Gunpowder

Green Tea
Mint, Smoke, Vegetal, Cannabis, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Yay! My first second steeping of a tea! If I decide to resteep other teas, I'll probably tack the findings on to the end of the first steep results. But since my last review of Gunpowder was so...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from last night.. Bad, I know. I wasn't sure whether to log this under Honeybush Mango or Gunpowder, since I went half and half with the two teas. This is now my new favorite blend....” Read full tasting note
    mattscinto 52 tasting notes
  • “I got a sample tin of this tea from Ricky in a trade (thanks man!). Now I'll start off by saying that the first and only experience I've had with gunpowder green tea was rather...regretable. It...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1622 tasting notes
  • “Trying to get rid of this one so I have an empty tin... loved it when I bought it, now I don't care for it. It's not bad, I've just found other teas I like more. ” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Guangdong province of China. Gunpowder tea, as the name implies, is made up of leaves hand-rolled into tiny pellets. These resemble gunpowder, and give this tea its distinct name. Continuing this bang-bang theme, our special-grade version of this tea is named after a year that saw lots of cannon action. Our ‘1812 Gunpowder’ produces a full-bodied cup with a hint of smokiness. And mixes well with peppermint to produce a popular ‘Moroccan Mint’ tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

I am tired tonight…so, this may be short and sweet.

I just received it today and had to try it.

I like this tea. Adagio Teas Gunpowder is vegetal and definitely a Chinese green tea. It has all the bright, grassy, vegetal characteristics of Chinese green teas with a little smokiness to make it interesting. Also, I would like to mention that in addition to the aforementioned taste characteristics, there is one other that plays a role and this is, the prominent flavor of spinach…I suppose this is the “vegetal” component of the nuance flavors, but nonetheless, noticeable. The aroma is of wet grape leaves…vegetal, grassy, bright but not astringent and a little smoky.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I used the same teabag “pyramid” for a second steeping, same water temp and same duration and the only difference is that the second brew was a little sweeter; but it did yield a very nice second cuppa.

This is a very good everyday green tea. As everyone knows, I am not a big fan of Chinese green teas except for anything Jasmine, however, I would purchase this again because I do enjoy this one. Would I recommend this tea, a big fat YES!…it is delicious.

Boiling 8 min or more

Aaah nothing like a comforting cuppa gunpowder green tea. Tastes wonderfully comforting and familiar like my favorite well-worn jeans. I received Adagio’s gunpowder in a green tea sampler. I love to watch the pellets unfold as it steeps. Nice balance between astringency and buttery flavors.

Gunpowder is my favorite type of green tea and Adagio’s is the best I’ve had. I particularly like how the pungency of this tea plays along with the typical grassiness of green tea and the smokey notes. Gunpowder may not be the highest grade or most prestigious tea but it offers a flavor profile other greens don’t offer. I’ve tried other gunpowder teas and, while they are not bad, they don’t compare to this one.

Since this tea is pretty strong and the pellets are tiny I’d say 1 teaspoon per 8oz. of water is a good starting point. You can get 2 nice infusions with this tea although the 2nd one is a bit milder. If you, like me, enjoy very strong green tea then 1 teaspoon in a small gaiwan is the ticket.

I will warn you up front: there is a reason some people compare gunpowder tea to licking the bottom of an ashtray. I can see how people come away with that impression, and I don’t think gunpowder green tea will be for everyone.

Having said that, this tea has a smokeyness that is unmatched. And its not an out-of-whack flavor that overwhelmes, but a balanced flavor that is both intereseting and challenging.

Probably not an every day tea for most, but its perfect in the right amounts. I would absolutely recommend against using this tea as your first experience into green teas.

If you like it however, its a great value. The price on this tea is great and it stands up very well to multiple infusions. Each infusion tends to be a little less smokey than the last, even with more brewing time.

I love smoky teas, so of course, I quite like this.

A delicious smoky tea, strong and manly.

caustiq

It’s like miracle-gro for my chest hair.

Delicious when cold-brewed, which is how I usually take it. Often with a little mint.

Jillian

Funny you should say that because that’s basically what Morrocan Mint tea is. :D

I’m trying the new batch that just came in from Adagio. Love the smoky flavor. I always inadvertently brew it a little strong- since it is so compact, I need to go with a scant 1 tsp per 8 oz.

Cofftea

rather than a scant tsp per 8oz try 2.25 grams per 6oz.

Decided to under-steep this time around, see what happens.

Pretty good, not as good as the usual 3 minute steep time though. Seems a bit more of a bitter taste than the longer steep time, somehow… Must have used more leaves than usual.

I was quite amused with the wisps of steam arising from my cup though.

One of my go to greens for everyday drinking. I tend to mix some peppermint or spearmint with it as well.

Cofftea

2.25g of gunpowder to 1.25g of peppermint, spearmint, or equal parts both to 6oz water.