Sleeping Dragon

Green Tea
Astringent, Dry Grass, Roasted, Smoke, Sweet, Vegetal, Earth, Grass, Nutty, Butter, Honey, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by E Alexander Gerster

• “So first a story of how I received this tea. Today I had my last final for class where I got certified in unarmed stage combat and broadsword, as well as getting certified with recommendation for...” Read full tasting note
    knifeblood102 98 tasting notes
  • “I ordered this tea two times from adagio… Two completely different teas. First time was amazing, smoky, vegetal, savory tea with just a slight hint of sweetness. It reminded me of vegetable...” Read full tasting note
    jcov 181 tasting notes
  • “This new offering by Adagio Teas is very similar to their Jade Snail Tea and both appear to be varieties of Bi Luo Chun (Pi Luo Chun). This is a very delicate tea and is better if left to steep at...” Read full tasting note
    ealexandergerster 131 tasting notes
  • “Picked up a sample of this a while back with my Adagio order to bump up to free shipping status. Crisp, vegetal, hint of sweetness and a touch of smoke. Kind of reminiscent of the one gunpowder I...” Read full tasting note
    Argentum 148 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Grown at about 1,000 meters in the mountainous Fujian province, tightly rolled leaves and silvery fuzzy buds give this tea its signature shape and name. In the cup, it delivers a soft, fruity sweetness enfolded by a rich smokey note similar to a gunpowder, but more complex and crisp in the finish. A great cup for a green tea novice or those who oppose grassy character.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

I really like this iced and have been using it to make some of my other greens go farther. It isn’t my favorite on its own but it does the trick.

I gaiwan brewed this tea like I normally do with greens. To me this is a somewhat light and sweet green tea with some depth that is not grassy but unlike the description I would not call it smoky, maybe slightly smoky but light enough that one can miss it. While it was compared to Gunpowder in the description quite honestly I think it is more like a Pi Lo Chun type green tea.

This reminds me of a dragonwell. Which is why perhaps they called it sleeping dragon? I thought at first that it was an oolong based on the look but it definitely has the flavor profile of a green/dragonwell. Grassy, somewhat bitter (maybe I over steeped it?), A bit of hay.

Holidays TTB: Took the kettle off before it whistled for this. I can’t wait until my Tea Maker comes in later this week so I know that I’m using correct temperatures. I ended up adding some sweetener to this and it brought out an almost juicy flavor and texture. There is a bit of a grassy flavor and something else. My guess would be some sort of citrus or melon flavor?

2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Tasting #1 – Steep Time 2 Minutes
Light roasted aroma is matched by the light roasted flavor.

Tasting #2 – Steep Time 4 Minutes
There is a distinct astringency to this tea now that over powers the roasted flavor and any natural flavors budding from the leaves.

Tasting #3 – Steep Time 6 Minutes
The astringent and the roasted flavors have mellowed out at this point and merged together to create a really mediocre tea.

No notice of roasted flavors, the astringency takes over. Nothing gained, everything loss. A serious disappointment.

Flavors: Astringent, Dry Grass, Roasted

Sleeping dragon is a good name for this tea. There is just a hint of smoke, but it is subtle and rests behind layers of sweetness on a bed of subtle vegetal flavor. The subtlety of the smokey flavor does indeed make me think of a sleeping dragon softly exhaling smoke in his sleep.

It gets little astringent if you let it cool too much, so definitely drink it warm.

Flavors: Smoke, Sweet, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a blend geek when it comes to teas, so I haven’t gotten a taste of too many high-brow teas. That said, Sleeping Dragon from Adagio was one of my rare excursions into quality tea and I was not disappointed. Gunpowder green is one of my favorite teas from Adagio both on its own and in blends. Sleeping Dragon is a smokier version of this great tea. This has a more toasty, nutty flavor than grassy green, but still lighter and brighter than any black teas. As a fan of hojicha, this is like the perfect union of that roasted nuttiness and the rich greens of gunpowder. Not too strange or challenging but hugely complex. I’m due to brew it again and give you some more adjectives.

Flavors: Earth, Grass, Nutty, Roasted, Smoke

I’ve either not had enough green teas lately, or too much oolong. Because this kinda smells like oolong. The flavour is light, and very vegetal. It makes me want wakame soup.

Flavors: Vegetal

A very nice green tea that holds up well to multiple steepings. This one never goes bitter on me even if I accidently oversteep, and has a smokey scent when hot. The flavor is mild and vegetal. Excellent for someone new to green tea!