthol, Mineral, Peppermint
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

An interesting twist on the old Moroccan Mint tea, which traditionally combines Gunpowder tea from China with fresh peppermint. We kept the latter, and replaced the smoky notes of Gunpowder with the muscatel highlights of a First Flush Darjeeling from India. The result is fresher, smoother and – we hope you’ll agree – a nice improvement on the original.

About Adagio Teas View company

Love this one. Got it in a sampler but will likely buy some on my next shipment.

I love this tea. It is one of my favorites. It has a real strong peppermint smell and taste to it which I really enjoy. I use the amber sugar crystals instead of regular grain sugar which I think gives it a better taste. I highly recommend this tea.

This is a perfectly good blend of perfectly good green tea and perfectly good mint.

However! Nothing will compare with tea made with fresh mint as they do in Morocco. So for that reason I’m rating this lower than I probably should.

This cup mostly smelled like peppermint with the Darjeeling as a very subtle undertone. The taste was almost all peppermint, but softer than peppermint tea by itself, beautifully balanced by the Darjeeling. I got distracted and let this cool for about 10 minutes before drinking it and then finished it in about 2 seconds without realizing it, so it must have been pretty good :)

You know what is kinda fun? Playing around with the wedding registry! I have not made it public yet since we don’t have a date set and that seems disingenuous, so I am occupying myself by perfecting it. By perfecting it I mean adding ridiculous captions to all the things on it, and of course removing the completely random nonsense I add at three in the morning when I am bored. The majority of things on it are things that are useful but we have just not acquired, like silicon baking mats and a deep fryer, but there are also silly things like a skull shaped trinket bowl, replacement nerf darts, and of course the much desired skull shaped ice trays. There is a real skull theme going on.

Recently I was given the opportunity to look at an old favorite tea company, Adagio! Over the several years I have been tea rambling they have shown up many times, they were the first online tea company I tried after diving into the vast ocean of online tea shopping, so I have a real nostalgic fondness for them. I am looking at Casablanca Twist, their take on Moroccan Mint, something I have been craving lately but have had no luck getting my hands on any that has been enjoyable. Granted I am not a huge fan of gunpowder, so seeing their blend used Sungma Summer Darjeeling and Peppermint I was very intrigued. I think I got really unlucky with my sample pouch though, I am pretty sure it is 90% mint. You can see a few spindly leaves mixed around with the mint, but mostly it is bright green minty fun. When sniffing this tea, all I smell is mint, fresh and cool and super strong. My nose is now clear and my lungs are happy, mint is good for the sinuses!

I decided to cold steep the tea, it just seemed right…maybe because I am Southern and chilled mint and black tea is kinda a big thing. The aroma after I crack open the cold steeper is a minty blast in the face, it is like walking into a snowy crisp landscape, and considering it is summer this is not too bad a thing. I get absolutely no notes of the Darjeeling, the mint has totally overpowered it. The aroma of the liquid sans leaves is pretty much the same, there is a tiny hint of brisk sweetness but mostly it is all mint all the time.

Well, tasting this tea is tasting mint. There is a slight bitterness to it, not the bitterness of tannins but the bitterness of vegetation, for me mint always comes off a tiny bit bitter, it is one of the main reasons I like mint blends and not just straight up mint. I also like my mint blends a bit more balanced, it is such a potent herb that it will almost always overpower what it is blended with if it is used in abundance. The photo on the website made it seem like it was a more even split, so I think I just got unlucky and since mint is fluffy I got the mint…somewhere out there maybe someone got a sample that is mostly Darjeeling. I really like the idea of a mint Darjeeling blend, but sadly I just got to really explore the mint side, so I do not have a real opinion on this tea. The quest for a Moroccan Mint continues!

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/08/adagio-teas-casablanca-twist-tea-review.html

Nichole/CuppaGeek

Hello my dear!! I totally forgot that I have a huge bag of this at home. Maybe I’ll send you some tea love. :)

MrQuackers

I had a picture of a matcha latte in a crystal skull, but you were nowhere to be found. :)

I love a mint green tea. So refreshing and crisp. So when I was in Chicago a couple months ago and was able to go to an Adagio store, I instantly grabbed a bag of this. Been wanting to try it for a while. Probably one of the mintiest teas I have ever had. Not sure how often I’ll reach for it, but its good to have to play around with and maybe add a few herbals into.

Here is the rest of the review:

Flavors: Green, Mint

I made this per the blenders directions. It’s very faint mint. I’m enjoying the green tea portion but would prefer a stronger mint. How much can you really say about a green tea mint. I said that correctly- because it’s not mint green tea. Not a strong enough flavor to the the word mint first.

Flavors: Green, Mint

I ordered this tea long ago, early in my loose leaf days. At that time I felt it was very pepper-minty, perhaps a good tea for the wintertime if you’re feeling a little under the weather. The mint is seriously vigorous when hot. Since my first tasting, I’ve reordered this tea more than once. I love it iced to help me cool off. The mint adds to the effervescent cool feeling inside and out. It is the best on stifling summer days. I like to mix in a little mango melange for some fruity sweetness. On my third reorder today, I brewed up a cold cup and drank it slowly throughout the day. A real creaminess in the darjeeling is present after a long brew or a temperature change, which made me fall in love with the flavor all over again. Definitely for mint lovers in all seasons but also an infallible iced brew.

Flavors: Cream, Earth, Menthol, Mineral, Mint, Peppermint

Sami Kelsh

I can’t believe I never thought of adding peppermint to darjeeling until I’d heard of this one, as I love them both so much. I really want to give this a go now!

I do quite this tea late in the afternoon or after dinner. Peppermint makes my tummy happy.

The flavor is dominantly peppermint, with the roundness of the darjeeling kind of comes out at the end. It feels a bit more substantial than a normal peppermint, but there isn’t much flavor past that.

This tea seems best as iced tea. The green tea they used in this blend doesn’t really break through the peppermint. As a peppermint iced tea, this is great. If I’m feeling crazy I throw some cream and chocolate in for that Andes taste.