Gunpowder

Green Tea
Mint, Smoke, Vegetal, Cannabis, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Yay! My first second steeping of a tea! If I decide to resteep other teas, I'll probably tack the findings on to the end of the first steep results. But since my last review of Gunpowder was so...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from last night.. Bad, I know. I wasn't sure whether to log this under Honeybush Mango or Gunpowder, since I went half and half with the two teas. This is now my new favorite blend....” Read full tasting note
    mattscinto 52 tasting notes
  • “I got a sample tin of this tea from Ricky in a trade (thanks man!). Now I'll start off by saying that the first and only experience I've had with gunpowder green tea was rather...regretable. It...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1585 tasting notes
  • “Trying to get rid of this one so I have an empty tin... loved it when I bought it, now I don't care for it. It's not bad, I've just found other teas I like more. ” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Guangdong province of China. Gunpowder tea, as the name implies, is made up of leaves hand-rolled into tiny pellets. These resemble gunpowder, and give this tea its distinct name. Continuing this bang-bang theme, our special-grade version of this tea is named after a year that saw lots of cannon action. Our ‘1812 Gunpowder’ produces a full-bodied cup with a hint of smokiness. And mixes well with peppermint to produce a popular ‘Moroccan Mint’ tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

Solid green tea.

A good, solid, reasonably-priced, every-day green tea. I like it more than the Temple of Heaven Gunpowder that you find all over the place (although that stuff does have its charm). Cleaner than mosts other gunpowders I’ve had which is nice.

This has a strong briny scent very reminiscent of miso soup. The flavor is about the same as the smell. Just add tofu and sliced scallions…
Not my favorite, although it would be fine to drink with dinner.

As this gets cooler, the fishy smell and taste are becoming more pronounced – to the point where I can’t finish my cup.

Green tea is my favorite, and this tea is why! It’s smoky and vegetal at the same time, the perfect mix of spinach and campfires, but I mean that in the best way! It’s a good morning cup, the flavor will definitely wake you up. It also tastes great iced, which is a blessing when you have a stretch of 95 degree days like the one I’m stuck in right now.

By the way, this is good for 3-4 steeps. The sample goes a long way!

The first time I tried this tea it was mixed with spearmint to make a Moroccan Mint blend. I used one teaspoon of gunpowder and two teaspoons of spearmint. The first steeping just tasted like spearmint with a very mild grassy note behind it, so I was worried I had gotten the proportions wrong, but there was a big change with the second steeping. All of the sudden the minty flavor was matched by smokey, full-bodied, powerful green tea. Maybe my first steeping was too short, but either way this gunpowder is definitely a keeper!

A delicious green tea for the tired student! I place the dried leaves right in my cup and brew on top of it. No need to actually strain out the leaves because it’s so delicious! The tea unfolds many times its size and gives a nice green tea flavor that isn’t too harsh and not as light as a high quality gyokuro. Very good pick-me-up tea!

I enjoyed this gunpowder more than others I’ve had previously. Less smoky and more vegetal (slightly, but way more than others I’ve had). I’m not a huge gunpowder fan though, so I won’t likely order more of this for a long while.

Love this stuff… another staple in my weekly work sippings. :)

A nice green tea. It is very flavorful and stands up to several infusions (I think 3 is solid). It is really good with honey. With subsequent infusions, I add approximately 50 seconds.

A very strong cup of tea. The gunpowder tea leaves bloom quite nicely, so I might’ve added a bit more than necessary resulting in a stronger steeping. I’ll be trying another cup soon, and I’m looking into adding a bit of peppermint like the description suggests.

Bleh. I don’t like the smoke smell. I don’t think gunpowder is for me. If I want roasty, I’ll drink some Genmaicha.