Genmai Cha

Green Tea
Nuts, Rice, Roasted Barley, Grass, Toasty, Green, Toasted Rice, Corn Husk
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from Japan that is the ‘snap, crackle, pop’ of teas. Genmai Cha is an exotic Japanese recipe that combines popped rice and popcorn with tender and delicate green tea leaves. First used by peasants as a cost-saving measure, our ‘Genmai Cha Pop’ tea is now equally popular with modern urbanites. Both groups enjoy a refreshing cup that’s both sweet and nutty.

$12/4 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

I haven’t tasted other genmai cha’s and I imagine they’re all an acquired taste. The green tea used in this one is pretty strong, which I like. It helps balance the also strong taste of toasted grains. I find the toasty quality to be warming. This would be great on a cold, rainy day.

It needs no sweetener (I cant even imagine how that’d taste!) and can be re-steeped once. I’m sure the taste isn’t for everyone but personally it’s one of my favorites.

Like liquid popcorn w/a lot less calories. Great in the afternoon for a light pick me up. It had a very light and clear flavor-it was not strongly vegetal. It is definitely a taste that takes some getting used to…

This is a great Japanese green with popped rice. It’s not as grassy as most Japanese greens, and has a nice, mellow toasty taste. Great for multiple steeps.

Mmmm! Genmai cha is one of my staples. So, after a 60 hour work week and 7 hours of sleep in the last 2 nights (combined) I brewed a cup of this. The toasty flavor is just perfect on a rainy, dreary day. I’m on my second steep now.

I tried it in my new sampling kit from adagio because I was a little wary of it, but I’m definitely leaving the leaves in for a second steep! Great, fun taste, good for an afternoon movie or book.

I love the history behind this tea.

Tastes like warm rice krispies

Flavors: Nuts, Rice, Roasted Barley

1 tsp 5 OZ / 150 ML

I’m not a huge green tea fan, but Genmai Cha is one that I really enjoy. This particular one has a lot of flavor and smell to it. The grassy-ness competes with the toasty-ness for dominant flavor. While the tea is still hot, the grassy flavor/smell wins out, but as it cools, the toasty flavor/smell starts to dominate. I can easily drink this without any sugar or milk or anything, there’s plenty of good flavor already. There’s no bitterness.

Flavors: Grass, Toasty

So this morning I took some with me in my tea tumbler (after brewing it up in the one touch). Brewing it in the one touch wasn’t the bad idea. The bad idea was carrying it in the tea tumbler. When I got to work and poured my first cup it tasted burnt. This was not the way I wanted to start my Thursday.

I naturally did not want to review those two cups of tea. So instead I heated the water to 180 and opted to break in Mr. TEA infuser to steep the leaves and toasted rice. I will say this Adagio does use a lot of toasted rice in their version of genmai cha. I’m not against this (I for one love the taste) but I’d like to see some green tea in there too!

A word on Mr. TEA. He’s a pretty cool guy who hangs on your tea cup while he steeps your tea in his “pants”. Yeah, I thought of this one after I started sipping…but let it go in favor of enjoying my tea. He does a great job at steeping tea, the trouble comes when you need to clear out the tea leaves. It’s a little bit of a pain in the pants…pun intended! Thankfully I found that you CAN flip said pants inside out (do this carefully) and everything cleans up pretty well.

Right, back to the tea! Once again I get that really great taste of the toasted rice mixed with the vegetal taste of the green tea. But unlike the Shirakawa from earlier this week, I don’t get a specific veggie jumping out at me. Which makes me a little sad because spinach is my jam. There is the hint of a grassy flavor on the finish, but only a hint. I’m not saying it isn’t a good cup of tea. Just that the flavors were more pronounced in the genmaicha from Steepster.

Flavors: Grass, Green, Toasted Rice

Perfect for movie time, no need popcorn.