Gunpowder

Green Tea
Cannabis, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Yay! My first second steeping of a tea! If I decide to resteep other teas, I'll probably tack the findings on to the end of the first steep results. But since my last review of Gunpowder was so...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from last night.. Bad, I know. I wasn't sure whether to log this under Honeybush Mango or Gunpowder, since I went half and half with the two teas. This is now my new favorite blend....” Read full tasting note
    mattscinto 52 tasting notes
  • “I got a sample tin of this tea from Ricky in a trade (thanks man!). Now I'll start off by saying that the first and only experience I've had with gunpowder green tea was rather...regretable. It...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1527 tasting notes
  • “Trying to get rid of this one so I have an empty tin... loved it when I bought it, now I don't care for it. It's not bad, I've just found other teas I like more. ” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Guangdong province of China. Gunpowder tea, as the name implies, is made up of leaves hand-rolled into tiny pellets. These resemble gunpowder, and give this tea its distinct name. Continuing this bang-bang theme, our special-grade version of this tea is named after a year that saw lots of cannon action. Our ‘1812 Gunpowder’ produces a full-bodied cup with a hint of smokiness. And mixes well with peppermint to produce a popular ‘Moroccan Mint’ tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

The first time I tried this tea it was mixed with spearmint to make a Moroccan Mint blend. I used one teaspoon of gunpowder and two teaspoons of spearmint. The first steeping just tasted like spearmint with a very mild grassy note behind it, so I was worried I had gotten the proportions wrong, but there was a big change with the second steeping. All of the sudden the minty flavor was matched by smokey, full-bodied, powerful green tea. Maybe my first steeping was too short, but either way this gunpowder is definitely a keeper!

A delicious green tea for the tired student! I place the dried leaves right in my cup and brew on top of it. No need to actually strain out the leaves because it’s so delicious! The tea unfolds many times its size and gives a nice green tea flavor that isn’t too harsh and not as light as a high quality gyokuro. Very good pick-me-up tea!

I enjoyed this gunpowder more than others I’ve had previously. Less smoky and more vegetal (slightly, but way more than others I’ve had). I’m not a huge gunpowder fan though, so I won’t likely order more of this for a long while.

Love this stuff… another staple in my weekly work sippings. :)

A nice green tea. It is very flavorful and stands up to several infusions (I think 3 is solid). It is really good with honey. With subsequent infusions, I add approximately 50 seconds.

A very strong cup of tea. The gunpowder tea leaves bloom quite nicely, so I might’ve added a bit more than necessary resulting in a stronger steeping. I’ll be trying another cup soon, and I’m looking into adding a bit of peppermint like the description suggests.

Bleh. I don’t like the smoke smell. I don’t think gunpowder is for me. If I want roasty, I’ll drink some Genmaicha.

I’m pretty picky about Gunpowders, and this is definitely not one of my favourites. I have nothing against “grassy” teas — some I’m really quite fond of — but this tasted as if I’d stuffed a fistful of grass in my mouth, dirt and all.

If you like really strong, grassy green teas, this tea is for you, but it wasn’t for me. I don’t think I ever found a good steep time for it; it either tasted like warm water or like I was licking a meadow every time I made a mug of this one. I am sure there are people looking for this in a tea, but it was just too strong for me.

A little better this time. I used the hot water from a water dispenser, so it wasn’t too hot. Didn’t get the astringency this time, but still not much flavor. I will continue to add more leaves! I am determined to enjoy this tea.