Green Pekoe

Green Tea
Butter, Grass, Honey, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

• “I'm drowning in tea and must take immediate measures to STOP BUYING MORE. My new plan has as a requirement that I drink up twice as much tea as I replace. This requirement applies to full sized...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 933 tasting notes
  • “For reference, I rated this a 16 because it tasted really really soapy and weird to me. But no one else had a similar rating and my sister thought it tasted fine and great, so I'm not going to skew...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “I received this as a free sample with my last Adagio order. It was originally supposed to be Green Anji, but that was sold out. (In fact, it still is.) I've been putting off reviewing it because...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 457 tasting notes
  • “Thanks goes out to tattooed_tea for this sample! In all honesty I usually gloss over the non-flavored teas for the most part, especially greens. Maybe it's because of the vegetal-ness I get...” Read full tasting note
    WillWorkForTea 135 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Fujian province of China. Green Pekoe (sometimes referred to as Orange Pekoe) is famed as an everyday tea, and is among the most popular teas consumed in China. Its thin, wavy leaves appear almost black when dry. Once infused, however, our ‘Green Pekoe Blues’ reveals its true color. And produces a light cup with a smooth, mellow taste and a gentle, soothing aroma.

$5/1.5 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

I would agree with what other commenters say, that this is not a strongly flavored tea, that it has grassy qualities. On the other hand, these are not bad things for everyone!

This is the first tea I tried in my new IngenuiTea tea maker, and I have say parenthetically that the IngenuiTea is the best invention since the mesh ball—and easier to use! I highly recommend that anyone who loves tea, get one! Anyway…

In my first brewing I followed the directions on the sample package: 2 min., 180 f., just over a teaspoon of leaf (though these are such long squiggly leaves dried, that it’s tough to measure in any meaningful way). I found the resulting light golden brew to be, well…acceptable. The flavors weren’t strong, but they were: grassy, buttery, a little mineral-y. Like a combination of white tea and lightly fermented oolong, but at an inoffensive and almost insignificant level of flavor. Yet I didn’t taste wateriness, leading me to believe that this was not strictly an understeep or too little tea for the amount of water; this is just not strongly flavored tea.

In the second brewing (a couple of hours after the first, though I don’t know if it makes any difference) I kept the temperature of the water the same, but steeped for radically longer: six minutes. Wish I could claim this was some important insight on my part, but what actually happened was that the phone rang right after I started steeping. I was worried this brewing would be lost to bitterness, but it seems low flavor also means low bitterness in this case: at six minutes the brew is more flavorful but otherwise unchanged, as if to say, “No, really, I am an everyday type of tea in every sense of the word; you can’t get me wrong.”

I’ll remember to steep longer in the future because with a longer steeping, even on a second brewing, the flavor is really nice; the butteriness is more pronounced and there is almost a clean, though not at all watery, quality to it. The grassiness recedes to the background, and overall, it becomes very drinkable, if still rather inoffensive. Is it possible the 2 min. recommendation is some kind of typo on Adagio’s part?

Probably I won’t buy this again; there are lots more interesting and tasty teas out there than this one. But I’ll finish the package probably over the next couple of weeks at work, when things will be quiet and I’ll be looking for ways to stay alert! For the price, I do recommend it to anyone who is looking to try (or to help someone else try) green tea for the first time. It may not be remarkable, but it is still head and shoulders above what you might get in any American grocery store, and balanced enough in flavor that anyone who thinks green tea is too grassy, vegetal, sweet, or, well, too whatever, will be pleasantly surprised.

iced this with peppermint… yum!

Iced 8 min or more

I have to agree with a few of the other reviewers: This tea has very little personality. It is very delicate and has very little going on. It’s not bad—not bad at all, it just lacks any real flavor.

I tried multiple steep times: 3, 4, 5, 6. All producing, more or less, the same flavor. I brewed it at 180, as suggested. I may try 190 or 200 next time to see if I can coax a little more life from this.

If very delicate, extremely subtle tea is what turns you on, then this would be right up your alley.

A great simple green tea. Mellow flavor.

At 180F temperature, as directed by Adagio, the cup I got was so light as to be almost tasteless. Bumping up the temperature got me a couple of steeps of a mild, unremarkable green tea. Lightness of color is okay, but this was sorely lacking in flavor and aroma. I want more out of my tea than this.

Sweet but refreshing.

Im not big on these teas but they are quite nice sometimes, especially during the day or for trying to ice from time to time.

I like drinking it and watching the leaves float in the cup.

A very unremarkable green tea, but good introduction to Chinese greens. The description says it’s a good “everyday” green tea and I agree that it is, it’s very light and mellow. I steeped it 4 times starting at 1 minute and adding an additional minute every time each time at 175F. The flavor hasn’t changed at all, not that it’s a bad thing. A very simple and pleasant green tea.

175 °F / 79 °C

A nice light green, very middle of the road. A little brothy, light vegetal taste. Very average but dependable.

I will freely admit to not being much of a green tea connoisseur. I like to drink it every so often, but I can’t really tell the difference between specific kinds of non-flavored green teas (at least not the way I would be able to with black tea). Still, this is a nice green, delicate, not too grassy. I don’t know that I’d be able to recognize it out of a line up, though.

Jim Marks

The trick to sorting out greens is to start broad, and then get more precise within each broad area. Start with Japanese and Chinese (ignoring anything else as “fringe” for the short term). By and large, the Japanese really only do green tea one way, with a huge spectrum of quality available within that style. It is shade grown and steamed, and thus vividly green both in the leaf and the cup, and tends to be very vegetal in flavor, but usually in a good way. It is also one of the highest caffeine content teas, because the stress of shade growing causes the plant to produce more caffeine (which the plant uses as a pesticide, actually). Chinese can then be divided into roasted and unroasted, etc.

I really need to review my knowledge of greens, as almost all of the ones in the Adagio sampler I got taste almost identical, sans sencha and the gunpowder.
Very mild and grassy, a touch of astringency but overall smooth and soothing.