Gunpowder

Green Tea
Cannabis, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Yay! My first second steeping of a tea! If I decide to resteep other teas, I'll probably tack the findings on to the end of the first steep results. But since my last review of Gunpowder was so...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from last night.. Bad, I know. I wasn't sure whether to log this under Honeybush Mango or Gunpowder, since I went half and half with the two teas. This is now my new favorite blend....” Read full tasting note
    mattscinto 52 tasting notes
  • “I got a sample tin of this tea from Ricky in a trade (thanks man!). Now I'll start off by saying that the first and only experience I've had with gunpowder green tea was rather...regretable. It...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1527 tasting notes
  • “Trying to get rid of this one so I have an empty tin... loved it when I bought it, now I don't care for it. It's not bad, I've just found other teas I like more. ” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Guangdong province of China. Gunpowder tea, as the name implies, is made up of leaves hand-rolled into tiny pellets. These resemble gunpowder, and give this tea its distinct name. Continuing this bang-bang theme, our special-grade version of this tea is named after a year that saw lots of cannon action. Our ‘1812 Gunpowder’ produces a full-bodied cup with a hint of smokiness. And mixes well with peppermint to produce a popular ‘Moroccan Mint’ tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

To borrow from Top Chef, I’d call this tea “one note”. Tastes and smells like toasted spinach. I’ll try again with more leaves next time, but I was expecting this to be stronger. Not my favorite. I prefer something with more nuance.

Flavors: Cannabis, Grass

Thank you moraiwe, I’ve been curious as to what gunpowder would taste like. Now I have my newbie personal answer: Toasty and Grassy, I’m a little surprised how much I like it. I know I have liked plain green teas and would describe them as grassy but anytime I read it in a tasting note, I think “ahh, no thanks” especially to the words spinach, green bean, and asparagus. Maybe over time I will learn to get excited over reading those words.

Not sure how often I will reach for it because I’m having so much fun trying flavored teas but I’m more likely choose this over a regular green when the mood strikes. Maybe I will try adding this to another tea, I like the idea I’ve read of adding it to peppermint.

I loved this tea! It looks beautiful in pellet form and unfurled, and it has a refreshing veggie flavor that allowed for a few quality steeps.

This is a tea I always have at work with me when I forget to bring my tea tumbler or need a green tea pick me up. I love to brew it hot and then after it has steeped add cold water from the water cooler to make an “iced” tea. Very refreshing.

This tea lives up to its name: nice and smoky.

Absolutely the best bang per buck green tea. Drink this every day now at work.

Solid green tea.

A good, solid, reasonably-priced, every-day green tea. I like it more than the Temple of Heaven Gunpowder that you find all over the place (although that stuff does have its charm). Cleaner than mosts other gunpowders I’ve had which is nice.

This has a strong briny scent very reminiscent of miso soup. The flavor is about the same as the smell. Just add tofu and sliced scallions…
Not my favorite, although it would be fine to drink with dinner.

As this gets cooler, the fishy smell and taste are becoming more pronounced – to the point where I can’t finish my cup.

Green tea is my favorite, and this tea is why! It’s smoky and vegetal at the same time, the perfect mix of spinach and campfires, but I mean that in the best way! It’s a good morning cup, the flavor will definitely wake you up. It also tastes great iced, which is a blessing when you have a stretch of 95 degree days like the one I’m stuck in right now.

By the way, this is good for 3-4 steeps. The sample goes a long way!