Genmai Cha

Green Tea
Corn Husk, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from Japan that is the ‘snap, crackle, pop’ of teas. Genmai Cha is an exotic Japanese recipe that combines popped rice and popcorn with tender and delicate green tea leaves. First used by peasants as a cost-saving measure, our ‘Genmai Cha Pop’ tea is now equally popular with modern urbanites. Both groups enjoy a refreshing cup that’s both sweet and nutty.

$12/4 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

This tasted oddly like popcorn. But I like popcorn, so that is ok. Definitely not iced tea material, but I enjoyed it immensely!

I love green tea; flavored, unflavored, you name it- I’ll love it. Genmai cha is one of those teas I cannot help but try to drink before it is cool and I usually end up burning the tip of my tongue out of excitement. Without sugar, it is vegetal and refreshing. With a pinch of sugar, it is salty-sweet like caramel popcorn. The last sip of this tea with sugar is my favorite. It is a great tea to drink while curled up and watching a movie (it replaces popcorn for me). A tea that tastes great and helps me stay away from junk food? Sign me up!

Brews a neon green that is somewhat unsettlingly eerie. The smell is straight up popcorn, but good popcorn, not microwaved, so actually a great smell. Tastes like nuts and popcorn… probably right about what you should expect from a tea with nuts and popcorn in it.

Polished off the last of my sample of this today, so it’s time to write a review. A review that can be summed up in one word:

Yum.

So I definitely like roasty green teas, and this one was great. The popped rice is malty and savory, making this a great dinnertime tea. The green tea base itself is perfectly grassy, and it doesn’t get bitter unless you oversteep. A keeper!

The maltiness of the popped rice is a better compliment to green tea than I had expected. I assume the caffeine content of the steeped tea is lower since the actual volume of tea leaves is less. I think I will keep some of this on-hand as an evening/post-dinner green tea.

I love this tea!
Genmai Cha from Adagio is one of my favorite teas. It’s very strong for a green tea. The toasted brown rice gives off a lovely aroma during brewing. Do not let this steep too long, otherwise you get a burnt taste that can be gross.

I love my Genmai Cha with a little touch of honey. Nothing more.

Great tea for keeping your hunger under control. The toasted brown rice leaves you feeling full.

Decent genmai cha but I don’t think I would buy again. Sample shipped with bad ratios of ingredients. Liquor is a scary kind of urine colour :) But the flavour is still good.

This was a very interesting tea. I really enjoyed it. I grew up eating puffed rice cereal for breakfast, so this tea,steeped, really reminded of a mixture of puffed rice,maybe some seaweed-y ocean smell (that could be because I was at the beach all weekend?) and some caramel on the nose. The tea itself is a rather light infusion, but has a robust flavor of the popped corn and rice that could have overrode the delicate green tea flavor, but didn’t. I like the two paired together, and as suggested by what TeaCast.net did by adding some matcha to it, i’m curious how that tastes, so I am off to try some added matcha! :) All in all, I really like this, and would reconsider buying it in a bigger container, as i only purchased a sample of the tea.

This is still one of my favorite teas, and as a bonus I found a rather large quantity of the Genmai cha as I was organizing my tea for Steepster :)