Anhui Emerald Seed

Green Tea
Earth, Flowers, Grass, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

One of the ten famous teas in China, Lu An Gua Pian originates from Anhui province. The deep green, long, curled leaves smell sweet and fresh. Once steeped, they yield a light yellow colored cup with delicate vegetal notes and a roasted seed-like quality reminiscent of toasted pumpkin seeds.

About Adagio Teas View company

Sipdown. Finishing off the last of the sample of this. Brewed in my 2-cup teapot, then poured over ice in the teacup. It’s only 9:30 AM here and already it’s stifling. Yesterday I spent the whole afternoon hiding in my room with the A/C – I brought my kettle and tasting cup up with me, and really only came downstairs to swap out the teas.

I’m docking the rating a few points, just because I’m not as enamored with it as I was – it’s great, but after trying all these delightful offerings from Teavivre, I’m just not too excited about this one. Still good, though.

So today started as a horrible day when I was awoken to find out that my debit card info had been stolen and used to purchase someone memberships on several dating sites, hope those work out for them…

That aside I figured that this tea would make me feel better. Though I ruined the smell of the dry leaf some time ago it still tastes amazing. Not as good as the day I got it mostly because i suppose it is getting old but still, amazing. I feel much better after this.

KeenTeaThyme

OMG – that’s horrible! I’m sorry that happened to you. :(

Invader Zim

I hope you get your money back!

Claire

Oh no, hope that gets fixed for you soon! It’s happened to my poor dad a couple of times now. :(

Bonnie

I CONFESS! (not really, I’m sorry …mine was stolen last month and used for google purchases $12.00 over and over and over again. Of course my bank put the money right back in my account within a couple of hours). Had to get a new card though! A bummer!

canadianadia

How frustrating. I hope that gets sorted out for you quickly.

Babble

Ugh, hope it works out. It seems everyone has a “my credit card was compromised” story. Did your bank catch it or did you? It’s always bad when you’re the one who finds it before your bank does.

Matt

Yeah now I have mine. I was the one who found it since my bank seems to think I’m sad enough to need two dating sites lol.

I decided to give this another chance tonight, since I have a little bit left in my sample bag. This time I tried steeping it for 2 minutes at 175, instead of the usual time I give greens (about a minute).
The leaves for this tea are really beautiful and live up to their description, dark green, long, and slightly curled. I just wish they had some flavor. I’m not sure if there’s something I’m doing wrong or if this is just an incredibly mellow variety of green tea. I get a little vegetal and grassy flavor out of it, but even that is barely there. The tea gets a little bitter as it cools.

Finally finishing this one up. This has a wonderful smooth flavor to it. It’s vegetal and toasty with hints of buttery flavors. Very nice :)

Its a very nice in between chinese green. It’s nutty and vegetal, sweet and dry. The leaves remind me of bancha and it does have a resemblance taste wise as well, but its also richer.
Nice reliable tea.

Experience buying from Adagio: < More later, but positive overall >

Packaging: This was a good sized sample that came in an opaque plastic package nicely decorated with their colors, the weight and the name of the tea on it, and information on the back about Adagio.

Age of leaf: I was not able to find this information on their website.

Appearance and aroma of dry leaf: smells fresh, vegetal, sweet. Like no other tea I have seen: large pale green leaves with a kind of pleat down the length of the leaf (or tightly rolled like a scroll of paper); some small bits.

Brewing guidelines: Standard parameters for my green teas Labeled as 0.5 oz tea = 6 cups of water. Glass Bodum pot where leaves are free to roam. Stevia added.
……….1st: 180; 1’
……….2nd: 182; 1.5
……….3rd: 187; 2’
……….4th: < Although I probably did a forth, I do not have the data for this >

Color and aroma of tea liquor: pale green color, mildly cloudy: < no data on aroma >

Flavor of tea liquor: sweet, fairly tasty for a green tea. Not much flavor on the third.

Appearance and aroma of wet leaf: standard vegetal aroma, but not very fresh; large leaves (like many oolongs I have seen) that were varied in their shade of green, such that most had broken edges; there were also many broken bits; it was fun watching the leaves steep: when they were fully opened (on the third steeping), the pot looked like it was filled with an underwater forest!

Value: I bought this as a sample, and as they have been out of it since I bought it, I can’t get any data on the price (but I think this style of green tea is somewhat on the pricy side).

Overall: I bought this in large part to try some of the famed Melon Seeds. Although it was fun watching the leaves steep, I was disappointed as I had heard it is generally thought of as a quality green tea. There was nothing memorable about the aroma or the flavor. But I am glad I tried it. Not a great first impression for Adagio (but the impression of this reviewer towards Adagio’s unflavored green teas has turned more hopeful since trying their White Monkey). Here’s hoping their other green teas are more flavorful!

I really love this tea. To me, it is a nice bridge between Japanese and Chinese teas. It has a medium body with slight grassy notes. It is very mild in overall flavor, so I would suggest this for a beginner. Also evident are some woody, floral, and smoky flavors. The first 2 steeps are great, but it tends to quickly decrease in strength on the third. Great afternoon tea on a cold, snowy day!

Flavors: Earth, Flowers, Grass, Wood

Mild earthy taste. I feel like if silver needle and dragonwell had a baby, it would be anhui emerald seed. It has the nutty notes of dragonwell, but is very sweet and soft like silver needle.