Genmai Cha

Green Tea
Corn Husk, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from Japan that is the ‘snap, crackle, pop’ of teas. Genmai Cha is an exotic Japanese recipe that combines popped rice and popcorn with tender and delicate green tea leaves. First used by peasants as a cost-saving measure, our ‘Genmai Cha Pop’ tea is now equally popular with modern urbanites. Both groups enjoy a refreshing cup that’s both sweet and nutty.

$12/4 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

Genmai Cha is my favorite Japanese tea and I’m extremely picky about it. I don’t tolerate any grassiness or bitterness that comes with some blends out there. The way I see it, it should be sweet, smooth and creamy with a prominent roasted flavor. Adagio’s pretty much hits the spot, it has almost everything I’d expect from a good quality Genmai Cha. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a higher rating is the fact that the rice in the blend seems to be a bit over-roasted. It gives the tea a slightly bitter aftertaste which I can live with because it comes from the rice not tea leaves and has a different kind of bitterness that is not unpleasant at all.

What a wonderful, nutty green tea. I’m fairly new to green teas and this has been a wonderful introduction to such a complex world. I really enjoy the popcorn taste that is rounded out by the grassiness of the green tea leaf. This is definitely a tea I will buy again and again.

My preferred steep formula is 1 tsp per 8oz water, 170-175º for 2 minutes. This tea resteeps well a couple times, just add one minute to the steep time.

Though I had a cup from a friend’s pot that had been sitting for a few minutes, this was still a very enjoyable tea with a nice popcorn accent and a strong green tea flavor that worked well together.

It’s the type of tea that you can enjoy at any time, because the flavor is smooth and mellow, but there’s enough complexity to keep you interested.

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more

I like this tea quite a bit- love the nuttiness/popcorn flavor-definitely unique and definitely a keeper! I did multiple steeps and am very satisfied. Kinda curbed my hunger too.

I decided to lower the temperature from 180 as recommended on the package to 170 for a more typical green. Good choice. Any hint of harsh grassiness in this tea has transformed into a mellow, enjoyable grassiness. Will be brewing at 170 from now on.

Definitely need to get this one again. My sample is nearly done, only one cup left after I finish the one I’m slowly savoring. It’s got an almost nutty taste — very unlike most green teas because of the addition of popped rice and popcorn. But totally good, and great for someone like me who doesn’t really like green tea all that much. Like most green teas, it doesn’t take too well to hot temperatures, but if treated properly it’s wonderful.

very sad to take first taste of this one and realize it was like wet popcorn. Hoping it would have a little more in-depth flavor or something to take away the strength of the aforementioned “Jiffy Pop” zest. Too Bad, but, glad I tried it…and it was only a sample.

B HILL

Tried to warn you on that one…to this point that is the only tea that I have poured out after 1 sip.

Will P

I didn’t even get that much in

Delicious! I love the earthy taste I get off of this tea. The flavor of brown rice and popped corn make my mouth happy. If you are looking for a tea that is robust, buttery earthy, and rich in flavor than look no further. Truly a tea that has made it into my regular rotation. FYI, I make mine a little stronger for a bolder flavor.

Mmmmmm. I always love when I realize I have more of this one on hand. It’s so much more popcorn and rice flavor than it is tea, but it’s incredibly smooth and it’s calming. The rice and popcorn flavor is rich and robust, filling your mouth it seems even more than the space the water is taking up.

This was a very unique tea. The aroma was very prominent, and was almost exclusively toasted rice. The taste its self was also interesting, with a rather harmonious blend of rice and normal green tea. Multiple infusions saw a drastic reduction of the rice taste, leaving behind plain old green tea. It was also a bit disappointing that I only got 6 cups out of it, due to the rapid weakening of its flavor.

On a more personal note, it was a refreshing break from my normal oolong teas, and it is something that I honestly look forward to drinking again.