Green Tea
Mint, Smoke, Vegetal, Cannabis, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Guangdong province of China. Gunpowder tea, as the name implies, is made up of leaves hand-rolled into tiny pellets. These resemble gunpowder, and give this tea its distinct name. Continuing this bang-bang theme, our special-grade version of this tea is named after a year that saw lots of cannon action. Our ‘1812 Gunpowder’ produces a full-bodied cup with a hint of smokiness. And mixes well with peppermint to produce a popular ‘Moroccan Mint’ tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

Good quality gunpowder. Like how it’s curved

185 °F / 85 °C 1 min, 30 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I ordered this to remake Morrocan mint.
I made this just now with fresh mint.
It does not taste like Morrocan mint.
I’m not even sure it tastes like anything. :c
I get a vegetal note, but not much smokiness and I guess my mint doesn’t give as much mint as the mint tea I’d had before because I don’t get really any mint at all.
By itself, I don’t think the gunpowder really impresses me that much. Maybe I did something wrong. I’m disappointed.

Weirdly, the Morrocan mint I’ve liked best so far… is Teavannas. That makes one tea by them I like. >_

Flavors: Mint, Smoke, Vegetal

Did you put a shit load of mint? I do my own as well, I put the gunpowder first in the pot and fill the the pot with mint. Also, I use higher temp water, fresh mint needs really hot water to give. Because the mint is on top on the tea, by the time the water hits the tea, its temp. has decreased so you won’t “burn” it. Don’t know if it’s the “traditional” way of doing it, but it works well for me :-)

Thanks TeaFairy! I’ll have to try that.
I put like 5 mint leaves in it. I wasn’t sure how much was a lot if you know what I mean. This was definitely not a lot.

My mint plant may be too young for this. It doesn’t have enough leaves for me to strip like 4x as many off at a time. >_

From what I understand some gunpowder greens are more vegetal, and some are more smokey. I of course want the exact opposite of you and want vegetal and not smokey, haha

Haha well if you find a smokey one, maybe we will swap >_

I found Pingshui Gunpowder by kind of smokey, I don’t know if it smokey enough for you but it was a little too smokey for me.

Also try 2 tsp instead of one. That’s what enjoyingtea said to do and I think that’s what contributed to the smokey ness with mine.

Have you ever tried Teavanna’s Morrocan Mint? It’s perfect. I don’t know how smokey it is. I just know it was minty enough. :D

I haven’t tried it, mint without chocolate and smokey are on my no thank you list haha

Haha… but mint is so good. I love my Foxtrot

This is one of my favorites.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

In full disclosure for this tasting note, these leaves are older and also stored in a sandwich bag – not fresh or ideally stored. But I expected much worse from this tea, so it can only be better otherwise. The flavor is a typical gunpowder. I love the little bundles of leaves. To me, a gunpowder should have a hint of smokey flavor, this one didn’t have too much of that, but this is a nice flavor anyway. Very vegetal and almost marine-like. The brew color is a light yellow. Another great tea from Adagio!
Steep #1 // 25 min after boiling // 2 1/2 min

To borrow from Top Chef, I’d call this tea “one note”. Tastes and smells like toasted spinach. I’ll try again with more leaves next time, but I was expecting this to be stronger. Not my favorite. I prefer something with more nuance.

Flavors: Cannabis, Grass

Thank you moraiwe, I’ve been curious as to what gunpowder would taste like. Now I have my newbie personal answer: Toasty and Grassy, I’m a little surprised how much I like it. I know I have liked plain green teas and would describe them as grassy but anytime I read it in a tasting note, I think “ahh, no thanks” especially to the words spinach, green bean, and asparagus. Maybe over time I will learn to get excited over reading those words.

Not sure how often I will reach for it because I’m having so much fun trying flavored teas but I’m more likely choose this over a regular green when the mood strikes. Maybe I will try adding this to another tea, I like the idea I’ve read of adding it to peppermint.

I loved this tea! It looks beautiful in pellet form and unfurled, and it has a refreshing veggie flavor that allowed for a few quality steeps.

This is a tea I always have at work with me when I forget to bring my tea tumbler or need a green tea pick me up. I love to brew it hot and then after it has steeped add cold water from the water cooler to make an “iced” tea. Very refreshing.

This tea lives up to its name: nice and smoky.