Green Pekoe

Green Tea
Butter, Grass, Honey, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

• “I'm drowning in tea and must take immediate measures to STOP BUYING MORE. My new plan has as a requirement that I drink up twice as much tea as I replace. This requirement applies to full sized...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes
  • “For reference, I rated this a 16 because it tasted really really soapy and weird to me. But no one else had a similar rating and my sister thought it tasted fine and great, so I'm not going to skew...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “I received this as a free sample with my last Adagio order. It was originally supposed to be Green Anji, but that was sold out. (In fact, it still is.) I've been putting off reviewing it because...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 477 tasting notes
  • “Thanks goes out to tattooed_tea for this sample! In all honesty I usually gloss over the non-flavored teas for the most part, especially greens. Maybe it's because of the vegetal-ness I get...” Read full tasting note
    WillWorkForTea 135 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Fujian province of China. Green Pekoe (sometimes referred to as Orange Pekoe) is famed as an everyday tea, and is among the most popular teas consumed in China. Its thin, wavy leaves appear almost black when dry. Once infused, however, our ‘Green Pekoe Blues’ reveals its true color. And produces a light cup with a smooth, mellow taste and a gentle, soothing aroma.

$5/1.5 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

Accidentally oversteeped it, still turned out quite good.

My second cup of this today, and TeaEqualsBliss is right: oversteeped is the way to go.

Very standard green tea. Mild but still has lots of flavor, though not particularly special. I think it is best hot.

On my third steep right now, could have used a little more time in the gaiwan but I was impatient

Nice basic, green tea. Little grassy tasting.

I fully admit that I may have over-brewed this tea a bit, which explains why I find it so bitter, but it should not be as bitter as I’m getting because I didn’t over-brew it by THAT much. I find it smoky and bitter, and those two flavors just overwhelm my palate. So…. Not my favorite. I prefer gunpowder for a everyday green tea.

I have yet to be happy with this one. Adagio’s recommended quantity and temperature yielded astringent water. Tripling the leaves to a tablespoon yields a stronger (but still subtle) beverage, but it quickly turns the corner to harsh bitterness.

Success lies somewhere near the two teaspoon mark. Problem is, at that point it’s butting heads price-wise with much more interesting teas. It also doesn’t seem to be usable at any quantity for more than two steeps (and even two’s pushing it if you’re following Adagio’s recommendations).

It’s not bad, it’s just not good. Or much of anything else, really. Unremarkable, simple, and straightforward. I don’t mind a delicate tea when it’s rewarding or complex, but Green Pekoe just kind of… exists.

A very light tea, to which I found the fullest flavor when over steeped. It has a slight aroma of cinnamon with a similar aftertaste, hinting at what it could be. Overall, not a fulfilling drink, but drinkable nevertheless

Boiling 8 min or more

I’m drinking this now, but I got distracted and let the tea steep for 8+ minutes. I added some cold water and the result is surprisingly good. Definitely sweet and slightly smoky, with a bit of dark grass. Not too much vegetal aroma. Perhaps this would change with a more appropriate steep time, but I like this tea nonetheless.

The dry tea leaves are beautiful — I think this accounts for much of why I like Chinese green teas so much. It may not be the best Chinese green but I could certainly drink this on a regular basis, especially since the price is right.

175 °F / 79 °C 8 min or more

Drinking this again today to try and empty the sample. This is a little woodier than I like in my green teas. I prefer a very light green, or if strong a very vegetal taste, but it’s definitely a good quality tea. Does the job this morning. :)