Sleeping Dragon

Green Tea
Smoke, Sweet, Vegetal, Earth, Grass, Nutty, Roasted, Butter, Honey, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by E Alexander Gerster

• “So first a story of how I received this tea. Today I had my last final for class where I got certified in unarmed stage combat and broadsword, as well as getting certified with recommendation for...” Read full tasting note
    knifeblood102 98 tasting notes
  • “I ordered this tea two times from adagio... Two completely different teas. First time was amazing, smoky, vegetal, savory tea with just a slight hint of sweetness. It reminded me of vegetable stock...” Read full tasting note
    jcov 140 tasting notes
  • “This new offering by Adagio Teas is very similar to their Jade Snail Tea and both appear to be varieties of Bi Luo Chun (Pi Luo Chun). This is a very delicate tea and is better if left to steep at...” Read full tasting note
    ealexandergerster 96 tasting notes
  • “Picked up a sample of this a while back with my Adagio order to bump up to free shipping status. Crisp, vegetal, hint of sweetness and a touch of smoke. Kind of reminiscent of the one gunpowder...” Read full tasting note
    Argentum 112 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Grown at about 1,000 meters in the mountainous Fujian province, tightly rolled leaves and silvery fuzzy buds give this tea its signature shape and name. In the cup, it delivers a soft, fruity sweetness enfolded by a rich smokey note similar to a gunpowder, but more complex and crisp in the finish. A great cup for a green tea novice or those who oppose grassy character.

About Adagio Teas View company

I really like this iced and have been using it to make some of my other greens go farther. It isn’t my favorite on its own but it does the trick.

I gaiwan brewed this tea like I normally do with greens. To me this is a somewhat light and sweet green tea with some depth that is not grassy but unlike the description I would not call it smoky, maybe slightly smoky but light enough that one can miss it. While it was compared to Gunpowder in the description quite honestly I think it is more like a Pi Lo Chun type green tea.

Sleeping dragon is a good name for this tea. There is just a hint of smoke, but it is subtle and rests behind layers of sweetness on a bed of subtle vegetal flavor. The subtlety of the smokey flavor does indeed make me think of a sleeping dragon softly exhaling smoke in his sleep.

It gets little astringent if you let it cool too much, so definitely drink it warm.

Flavors: Smoke, Sweet, Vegetal

I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a blend geek when it comes to teas, so I haven’t gotten a taste of too many high-brow teas. That said, Sleeping Dragon from Adagio was one of my rare excursions into quality tea and I was not disappointed. Gunpowder green is one of my favorite teas from Adagio both on its own and in blends. Sleeping Dragon is a smokier version of this great tea. This has a more toasty, nutty flavor than grassy green, but still lighter and brighter than any black teas. As a fan of hojicha, this is like the perfect union of that roasted nuttiness and the rich greens of gunpowder. Not too strange or challenging but hugely complex. I’m due to brew it again and give you some more adjectives.

Flavors: Earth, Grass, Nutty, Roasted, Smoke

I’ve either not had enough green teas lately, or too much oolong. Because this kinda smells like oolong. The flavour is light, and very vegetal. It makes me want wakame soup.

Flavors: Vegetal

A very nice green tea that holds up well to multiple steepings. This one never goes bitter on me even if I accidently oversteep, and has a smokey scent when hot. The flavor is mild and vegetal. Excellent for someone new to green tea!

First steeping: Mild, slightly vegetal, but sweeter than most greens I’ve had. Definitely requires cooler water (hotter and it gets VERY bitter). Reminds me of a greener version of Ali Shan, but not quite. Not sure if it was me or not but I had this last night and stayed up WAY past my bedtime. I am not usually so affected by tea before bed. Anyone else notice this with this tea? The leaves unfurled are beautiful. Subsequent steeps yielded a much smoother mouthfeel, sweet, and the leaves become prettier each time, I think. I never noticed the purported “smokey” flavour at all. I got about four steeps before the flavour faded. The third was best, in my opinion, for taste at least. Prefer Ali Shan over this. Rating is lower due to the easy-to-obtain bitterness of the tea. Taste-wise, I liked it just fine once brewed perfectly.