Green Tea
Baked Bread, Caramel, Nuts, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Thank you Shelly Lorraine for letting me try this one! I've had only two other houjichas before and I really like them. This one almost looked like little twigs more than green tea (well, brown...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1520 tasting notes
  • “Lately, I've been having some tea blahs where I don't really feel like drinking much tea. So as usual, I decided to reset with a hojicha. This one was the first one within reach. Not necessarily my...” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 526 tasting notes
  • “Not all Hojichas are created equal. Hojicha isn't a commodity -- there are real differences between brands. I gave Mighty Leaf's Organic Hojicha a 93. I might have been more positively disposed...” Read full tasting note
    philhov 19 tasting notes
  • “This smells like nori for some reason. The flavour is certainly roasted, and kinda nutty. Glad I finally got to try this type. And I learned that it doesn't really go with tomato soup.” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 461 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from Japan that is rendered brown by roasting Bancha tea leaves over charcoals. The popularity of our ‘Hojicha Fugue’ stems from its nutty and very accessible mesquite taste. The roasting process lowers its caffeine content. So if you are looking for a low-caffeine green tea, this is a wonderful alternative to our decaffeinated choices.

About Adagio Teas View company

This is my first taste of Hojicha tea, so I followed the recommended steeping instructions (2 teaspoons in 16oz of water for 3 minutes). The liquor of the leaves is a brown, with a few hints of orange. Darker than the other green teas that I’ve had. The aroma isn’t so appealing to my nose. It smells like a bunch of burnt leaves and twigs honestly. I guess thats to be expected since they are roasted leaves. The taste is alright, but pretty bland with a hint of smokiness. Every time I take another sip it tastes more and more like twigs ( based off my assumption of what twigs taste like =P ). Not bad, but not too good either.

I’d gotten this as a free sample with another tea I’d ordered, because it was one of the only teas Adagio offered as a sample that wasn’t a flavored or herbal tea. The first time I tried it, I was unimpressed. However, this afternoon I was helping my dad fix dinner and I wanted to fix some tea, so I decided to give this another go.

During round 1, I was puzzled by all the reviews on Adagio.com that raved about its “nutty” flavor; I just tasted burnt grass. I would have feared I’d oversteeped it had the dry leaves not smelled exactly the same. I erred on the side of caution anyway. Adagio recommends steeping it at 180 for 2-3 minutes. This time, I veered closer to Teavana instructions with 175-180 for ~45 seconds.

I still taste burnt grass. Or toasty lawnmower clippings. But it doesn’t bug me quite as much as my first try. I can see it being an acquired taste. Or working well when blended with something else. Don’t know what. Maybe this time, I just knew what to expect.

This was apart of a green tea blending starter kit I got from Adagio. I’ve never had a green tea quite like this hojicha. When I opened it up, it had a roasted smell that reminded me of genmaicha. I brewed a pot of this, using water that had been left to cool for a moment or two after boiling. The liquor is a light golden brown. I picked the cup up after letting it come down to drinking temperature to get a smell of it. The “roasted” smell remains, though it’s far from unpleasant.

The taste is the same as the smell. It’s a very nutty, earthy taste, that ends on a slightly tart note. I think this makes for excellent cold weather tea, with its deeper flavor. I’m actually surprised this is a green tea.

I enjoyed this a lot – it definitely smells roasted, and almost has a hint of smoke. I am not a huge fan of smokey tasting teas, but this was just enough. It was bready and delicious, and makes me want to try out others of its type.

This is a delicious tea on its own and in blends. There are strong nutty and roasted flavors throughout the process. In the bag it smells like dry grass in the best way possible. Brewed, there is still the grassy green core but with strong toasted overtones. As someone who tends to prefer black teas, this is a great green to explore since it still has deeper flavors beyond grass green. I’ve noticed with later brewings that there is also gentle marzipan and floral tones that add just a touch of graceful sweetness. Honestly one of my favorite teas, green or black.

Roasty and nutty with hints of baked sweet bread and caramel. This houjicha is rather mild, smooth and agreeable. The empty teacup after drinking smells like waldorf salad (weird, I know, but that’s what comes to mind, and I like it), while the brewed leaves smell like nori. My first experience with houjicha (a different brand) was kind of terrible, ended up tasting like coffee, despite having followed the brewing instructions that came with it. I have done a little research and honed my skill for brewing it this time around and I find that this produces quite a nice tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Nuts, Roasted Barley

185 °F / 85 °C 1 min, 30 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’m not super familiar with hojichas, but this one seems decent. Not amazing, but it has a good roasty taste, slightly caramely and isn’t bitter. I’d love to try an Adagio flavored hojicha sometime.

2 sips.. then dumped. I do not like this campfire tasting teas…

I liked this tea—so far it’s my favorite among the Greens I’ve tried which tend to be either too smokey (Gunpowder) or too vegetal (Dragonwell or Sencha) for my tastes. This one had a nutty, warm taste to me. When I ran out I tried another Hojicha, this time from TeaSource. I found I prefer the one from Adagio. TeaSource’s has an earthier, maltier taste and I prefer Adagio’s mellower taste.

Not a big fan of Hojicha. I thought i would like the roastiness, but it’s not a real nutty or toasty roastiness like coffee> I find it rather dull.